Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Siding types - which way to go???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siding types - which way to go??? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello -

I'm new to this. My boyfriend (both early 50's) are closing this week on our first attempt at flipping a house. We have a lot to learn, so I'm hoping I can get some great advice here!

Among MANY other things, we need to replace the siding on the house. It is a typical 1960's colonial with an attached garage, so archetecturally nothing special. We're replacing really bad 12" fiber board which is failing.

We're trying to keep on a budget and yet make it look as upscale as possible, so looking to spend more when it makes sense.

I know vinyl is much cheaper than the alternatives, but I don't want it to look cheap. I see something call Dutch lap. Would this be a good compromise? I'd like to give the house a contemporary flair.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Wauwatosa, WI  | Registered: May 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I like Hardi-plank siding or other brands of fiber cement siding over vinyl. Fiber-cement insures like brick because it is flame resistant. It stands up to high winds, hail, can be easily painted if you want to change the look of your house. It holds paint extremely well, I had my 15 year old house repainted after 7 years and the paint job still looks great. I suspect I'll get another 5-7 years out of this paint job.

In my area you don't find vinyl on higher end homes. Stucco was all the rage about 15 years ago but crappy installation led to water infiltration issues and mold. It is the scarlet letter on the multi-list these days. Aluminum is unheard of here because it gets dented in the occasional hail storm. Properly installed vinyl looks OK and holds up well, it is not maintenance free, but you won't have to paint it. It can be, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of going with vinyl. Masonite siding was widely used here up until about 20 years ago when Hardi-Plank came on the scene. Now the choices really come down to vinyl, rarely seen on homes over $250K and Fiber Cement rarely seen on homes under $200K which at this point in the new market is exclusively townhouses.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6979 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
It depends upon where you live.
Here almost everyone has vinyl siding or brick. I don't know of a house that still has wood clapboard.
We'll redo in a very few years. No question: vinyl.

Posts: 5952 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post