Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Rain Gutter looks Slanted Outward
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rain Gutter looks Slanted Outward Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I just noticed that a section of rain gutter on my house looks like it wasn't attached properly. I'm not sure if it a problem with the gutter, the hangers or what the gutter is attached to. It's about 10 feet up and I don't have a ladder with which I can reach it. What does it look like to you? There's only one gutter business in our yellow pages. I had them come and look, but they were more interested in installing all new gutters and downspouts than just repairing the problem ares. Any idea who else I could call?

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
WL,
It looks to me like there isn't a flat surface behind the gutters for the them to be attached to. It looks like you have crown molding there. In order to get them to hang straight you'd need a different kind of hanger. You must be in a REALLY small town to only have one gutter company in your yellow pages. A good handyman could swap out the hangers with the right kind to get them to hang straight. Are you having issues with the water overshooting the gutters? If the rain water is flowing into the gutters and the are draining into the downspout I might be inclined to leave it as is for now. Unless you have a couple of hundred burning a hole your pocket that you want to use to stimulate the local home improvement industry.

If you were to fix this, I'd take this opportunity to clean and repaint the wood behind the gutters. The corner on the crown looks like it has opened up. Also, unless the roof gets a lot wider out of the frame of the picture I'm not sure why you even have gutters. If that awning is over a door it alone is going to dump rain on you as you walk up to the door. The gutter collecting rain off of a 18" wide roof isn't going to amount to much. The pictures don't really show how deep the roof is, I assume it goes back at the piece of white flashing on the top picture.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6950 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
This type of bracket would enable you to have your gutters hang straight without having a piece of flat wood behind them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_83709-...Bbrackets&facetInfo=

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6950 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Here is a long shot of the house. The red circled area is where the gutter is tilted.

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Neat older home with some good bones. Did you look over some of the other questions I raised? A different kind of hanger bracket would be needed to make them hang straight, I linked to one type that would work.

General Disclaimer