Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Stained Gutters...Bad Bad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stained Gutters...Bad Bad Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
We just bought a home that is 12 years old. It's been well kept on the inside. The outside has some issues. I don't think the owners EVER cleaned the outside of the gutters. Atleast not on the back. I used bleach and I also used "the works" for hard water stains and mildew. With magic eracer, sponges, scrubbys in hand I scrubbed a 7 foot section for 2 hours. It's better, but still dingy. It was charcoal grey in some areas. The gutters are in great shape and they have gutter gaurds on them. Any tips, I would HATE to have to paint and make more work. We cleaned our gutters every spring and the sparkled. I'm posting on cleaning board as well. Thanks guys.
ruby

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have white seamless aluminum gutters, and 4 years ago when we had the house painted, I cleaned the outsides. (now they could certainly use it again)

I used TSP in warm water, and any really stubborn areas I used Krud Kutter spray, (at least I think that was what it was called). The two worked quite well on the white exterior of the gutters and downs.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as they hate to admit it, the Magic Eraser is an abrasive and between that and your scrubby, you're probably creating some headaches for yourself in the long run. Nothing major but scratching the surface of the paint on the gutters creates lots of tiny places for future black gunk to gather.

I use an RV/Boat cleaner on mine. It comes in a bottle that you attach to the end of your garden hose. Spray it on and rinse it off. If you have a really bad situation you may have to use a cloth or sponge and do some scrubbing but it takes pretty much everything off.

Once you do get them clean (assuming these are Aluminum gutters) you can help yourself out and use a small buffer and some automotive paste wax on them. If you can get that done future clean up is a breeze.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post