Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concrete stain Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm ready to stain my concrete sidewalk. It's been power washed and has dried for 3 days (per the instrcutions of the Sherman Williams rep). Now, I read the instructions on the can and learned it has to be above 50 degrees for 24 hours after applying. Unfortunately, summer has passed. It's not going to be in the 50's during the evening hours until probably next spring. How critical is this? It'll be in the low 50's during the day but in the 30's and 40's during the evening. Of course, SW rep tells me I can do what I want. Not a good answer. I don't want to do all this prep work for nothing. Any advice?

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hard to say in this situation.
Are you using a transparent, semi or solid color stain and do the directions of all three have the same advice? You might be OK if it was a mild night and you did it in the morning of a warm day.

One good thing about the stain, if it fails, it will not be hard to go over again and touch up areas next spring. NOT like peeling paint in other words.

Posts: 9635 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a solid color stain. I don't want to do it over again in the spring. I'm hoping to only have to re-stain every couple of years. I wish the rep had told me that this was the wrong time of year. I don't care to store it until spring. So, I guess 'll just have to wait. Aggghhh...

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
realize this post is very late,,, nevertheless, solid stains act more like coatings/paints impo,,, they don't change the color of the free lime in the concrete's cement,,,acid stains do,,, using UV resistant sealer protects the color,,, there isn't anything that doesn't require some maint, tho

if you hear it from an apron/vest store guy, be VERY skeptical

Posts: 265 | Location: atlanta | Registered: Jul 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post