Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  UPDATED W/ROOM PICS...What do you think of this daybed? PIC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATED W/ROOM PICS...What do you think of this daybed? PIC Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
I found this on CL in my area. $80.

I dont know if the mattress sets down some in the from or if they are using a very thin matters with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9442 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
If you can use it, if it fits and is in good shape, that's a good price for a basic daybed. And you can paint it any color you want.

As for the mattress, it looks kinda thin, but then you wouldn't want that USED mattress, would you? Smile

It does need a thicker, more comfy looking new twin mattress, that's for sure.

Posts: 5173 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nevermind on the above metal daybed, it's already been sold.

But I also saw this one, I'm thinking I like something like this as it resembles more of a "couch" look...

$200. on CL

Posts: 9442 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Ilike it. Seems like it would that cozy feel like the one lilsophie poted.

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG!!!! Sellers dont like it when buyers reply to an ad with "is it still available" which I totally get. But take your gosh darn ad down when you items sells!!

That 2nd one is sold too!!!

I replied asking if the drawers work right and if it came from a non smoking home and they replied it was sold. oh well, guess that's not the one for us!!

posted Hide Post
Well I guess the good news is that Ikea has slashed the price of this bed. Now $299. if I wanted to buy it new....but then I'd have to put it together :-(

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I want you to get her this padded daybed. It looks so comfy. This is the one. Oh, and don't worry about price, because it is your daughter you know. LOL

WTH now the link is blocked....uuggg

http://www.pbteen.com/products...ncode=32-235187152-2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4595 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Darn the picture is too small. Dang still having problems posting pics with this new computer. I want my old computer back.

Posts: 4595 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
lilsophie......Big Grin

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Annie. Can you come to my house and help figure out this new computer I'm so frustrated. LOL
Don't you just love these upholstered daybeds. I think they are so cute and would be so comfy to lay on.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Lets see if this one works. lol

This is a cool one Always. Look at the storage.
http://www.hayneedle.com/bedro...ds_175407_4294848197

my pictures

posted Hide Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE that Pottery Barn one!!!

posted Hide Post
Wal mart has this one that looks like a couch-similar to that red one too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cele...aybed-Beige/21556446

posted Hide Post
I saw this at living spaces..I wouldn't ever think I'd like something like this but it was actually pretty cool and better looking in real life.

http://www.livingspaces.com/Pr...?productId=31047-109

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
omg love the one from wal mart,,,i use the sectional sofa for sleeping so often and it's worn out...(it's also 13 years old) wonder if it would look tacky to buy 2 of those, lol lol...probably would have to add a bolster or large pillows so you sat in comfort...

shoot once on trading spaces they built a platform and added twin mattress...it was a lr, too...of course they used a non bedroom fabric...

Posts: 8489 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Nice choices! what kid wouldn't want a cool daybed in their bedroom that looked like a swag sitting room. Yay, mom!

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Any of those would work with your vision of having a hang out spot for your DD.
I love the green one, such a fun color, as well as the pottery barn one.
I know with you luck with craigs list, you will find something that will work in the space.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Another option is to just use the Hollywood frame and push it against the wall with pillows. Those frames are usually only $50 and come with the mattress set.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wendek-I was thinking the same thing. Here is one of many inspiration pics I saved. Same idea.

posted Hide Post
This looks nice too. Very Simple.

I think I'm gonna go to Ikea to get ideas. They always have neat spaces set up.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
That's true, Ikea always has fun rooms to get ideas and marvel at how small they say the space is.

I like your inspiration pics. Great ideas. Your DD should be getting excited about all this by now. Smile

posted Hide Post
Well of course I found something I like and it's not available anywhere...

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I like that one too.

You keep giving me ideas, as i'll be updating my 9yo's room when my brother and his kids move out. Fun.

posted Hide Post
I like this one too. Might not look so bulky since it has cut outs. But you would definaely need pillows to sit comfortably against the metal.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
I like this one too. Might not look so bulky since it has cut outs. But you would definaely need pillows to sit comfortably against the metal.

That's why I think that I only like the padded ones. I know they are more expensive. But the the comfort would be worth it IMO. Especially for her age, sitting on it with her friends alot.

posted Hide Post
Always, the IKEA one is INCREDIBLY heavy. If you find one that is pre-assembled, you will absolutely need a lot of help moving it. And in terms of putting it together...it takes quite a while. I left the house while dh did it IYKWIM. And then came home as he was taking one of the boxes, folding it in half and stepping on it to crush it down, only to discover that these flimsy inserts that were actually the bottoms of each of the drawers were still in that box. So yeah, he crushed them. It worked out to our benefit though b/c he took what remained to a friend who owns a plastics business, and he measured them and made new ones for it using heavy duty recycled plastic. So much stronger than those pressboard inserts.

