Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Adding brick / stone to exterior
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding brick / stone to exterior Sign In/Join 
posted
I need suggestions on what areas of the house to add brick/stone to. I would love to do the entire home, but I don't think it's in the budget at this point. I'd appreciate any input / suggetions on what areas to do for the most bang for the buck as far as improving the overall appearance. Thanks! If you need side photos, I would happily add them.

front house

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one side

side

posted Hide Post
garage side

garage side

posted Hide Post
the back - I think we would leave this siding with the exception of adding stone around the base of the columns on the porch.

back

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about real brick or stone veneer, you will need special footings around the base to hold the weight. Brick and stone are HEAVY, even a few vertical feet of them.

Posts: 9639 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you do will just be accents to the house. Maybe the foundation, around entry door and maybe garage front. Natural stone is usually cost prohibitive now days with Mason wages. Faux or Cultured stone can be managed more so.

The post are not sufficent size to stone. You could frame out larger at the base to make it work.

http://i220.photobucket.com/al...ghtop/100_1814-1.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/al...ghtop/100_2841-1.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/al...ghtop/100_2910-1.jpg

Posts: 731 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response
Yes, that's what I am referring to. We have already discussed that with the installer. At this point I am just trying to decide if/where to add it. Thanks!