Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Need help with exterior door color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with exterior door color Sign In/Join 
posted
We painted out exterior door today (next to garage) and are not 'thrilled' about the color. We are holding off on painting the second door until we find a color we like.

Can someone help us select a better color? The photo of the house is below. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TimMAz6,

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like that color! I think it will look great when both doors are painted! It also seems that you should use that color somewhere else, too. I am not sure where....maybe the shutters.

You could post this same question on the "General Decorating" category. Those folks are very helpful and talented!

Posts: 3198 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What door do you want people to use? That door should be the brightest color and the other painted the same as the body of the house. Unless you want people to pause and scratch their heads about where to go.

Posts: 7120 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.....the main door is not the door next to the garage door. I think we will repaint the door next to the garage 'white' to match the siding and perhaps paint the main door red as shown below in this rendering. How this?? PS, the shutters are a dark green.

posted Hide Post
I think that would look good. So many colors go with the green shutters it is really just a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 7120 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great help!

We re-painted the door to white today.

Next weekend we'll paint the other door.....we are currently thinking the brick red.

Here's the white door we just finished.

posted Hide Post
If I was coming to your house I would appreciate knowing which door to go to. Now it is evident. I am sure your visitors will appreciate your work ( even if they didn't know you had to paint it twice!)