Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   Outdoor Projects
  Hardie Board Siding Questions ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardie Board Siding Questions ... Sign In/Join 
Picture of slgjag
posted
It is being recommended that we replace the current pine siding on our home due to shrinkage of the siding boards and that we consider hardie board siding (cement fiberboard) with the wood grain. Does anyone have experience with this product? Pros? Cons? If you have it, do you have it painted to resemble wood and, if so, what paint and color did you use? Sorry for all the questions, but this is a large ticket item and I'm trying to research the decision as much as possible

Julie

"My God is a mountain mover."

Posts: 523 | Location: NC | Registered: Mar 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
We have Hardi-plank on our 15 year old house. It is the original siding. Ours was not prepainted as it wasn't available back when the house was built. We've had the house repainted since the builder original paint job after about 7 years. We used a semi-gloss or satin on the repaint job. It is holding up very well and cleans much easier than the builder grade flat.

Our house is a sage green, it was originally gray.

I have also installed Hardi-plank a few times. It makes a lot of dust if you cut it with a power saw. Dust masks highly recommended. It takes paint beautifully. I've installed some Hardi-Panel T1-11 and would never use wood T1-11 again.

From a homeowner insurance perspective it should save you some money versus wood or vinyl. It is about as flame resistant as brick.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6976 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slgjag
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sparky, for the info. Our home is a mountain chalet in western NC. I have been researching and talking to various individuals for several days and it seems the consensus to go with hardi-plank. I spoke with a supplier today who actually advised that the Nichiha board has a little more wood graining texture than the hardi-plank but with the same warranties, etc. so we may go with that to maintain the integrity of the home and mix with the aesthetics of the neighborhood. Do you recall what brand of paint you used on yours? All of this started because of a roof leak!!!!

Julie

"My God is a mountain mover."

Posts: 523 | Location: NC | Registered: Mar 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Sherwin Williams Duration.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6976 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post