HGTV Message Boards
new roof and other improvements

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1774011632/m/2823976967

Apr 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
sunshine52
new roof and other improvements
We need a new roof. I would like to change the color. I would also like to paint our vinyl siding. Changing the colors would allow us to get new windows and trim. I would also like to take the railing from the front porch and put up stacked stone pillars. We have the time and money to do all of it, we just don't know if it is possible to do those things without problems. Any ideas on how to start?

And with the exception of the roof, we will NOT be hiring anyone.
Apr 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
Sparky
Some pictures might help. Also your location would help.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 12, 2013, 10:46 AM
sunshine52
I am in NC. I hesitate to put pictures on the website, I will try to find something generic that looks like my house. It is a 2 story colonial cream color vinyl siding. I am wanting to change the siding color to a light green with black shingles. Different color shutters also.
Apr 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
redoverfarm
If you need a new roof then that would be the first thing to tackle. All others are not dependent on the roof to do.

Looks like all is achievable with the exception of painting the vinyle. Not real sure about that one. Maybe someone else has tried and succeeded but my gut feeling is that you may have a hard time getting paint to bond to the vinyle. Might check w/ Sherman Williams ( other than the paint department at one of the big box stores) and see if it is possible.

The stone pillars would probably be no problem unless they are supporting a roof then you will have to have a substrait for support ( wood, metal or block) under the stone(cultured stone). The railing might be needed by code in your circumstance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,
Apr 18, 2013, 01:01 PM
conrad
If you have shingles replaced, be aware that black, or other dark colors, absorb solar heat and do not reflect it. During the warm weather months, you will need a lot of venting and insulation in the attic space to compensate for the heat build up.
Your shingles will probably not last as long (as compared to a bit lighter shades), due to the added heat also.
Apr 21, 2013, 07:59 AM
sunshine52
we have brown now. would the black make THAT much of a difference?
Apr 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
conrad
If your current is a really dark brown, maybe not. Be aware also that shingle color may tend to fade a bit over time, especially the darkest black, may turn to more of a charcoal? Good question to ask the manufacturer. You are looking at asphalt or fiberglass, I am assuming?

Roofing is expensive to have installed/old removed (besides the cost of new materials), so we have always got the best we could afford (usually 25 year warranty)...as one tends to live longer in a home than one would think, and we never wanted to have to replace a roof just to sell or pass inspection.

Our retirement home has a 9 year old metal roof, so we figure another 40 years for that type. We are stuck with green, but in the mountains it is not a bad color. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,
Apr 24, 2013, 09:12 AM
Sparky
In my part of NC almost all of the roofs are dark. I talked with a roofing contractor a couple of years ago about the roof on our church that we were looking to replace. We were trying to decide between a white membrane and the less expensive black membrane roof. He said in NC it is about even from the heat gain in winter to the extra heat load in summer. I'm suspect, because it seems with air condition a lot more than heat. With the pollen I usually go from heat directly to AC in the spring. I can open the house up in the fall. We're already running the AC, though for the last couple of days it hasn't been running because we had a cool snap.

With the transition and colonial look of the houses in my 12-16 year old neighborhood a light colored roof would really look out of place and would not likely be approved by the HOA.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

May 23, 2013, 08:16 AM
sunshine52
We decided to go with new siding. We are going to use the existing pieces as a template. Can vinyl siding be cut with a mitre saw, jigsaw or circular saw? We do not have time to rent a cutter (this will take about 2 weeks to complete) and I can't imagine using scissors on it.
May 23, 2013, 09:16 AM
Jim978
quote:
Originally posted by sunshine52:
We decided to go with new siding. We are going to use the existing pieces as a template. Can vinyl siding be cut with a mitre saw, jigsaw or circular saw? We do not have time to rent a cutter (this will take about 2 weeks to complete) and I can't imagine using scissors on it.

I use a mitre saw with a plywood blade in it most of the time. Some guys will flip the blade backwards but I usually don't bother. It'll cut vinyl just fine. You'll still need a pair of heavy shears for some spots but you can knock out the straight cuts pretty easily with the saw.