Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Pottery Barn Knock Off
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pottery Barn Knock Off Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I'm in Minnesota and my DD's and SILs with grandgirl, Lucy. DD asked about a growth chart that she had seen on pinterest -- do you think? she asked . . . And we did!

Pottery Barn Kids sold them but if you google or go on pinterest, EVERYONE, it seems makes their own! And it's simple -- a board from the lumberyard which all you do is sand and stain (for you buy the proper width and height board so you don't even have to own a saw -- LOL!), then mark the inches, then add the numbers and seal. You put the chart six inches off the floor so that the one is at one foot height.

I think she said the PB was $90 or $100 -- we made it for $15 (we had the stain, magic marker so all we bought was the board, varnish and stencils)

It's a neat project, a great grow chart that you can take with you if you move (unlike a door jamb) and it's sturdy (unlike the paper ones). PB had them in colors as well so you could paint it to match a kid's room but she and I liked the stained one best --

Oh, and we signed and dated the back so in 100 years . . .

Martha

Posts: 6237 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
you did great Martha.. like it better than the PB and you cant beat YOUR priceSmile
well done, indeed.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10036 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of daciab
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I've been wanting to do this too. Thanks for sharing.

~DaciaB

UPDATED 06/20/11
http://user.midlands.net/dacia/

"Worms Eat My Garbage"

http://pinterest.com/daciabb/

Posts: 4897 | Location: zone 4 | Registered: Sep 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is a excellent idea Martha and a great execution. How high is it? Looks like 6 feet but the white edge (doorway? side of house?) confuses the height of the measure.

We just marked up the door way between kitchen and d.r. and now will have to do (after the horse was stolen) the same thing as kids are full grown now! Yours looks very professional. Nice straight lines, and very good lettering.

Posts: 12952 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It is a six feet board but the first number is only after six inches for the bott of the ruler is six inches above the floor so then the 1 is a foot fr the floor

Thanks for the compliments for I never saw it unreal life. Just on the Internet.
Martha

Posts: 6237 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Came out nice!

My youngest son was 8 yrs younger than the first two, so he was home alone with me more... we made a similar measuring stick and I kept measurements of him and his two best friends.

One best friend went on to go over the 6'6" mark my son stopped at 6' and his other best friend stopped at 5' 8" and they wrote next to the bottom measurement (where he will stay forever!) they laughed at that and he did stay that height. of course that 6' 6" plus fellow had very tall dad and uncles so we all knew he had that potential...
Those 3 boys (eh, young men) are still very close. Our neighborhood always saw the 3 together... they called them the 3 Amigos. That is written on the growth chart!

Having the ruler made to be able to take it with you can preserve nice memories!

Posts: 9809 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I love that. I had just seen one of those on a tv show in the last week or so and thought that would be so easy to make.

Posts: 9700 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Wish I had seen that about 42 years ago! I scrubbed off many pencil marks before we moved from many houses and this would have been a permanent 'souvenir'.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I know! I wish I would have had one for Daughter Sarah -- we could have passed it on to grandgirl Lucy!

And they are so easy to make.

And I like that they look like a ruler -- TIMELESS! Rather than being 70s or 80s!

Martha

posted Hide Post
It's wonderful! Mind if I borrow the idea for our DGD?

Posts: 545 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Susan -- be my guest -- we "borrowed" it after all from Pottery Barn. Google Pottery Barn growth chart rule and LOTS of sites come up telling you how to make one and it's also on pinterest (which is where DD found it). I give all the credit to her -- she found it and wanted it.

We used a 1 x 8 inch x 6 foot board. Each line represents an inch -- we only did six inches before the first number and it will be hung six inches above the floor so that the "1" will be at 1 foot level. We also used sharpies rather than real paint. So it was a snap! The internet sites recommended the sharpies.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Martha

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. I saw one for sale exactly like this the other day for $70. Thanks for the idea of creating one of our own for DGD.

Posts: 9012 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post