Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Vinyl Floor Tiles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl Floor Tiles Sign In/Join 
posted
Happy New Year Panel!

Has anyone used a stick-n-peel floor covering called Novalis? It is sold at Lowes and I've read really good reviews on it on various sites. Between the husband's new bass boat and the 18 year old's college fees, I need an inexpensive way to spruce up the floors in our house. Thanks for any information.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience, but offer you this related topic link for some feedback...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...sg0911023312366.html

BTW, regarding vinyl flooring, I have had it in sheet goods in a previous home's kitchen and therefore do NOT recommend any with texture as the depressed areas are difficult to keep clean.

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo Froo. After a good night's sleep, I don't really plan on pursuing the peel-n-stick option! I just sometimes experience decorating pains when I think about all the things I want to do to my house!!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind tho that there are several inexpensive options depending on your room sizes, sub flooring, family lifestyle, geographic location and budget. Some are rug remnants which can be bound to lay as an area rug, indoor/outdoor rugs, sisal rugs, rag rugs, box store area rugs, discontinued rugs, stenciled rugs, etc.

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We have successfully used these tiles in our bathroom and they last and look fine. It is certainly an inexpensive option and sometimes that is all that is available (cost wise) Best of all, no toilets need to be reset or a tile setter hired.

Very easy to apply and remove.

Posts: 12645 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the brand name, but we bought 12 x 12 vinyl peel 'n stick vinyl tiles from Lowe's last March. We had just moved into our resale home and had all the carpeting in the bathrooms (yuck!) ripped out. So, we needed a temporary flooring until we could renovate the baths.

The tiles were in a handsome almond/tan slate pattern and heavy duty with a strong adhesive back. DH installed them directly over the concrete slab. He found them easy to cut.

The vinyl tiles are showing a little movement in certain places because there is no grout. Overall, we have been satisfied with the look and durability. We will be replacing the floors with stone or porcelain tile this spring during the remodeling.

We feel we got a lot of bang for our buck (less than $200 for two bathrooms). Our guests were quite impressed when they learned the floors were vinyl peel ' n stick.

So, go for it. Just follow the instructions to the letter, and I think you will be pleased with the results.

Posts: 5293 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...better reviews of the tiles than I initially thought. I think I will go look at them in person. I'd better do it quickly before the husband launches the bass boat!! LOL

Thank you all!