Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

painting brick Sign In/Join 
posted
Has anyone ever painted the bricks of your foundation?

Posts: 460 | Registered: Apr 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Nearly any clean, sound surface can successfully be painted.
So if your foundation is actually fired brick or textured/stamped concrete or concrete block, a good cleaning and primer should make the paint application successful. Might want to check with a pro paint store in your area for the best advice and product choices, for the way you want it to look when complete.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok, I might try this under the deck where no one will see it if I mess up.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We just painted our foundation and are thankful for the advice of the professionals at the paint store.

Posts: 5202 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was it just like painting a wall? rolling it on with a roller?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Once it is clean and really dry, (power washer is often the best, but a good hose blast along with a stiff brush can work too) the right roller cover and brush to work into deeper grooves works well. Get a good paint store recommended masonry primer too, it will stick to any surface for a sound base.

The roller cover you need is especially for rough areas. Often a foam roller with slices in it to allow it to sponge into any grooves and pockets in the masonry. A brush may also work to catch any areas needed as well as smooth out any drips. Have a clean plastic trash bag handy for breaks, as you do not want to have the paint dry in the roller or brush.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still am not sure yet. We are almost finished with the other projects and I will wait to see how the current brick color looks against everything else.

posted Hide Post
You do realize that once it is painted you will have to continue to paint it on a regular basis?

Posts: 7061 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regular, as in every year or 3-4 years?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If properly cleaned, primed and painted with quality paint, we have had painted vertical brick surfaces still looking fine after 15+ years.

posted Hide Post
Some will last a long time but I have seen many that do not. Yes, it could be every 3 - 5 years or it could be much longer. It will depend upon the ground around and exposure to the elements. (Plantings etc.)

Posts: 7061 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the 'General Remodeling-painting brick' thread. I posted on the wrong site.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,
You don't need to cross post between the two boards. The same regulars read both boards and we don't get hung up on where you put it. I will point out to people that post on little used boards they'd be better off posting it in a more often used board. The show boards don't get a lot of traffic, mainly because they're for shows that HGTV doesn't run anymore.. The remodeling boards get a fair amount of traffic.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6954 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post