Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Exterior Remodel 1949 Home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exterior Remodel 1949 Home Sign In/Join 
posted
I need help with materials, colors, etc. to update the exterior of a 1940's home for resale purposes. I have tried looking up Exterior Designers, have called contractors, and can't find the help I need. What should I be looking under? I need awnings, siding, color choices, material and design suggestions.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need to do all that to sell. You will only get a small portion of your money back.

Talk to a local realtor before you do anything.

Posts: 7285 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I do not have to. But I want it to look better for the last few years we live here, and I want to sell it as already flipped versus at the unflipped prices. All we have left is the outside and redo the kitchen for the 3rd time. Both things I want for me why I still have to stay here.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Try looking for a Color Consultant Home Exterior via Google. Otherwise, I'd try an architect or possibly a landscape designer. Some of the shows where they do home exteriors the entire concept is done by the landscape designer or landscape architect.

Here is one I found in my area.

http://paintconc.com/we-make-color-fun/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sparky. Those are some ideas I'll try right away.