Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Need Solution for Backyard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Solution for Backyard Sign In/Join 
posted
We bought this house last year. It was closed for couple of years. In the backyard there is this slope which was covered with HUGE bushes which we uprooted. now there are weeds all over the place. This year we need to fix this. We were looking for different idea and solutions.
My questions were:

1. Is it possible to reduce the slope (get a flat or flatter backyard)
2. What else can i do with the slope.
3. How to i get rid of weeds completely and put grass over it.

We are tight on budget.
Picture attached

Back Yard slope and weeds

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short of bringing large amounts of fill I would suggest to terrace it. Depending on the distance(pic's don't indicate) this could be done in multiples. As for the weeds & grass which is usually a stiff competition I would use a herbicide and kill all the exisiting vegitation. Then after a couple weeks till the soil, add soil neutrients, and selected grass seed for the region & area. Remember that you will have to mow so make the terraces wide enough to accomidate a riding mower (if you have one). Not all the area has to be grass if you are into gardening. Using inexpensive stacked retaining wall blocks it is a DIY project.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
You don't give your location. This will make a difference in when you seed your yard and what types of seed you can use.

In the south putting down a cool season grass now will fail. We seed in the early fall with fescue here. If you want to go with a warm season grass like Zozia or Bermuda it will go in soon. These grasses are frost sensitive and will brown out when the frost hits in winter. These grasses have the advantage of not using a lot of water during the summer, but they are brown all summer.

How is the access to the back yard? To terrace it you need access to bring in equipment and fill.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post