Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Sound Blocking Fence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound Blocking Fence Sign In/Join 
posted
I wasn't sure who to ask, and someone suggested posting this here. We have a major problem with Noisy neighbors. You've heard of the neighbors from He_ _ . Unfortunetly, they live beside us. Our problem is the noise. They play their music so loud it vibrates the pictures off our bedroom wall. And when they watch tv, we can sit on the foot of our bed and tell you what they are watching. We have ask them repeatedly to turn it down and other neighbors have even call the police. We do have a noise ordinance. Nothing works. They don't care. I was hoping you could tell me how to block the noise. Is there a fence or something we can put up between us and them and block the noise? Any and all suggestions welcome. PLEASE Help...

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention whether you live in an apartment , duplex or single home. They do have remedies for wall sound penetration. A couple different approaches but it requires that your wall covering(drywall) be removed. There is sound insulation available as well as double drywall with an air space between. I would suggest you contact an insulation company and see if they have done any of these approaches.

If it is just coming through your walls from the house next door(seperated) a fence of types might work if you can construct it in a manner that it absorbs the sound in dead air spaces. Take a look at along a freeway where they erect barriers that keep the noise away from houses in developements. Those high walls are not required and they are built only to stop the traffic noise. Generally there is just a wire fence to keep animals and persons from walking onto the freeways.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding. There are no apartments where we live. It's a very nice and was a quiet neighborhood. We live in a single family detached home. I was hoping for some type of fence. I really didn't want to tear out the wall and redo it. Is there any type of fencing that we can buy or would we have to build something specificately to absorb the sound?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting links, Redoverfarm.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I feel for you noogs. Frown I used to live in a subdivision too, and hated the noise from neighbors who didn't care. Aside from taking them to court and having them fined constantly for disturbing the peace and making enemies, you could try soundproofing your home.

I don't know what kind of fence would help unless it's the kind you see on the sides of the interstate, but soundproofing your home may help a little. Thick curtains, sealing windows and doors and wearing earplugs at night.

Maybe a grove of fast growing clumping bamboo planted close together?

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I would avoid bamboo. It can and will take over the yard.

Plants help screen the noise but it will go through the plants. To attenuate noise you need hardscape like a wall or possibly a berm if the noise source were low to the ground like tire noise from a nearby road.

Music noise is going to hit your house. Better windows, extra drywall, and drapes can help.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post