Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  School clothes shopping = decor palette confusion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School clothes shopping = decor palette confusion Sign In/Join 
posted
Went to Kohls today to get the oldest DS some school clothes and saw dinnerware place settings on display. I should've just kept on walking, because I've went and confused myself. I was going to use whites with touches of black/tans as my color palette for our home (inspiration: downtoearthstyle.blogspot.com) Then I saw the different colored Food Network Fontina (mustard yellow, teal, deep coral, taupe, red...autumn colors) dinnerware place settings grouped together. Now I don't know what to do, the colors were so pretty when you grouped them together Frown I'm so irritated with myself, now I'm questioning my palette. There are just so many choices, how do you choose???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
Went to Kohls today to get the oldest DS some school clothes and saw dinnerware place settings on display. I should've just kept on walking, because I've went and confused myself. I was going to use whites with touches of black/tans as my color palette for our home (inspiration: downtoearthstyle.blogspot.com) Then I saw the different colored Food Network Fontina (mustard yellow, teal, deep coral, taupe, red...autumn colors) dinnerware place settings grouped together. Now I don't know what to do, the colors were so pretty when you grouped them together Frown I'm so irritated with myself, now I'm questioning my palette. There are just so many choices, how do you choose???

I would go ahead and use the Tans, blacks and whites myself. Sounds great and and you can add touches of other colors for some pop.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ah the power of advertising. The visual merchandiser did his/her job.

I agree, use neutrals so you can add colors now and then. I like neutral dish ware because I can bring color in via linens.

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Ah the power of advertising. The visual merchandiser did his/her job.

LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the plate grouping. The colors worked so well together and were gorgeous.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
I would go ahead and use the Tans, blacks and whites myself. Sounds great and and you can add touches of other colors for some pop.

It took me a long time to settle on this palette, I do love it, and I'd hate to have to rethink my whole house decor over again. I slept on it and decided to keep it, it feels comfortable to me. Thanks for helping keep me on track Smile

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest going back to that blog and look at your original choice in color palette to draw you back but it sounds like you decided to stick with the white/black/tan. That would be me, stuck between wanting a neutral palette but still drawn to color at every turn!!

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Stick to your plan, I know sounds boring... but you can always enhance your original main dish set with a color plate here and there, load up your main dishes and BUY only what fits in your china storage cabinet.

And I think what Froo wrote: 'the power of advertising. The visual merchandiser did his/her job' meant... GOT YOU DISTRACTED so they want to redirect the dollars you were going to spend on your basic idea and use it for the 'flash' you just saw! Good advice from Froo!
That is WHY the merchandiser did her job!

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
It took me a long time to settle on this palette, I do love it, and I'd hate to have to rethink my whole house decor over again. I slept on it and decided to keep it, it feels comfortable to me. Thanks for helping keep me on track Smile

Good, I'm glad you are happy with your decision and it's often a good idea to stay neutral especially with costlier items.

HOWEVER, (and I don't want to influence you to change your mind) if one always makes the wise, neutral, traditional choices there may be regrets later. I know I've lived long enough to treasure those times I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something completely different. It's what gives life spice and interest. The neutral dishes I thought I loved because they are neutral stay in the cupboard more than my more colorful ones that I really enjoy using. And the really unusual art and accessories I've bought make my house much more interesting that the good old traditional boring things. This style of decorating is not for everyone but I'm applying it to the rest of my life as well and hope that no one will ever accuse me of being boring in my style. At the moment I'm concentrating on my style of clothing and am having a lot of fun with it and have had compliments from younger women on my 'different' clothes.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
MB I went to look at the collection of dishes at Kohls and only the red seemed different. Maybe they don't have all the colors on the website because I don't remember teal or coral.

For me it wouldn't much matter as my china seems to change often. There is another thread on here (can't remember the topic) where I show a pic of my kitchen's cupboards. They do not look like pic at all anymore.

In fact I gave a niece the Johnson Bros. complete set of china last summer.

The only thing I would caution about is that heavy dishes like the ones at Kohl's tend to chip more easily (or maybe it just shows more)
I once had dark green Ralph Lauren dishes like those and they all chipped.

Bottom line is: don't think of dishes as "ever more" accessories. They can be or they can't be. Compared to most household furnishings they are pretty inexpensive!

Posts: 12209 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine wanted new dinnerware and found just what she wanted....dark colors. She tried to put them in the dishwasher and the plates were too big (her DW shelves were not adjustable). She immediately took them back. I have used the same corelle dishes for years and still love them.

love life

Posts: 1433 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post