Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rug or no rug Sign In/Join 
Picture of annielinz
posted
So I bought this area rug online not seeing it in person for the new house. Its not returnable(what was I thinking) so I've been hesitant to open it up.
Well I have had no area rug in the current LR for months so I figured what the heck, rip the bandaid off and see what I bought.
Phew, I like it.
So my question to you all is, since this house will be on the market soon, do I keep the rug down or go with no rug on the floor.
Here's a couple of pictures.
One was taken last night (lighting may look different and I've moved a few accessories since last night)....
And then this morning.
No rug:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
with Rug:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the rug. I vote to keep it in place to show the house.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6168 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Keep the rug for now, but remove it when you put your home on the market.

Your drop-dead-gorgeous wood floors are a strong selling point, so don't hide them.

ETA: I know this sounds silly, but I have heard of prospective buyers concerned about seeing a rug on wood floors, as if it might be hiding some kind of flaw or stain.

PS Your home is just lovely. Best of luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
its a beautiful rug but I too would let those beautiful floors show while the home was on the market..

good luck~!

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love the rug. It look great either way. I'm no help.....

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the rug. I think it adds just the right amount of pattern and warmth to the room. I would leave it down for showings as it makes the room more approachable, but your realtor should be the one who provides the definitive answer as she/he knows the market and buyer expectations.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input ladies.

I see both sides, because I do have area rugs down in the rooms where the floor is, lets just say "distressed".
So for now I will enjoy it.

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Love the rug. But I would take it up for sale purposes. You can use it in your new place.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Annie is that an Ikea couch? If so how do you like it?

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
CaraRose its the Friday sectional from JC Penney.
I like it very much. You do have to dry clean the slipcovers though.

My daughter has the white ektorp couch from Ikea with the chaise...it is really well made and very comfortable. I'm considering one of those for the sunroom at the new place.

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
The rug warms up the space and still allows for plenty of your hardwood floor to show. Keep it!

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie, I LOVE the rug. I think either decision would work. Room looks beautiful with or without it.

Have you had your slipcovers dry cleaned yet? If so did they come out nice? They sure do look great in the picture.
I have read reviews online where people have washed then the washing machine in cold water. But DO NOT put them in the dryer. And they say they come out fantastic. They put them back of the sofa damp. I have not cleaned mine yet, as they still look great. So I was wondering.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
lilsophie I've only cleaned the cushions,not the whole kit and kaboodle. I took them to the dry cleaners and they came out fine, maybe a little less stiff. They really need to be done again, but I'll wait till after the move. I'm still leary to throw them in the wash, I wonder did they hang them to dry?
Jewel, thank you, I was thinking that also.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
lilsophie I've only cleaned the cushions,not the whole kit and kaboodle. I took them to the dry cleaners and they came out fine, maybe a little less stiff. They really need to be done again, but I'll wait till after the move. I'm still leary to throw them in the wash, I wonder did they hang them to dry?
Jewel, thank you, I was thinking that also.

It just said they washed them in the machine on gentle and in cold water. And put them back on when they were still pretty damp. I wouldn't let them dry before putting them back on, might get some shrinkage maybe.
I think these slipcovers and the whole set are getting discontinued. They hardly have any choice of colors now. It's really a bummer. I bet you can't even get any for your sectional, if you needed new ones. Frown

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Annie,the Ektorp was the one I was looking at last time I was there. I love the chaise couch combo too.

Thanks for telling me about it. I looked it over pretty good and thought it was well built, but wanted info from someone who actually had it.

posted Hide Post
I like it. It sort of "grounds" your room. It's a lovely and very appealing room.
You did a good job.
Keep it.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the rest of your floor is in good shape, I doubt any prospective buyers are going to think you are hiding something. If they do, they can simply lift a corner to see the floors are the same underneath.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I like the rug and I'd keep it for the showings. It makes the room seem warm and inviting.

Posts: 1089 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am with those who voting keeping the rug in place for showings. I feel it not only looks well pulled together, but there is plenty of handsome wood floor exposed. Regarding concerns that it may appear you are hiding a flaw or damage, any serious buyer need only ask their agent to inspect underneath it. I see no red flags due to your area rug's placement. It is pretty, warms the space as others have said, and balances the dark floor. Lovely choice and overall space. Good luck with the sale.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BTW, can you turn the grouping to face the fireplace?

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, cozy room.

For selling, I would remove part of the sectional and some of the other furniture, grouping the remaining pieces towards the fireplace - depending upon the adjoining space that's out of frame.

Can't tell but the rug may be a little large to work in front of the f/p. If so, it could simply be removed to show off more of your beautiful floors.

Great job, Annie!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I vote for keeping the rug too. I like it there and I think it makes the room look warmer.

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Froo and Aquabella- The room is small and that darn corner fireplace has been a thorn in my side since we lived there. Pretty much the only arrangement that flows, is the way I have it. If I face it to the fireplace then upon entering you see the back of the couch and it closes off the room and seems uninviting Also on the wall facing the couch is where the TV is.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Love the rug and think it adds a lot to the room. However, I'd remove it when you list the house for the reason that sometimes viewers are not always careful and might not remove their shoes. With a light rug like that it might become soiled.

No one will miss what they haven't previously seen and the room looks great without the rug.

Having once been 'in real estate' and also having listed and sold several of our houses I have seen a lot of different types of people. Hard to believe some of them.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post