Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wire fencing Sign In/Join 
posted
We didn't have kids when we installed a split rail fence and lined the inside with wire fencing. We then trimmed the wire fence as even as we could with the top wood rail, leaving sharp points that we have found will cut little hands. What can we do to the points to dull them? This is an example of the wire fencing we used:

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Easiest fix might be to screw a color/wood matching 1x2 or 1x3 inch, trim board to the side of the top rail, to cover over the ends of the wire fence. If the points are still an issue after that, put another one (L fastened) to lap over the top also.

BTW, In my experience, kids do grow and learn pretty fast. When little things hurt they will usually stop the behavior causing it, on their own. Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time, cut the wire fencing at the bottom instead of at the top. Wink

In the mean time, run to you local home improvement store and buy yourself a cheap angle grinder ($29) and grind down the points. It shouldn't take put a few seconds per point.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Jim987, I told hubby we should do it that way when we started, but..."noooooo, it'll be ok this way" he said, lol. Live and learn I guess.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
BTW, In my experience, kids do grow and learn pretty fast. When little things hurt they will usually stop the behavior causing it, on their own. Wink

My thoughts exactly!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post