Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Neighbor has stuff leaned against our fence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor has stuff leaned against our fence Sign In/Join 
posted
We have a very old dilapidated fence separating the lots. Neighbor has a bunch of wood and misc stuff leaning on it. We are going to be tearing down the old fence and having a new one installed in 3 to 4 weeks. (we're in mpls if that matters). Since the fence is ours and on our property do we have the right to ask them to move their stuff and not to let anyithing lean on it in the future? If you have experience with this, what happens if they don't cooperate?Thanks!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you not on good terms with your neighbors? Talk to them!

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes, if the fence is completely on your property, and you paid for it, it is your right to not allow anything leaning or attached to it on their side.

However, I agree with the suggestion to also talk to them about your plans and concerns. Make sure to point out the new fence will enhance the privacy and look of both your yards and you do not want anything to be leaning or stacked against it, to shorten it's life.

If they did anything to damage or cause issue, then I suppose small claims court would be your avenue of litigation. Hopefully a friendly chat should take care of any future issues.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just moved in about a month ago, and have met the neighbors once. We've been trying to go over there to talk to them but they never answer the door. I'm thinking we'll try again and leave a note just to make sure they know well in advance. They're older and disabled so I'm not sure they are able to move the stuff themselves, and I don't want to end up with my husband, who is too nice, volunteering to do it. I guess we're just thinking worst case scenario at this point.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If they truly are disabled/older, you might just be stuck "helping them" to lay the stuff in their yard (no obligation to do more than that). Are you taking down the old fence and getting rid of it, or is this part of the new fence crew's job?

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's basically a pretty big stack of wood against the fence plus a smaller stack of bricks. And a few random patio chairs and misc. stuff. The crew that is putting up the new fence will be taking the old one down. They have someone that they pay to mow their lawn, and I think he does other odd jobs for them, so I am hoping they will pay him to move their stuff. I basically told my husband to hold out as long as he can before volunteering as a last resort. Since we don't know them, I don't want to move their junk then get blamed if something isn't to their liking

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good plan. Perhaps they will realize with the new fence...it might be time to clean up their space and make it more enjoyable. One can hope anyway.Wink

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We found a neighborhood that actually talks and helps out as needed without stepping on toes. It starts with hello.

Neighbors vary. Some neighbors, have the homeowner experience & knowledge. Others, are new to home owning and what to do. Everyone learns at their own levels/time element. Plus, they WANT to learn and not have it done for them. And...some neighbors are retired with more time on their hands for their beautiful yards. Or, those who are retired and can't handle yard work. I'm thankful that NOT everyone is the same. What a boring world this would be!

When we enlarge our shed, I know it won't be the neatest area around...but our neighbors have seen the transformation we've been making with our backyard. They're really interested when we'll get our bread-pizza brick oven built because we've offered a neighborhood pizza party with the completed project. They had been wondering why we had the wood cribs when we obviously don't own a fireplace. We've had neighbors' trees fallen from storms and neighbors have given us the timber. My DH knows his way around chainsaws and always willing to help.

Best wishes with your new fence!

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
our neighbor is installing a pond (about 4x as big as ours) but really ugly! thanks be they also have good fence, lol...

i'd leave the note...often elders these days won't answer the door with good reason, or they can't hear you...

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we actually decided to just leave a note with our phone number yesterday since we haven't seen them. Now we're worried becasue we haven't seen their van for about 3 days and they've left their laundry hanging on the line for a few days as well.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That does not sound good. Frown

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Ronklyn, Any news or contact with the neighbors?

posted Hide Post
Yes actually! Turns out they just went on a trip (and left their laundry hanging out while they were gone) My husband had put his number on the note we left and the neighbor called when they got back. In the end my husband ended up volunteering to help (more like do it all) move the stuff so sometime over the next few weeks he will be over there. The bonus is that he's going to gently hint at just restacking the wood against their garage instead of the same place so that way it's not against the new fence

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thats good.
More than gently hint...INSIST!
Tell them that outdoor, stacked wood anywhere tends to attract mice, termites and other vermin too. Wink

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Don't stack it against their garage. as Conrad points out that is an invitation to termites. Your post indicates that your husband is going to recommend the garage as a location to store the wood, bad idea.

If they have a wood burning fireplace or stove and actually use it find a place away from your fence and their garage to stack it. Otherwise,offer it up for free on your local freecycle to someone who will use it. Or, get rid of it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6976 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll try to get it nearer their garage/ into their yard and further from our house. They're basically hoarders and there's no way they're giving up their wood/junk piles. He even asked if he could have pieces from the old fence to add to his stack.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
""He even asked if he could have pieces from the old fence to add to his stack.""

Whoa...LOL! Tell him, "No way! It is in your contract to have it all hauled off!" And make sure to tell the fence guys to back you up. Smile

posted Hide Post
Update - My husband and his friend cleared the stuff from the fence area and stacked it along the neighbors garage over the weekend. We wanted it as far from our yard as possible. The neighbor is nice, but definitely has a severe hoarding disease. He called after they were done to say "job well done" but then couldn't help but ask where certain bricks, wood, tarps, junk were placed. And asked AGAIN if he could have the old fence but husband lied and told him his dad was taking it. So we're set to have the posts put in this Thurs, exciting!!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good Job!
No doubt you will really appreciate the fence once it is up.

I do keep any vines from growing on our fence, (both sides). I think the one neighbor sort of likes them, but too bad, they get clipped and sprayed if I notice them between the boards.