Anyway, I love the IKEA bed for my dd. For the price, you simply can't beat the design with the pull out bed AND the extra storage. I'm not normally a big IKEA fan in terms of quality but I really do like the design of this bed. And my dd, who had a double bed prior to getting this one, is very very happy with it, which is most important!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Annapolis, Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
You might be able to do baskets with the Ikea model like this?

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
way back when(1960's)...they had what they called duo-beds at a store (long gone i'm sure) in los angeles... but it was twin beds at an l shape with a large table over half of one...they had fitted "spreads" in a textured fabric...and you added bolsters, ect for easier sitting...finding twin beds isn't difficult, and maybe a table? the problem is the height...a mattress and box spring is too high..but one of the 13-15"high mattresss on a "normal frame (a sheet of ply, instead of a box spring)might be a budget alternative?

Posts: 8489 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
wow wish i was on the big puter, cause i found a fitted bedspread at figi's gallery...(tried ot c/p, but couldn't) all in neutral colors,and matching pillows...

posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about SJF, but we called them corner groups...it was like upholtered twin sized beds with a table in the corner.

Here is the link and picture of the fitted bedspreads from Figi.

http://www.figis.com/product/h...d.do?sortby=ourPicks

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I like the "idea" of daybeds, but changing the sheets......ugh!

My granddaughter has a daybed, and I have to practically crawl around trying to get the sheets on nicely.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I go with a daybed, in regards to making a daybed, in my mind I visualize having the mattress covered in some type of cover almost like a "cushion" and then DD can sit on it as she pleases and use a blanket or oversized throw when she sleeps. So I wouldn't make it up like a regular bed.

My other thought is just using the twin mattress/boxspring with a "cover" over the mattress and boxspring like this or the picture above with the fuschia cover.

posted Hide Post
Also meant to add that my plan is to get down to Ikea first and see the one I think I might be interested in real life and then hopefully go from there.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
This is super cute, love the color too.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Look at this corner one.

You can make those padded pieces that are against both walls.

my pictures

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
I found this on CL in my area. $80.

I liked the style of this one best. Light & airy, even the color looks good. The next two
are too bulky. Keep looking & one day you will find the right one. Be a bit wary of bedbugs in used ones.

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

posted Hide Post
Well I have a craiglist prospect of the Ikea bed for $100. I have an email into seller asking if it comes from a non smoking home etc.

Looks like it's in good condition. I've been sorta waivering on what to do whether I want to switch to a daybed for DD or not, but if I can get this one for $100. I'm in.

We'll see what the fate of craigslist has in store for me ;-)

This is the one avail. $100.

Wish me luck!!

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like it!!

posted Hide Post
Well the $100. Ikea daybed is out. I think it sold, the ad is down :-( oh well guess it wasn't meant to be!!

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
i like that corner one! That would make there be more room and your daughter c
an use it for a long time. When my daughter got her first big bed she didn't want to go back to a twin bed.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind keeping her full bed if I can get the rest of the room to function for her. So I keep going back and forth.

I do know either way I want to a different dresser for her, I like the large 3 drawer Ikea Hemnes dresser. There is 34 inch wide one and a 43 inch one. I like the larger one.

Can't tell from pic if this is the 34 in or the 43 in one but this is the Hemnes line.

posted Hide Post
I think using the full bed makes more sense, esp if you get a new dresser. You already have the linens. If you go to all the trouble of improving her side, have you had a frank talk with her about using the space and maybe start sleeping on her own now that she's 12?

Posts: 3060 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just continue off this one...

I got DD's dresser sold this weekend since I know for sure I want to get a different one.

I ended up putting her bed on the shorter wall where her dresser was and it really seemed to open up the floor space.

Here is where I placed her bed.

posted Hide Post
going around the room...

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
last one...

posted Hide Post
Now I need to figure out how to arrange it.

I think I may ask a grandma of DD's friend who does interior decorating to give me some idea of how to arrange the space.

posted Hide Post
If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to throw it out there.

DD's wants blue bedding or something with more color which I think is a great idea...I keep trying to keep things neutral, but I'm just gonna go for it. The bedding shown in the pic was just a cheap set up from Kohls we grabbed one day.

Im not going to worry about trying to tie her colors in with my side of the room.

posted Hide Post
Much better use of space with the open area. Blue would be nice and I'd try to involve her in the choice so she feels its truly her area. Some floating shelves would help in getting trophies/ medals and other special seldom used items up higher and off bookshelves.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post