Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Never going to Curb Shop Again!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never going to Curb Shop Again!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Oh My - Saw this article today.

Anyone else going to make a resolution to NEVER "curb shop" again?????

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ke-article-1.1562490

Posts: 3220 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That really is creepy!!! BUT I would never pick up a used upholstered piece....that is a big yuck factor for me. It will not stop me from getting things that can be cleaned well.

Posts: 3127 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! I agree with Grapefruit though.

ETA: And besides, you might have to change your screen name Wink

Posts: 4074 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, absolutely not with regard to upholstery, but even still....

new screen name would be "EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!"

posted Hide Post
With the recent increase in the incidence of bed bugs, I had already decided to avoid picking up or buying any used upholstered furniture. Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 4046 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that phrase "curb shop". How clever!!!

Posts: 1136 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I've been a big curb shopper over the years.

Everyone here knows that my "fancy" couch was a curb find from years ago - I'm so glad that I tore the upholstery off it the minute I picked it up. That was before the bedbugs gained such a foothold and it went right into storage for two years before we had it redone. Never again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

posted Hide Post
When my husband and I were first married, we were both in school, so we were looking for second hand furniture. My father in law got us a couch for the living room from someone he new that were moving. Well we live in South Florida, one evening I turned on the lights in the living room and hundreds of roaches ran out of the couch. I was by my self, and screaming the walls down. It was terrible.

Posts: 270 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Well, never curb shop for upholstered pieces at least.

I think you would still be safe if the items aren't hiding places for scorpions, spiders, or snakes, LOL.

Good thing it was not aggressive. That would have been a nightmare!

Hope you don't start the New Year with PTSD as a result, Smile

Candy

Posts: 1294 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
oh just the thought of the snake makes me shiver!!

Posts: 9540 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But did you all notice the size of her dog? Just a wee little pom or papillion. If that snake hadn't been ill... oh man that is too scary. Neither of my pups would have stood a chance against a four ft long constrictor.

Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
They are fortunate.
I read a news article recently of a man who had a pet shop and he lived in the upper section.
A boa escaped and killed his son and a friend.
http://www.webpronews.com/boa-...two-children-2013-08
I believe the real threat in curb shopping and thrift stores is bed bugs.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one noticed the snake slithering under the upholstery ---must have thought it was a massage chair! Yikes!

Posts: 1432 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I too was about to warn against the bedbug infestation plaguing our country. BTW, good to see you posting again OHL. I wondered how you were doing. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post