Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Getting estimates for a privacy fence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting estimates for a privacy fence Sign In/Join 
posted
Anyone got any tips? We have about 5 estimates set up. The first one is the cheapest option and he even offered to thrown in the demo and disposal of our old fence for free. He also said that if we wait until Oct/early Nov to install he could take an extra 5% off the entire order.

Since all of the other estimates have been more expensvie and the companies aren't willing to throw us a deal, this makes me worried about the cheap guys. Are they just desperate for work? Do they do crappy work? They have a few medium rated reviews online.

Anyone got any advice on this or negotiating tools? I am in Minneapolis if that helps

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
What type of material? Cedar or pressure treated? Thickness of boards? Placed with prebuilt sections or board next to board nailed? (I like this better than the sections, and pay a bit more to place 3 stringer 2 x 4s across instead of two) this reduces warping and costs very little extra.

Ask for some recent jobs that they have completed and talk to the home owners?

Posts: 9652 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're getting a cedar 6 foot privacy fence for most of it and then a matching 4 foot cedar picket for the back driveway. He said they stick build the fence, so no sections (for the cheapest estimate) Also we are looking at the framed style that does have the 3rd board across.

Conrad - Why do you prefer stick built instead of sections?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It can follow the land contours much closer, if you want it down to the ground level.
I would also insist on boards being set as close as possible (some fencers will try to span between boards to reduce board/picket numbers). The boards tend to shrink a bit over time anyway, and if you want privacy, seems a good idea to have them close together.

Posts: 9652 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post