Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Need help deciding on siding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help deciding on siding Sign In/Join 
posted
2 years ago we bought a foreclosure and have slowly been working on fixing it up. Our next step is to fix the exterior.

Our house is a traditional colonial style with white wood siding. A lot of the siding is damaged so we are looking at vinyl because of the lower maintenance.

Question one, do you think it would be ok to replace it with vinyl? We had someone tell us our house wouldn't look right with vinyl. We're considering 5" dutchlap.

The second question is would it be ok to up gray siding? We really aren't fans of white houses, but I don't want it to look funny either.
Picture attached.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lots_to_do,

house

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
beautiful house! if you are in an HOA/planned community, might want to check to see if you have any color options before you make a final decision. I'm in an HOA-community, any exterior changes have to be approved (color of door, shutters, exterior lights, storm doors, etc). Good luck!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Actually, we're kind of in the country so we can do whatever we want. Smile

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of vinyl so I won't go there. If there isn't a lot of damaged wood you may want to get the house power washed and have the damaged siding replaced with more wood. Then go for a decent paint job. If there is more than 30% of the siding needing replaced I'd probably look at Hardi-Plank or another brand of fiber cement siding. Your location would help too, put that in your profile. General location, state or city and state is enough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6870 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. We're in southwest Arkansas where it's hot and humid in the summer with fairly mild winters.

I need to do some research on the fiber cement siding. I saw the Hardi-Plank yesterday at Lowes.

posted Hide Post
We just put crane core siding on our home last year...it is a composite that looks like wood and has a lifetime warranty...it looks like wood and is not vinyl. Pretty expensive, but we considered that if we painted the house vs. siding over the years the cost would be the same. We love it and one of our neighbors just did their home with this as well. It would look great on a colonial.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
do you have to consider tornados? while i'm a fan of vinyl siding, i'd listen to sparky...vinyl siding nailing isn't "tight" due to expansion and contraction...

while i LOVE grey (ours is half grey with red brick bottom, white door/trim) i'd take a picture to a paint store and see if they can show what it looks like...colonial screams white...

Posts: 8489 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that has come a long long way from foreclosure. It looks amazing. This actually looks like my dream house. Any plans of selling? :P

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 735 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post