Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  It's been a long time coming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's been a long time coming Sign In/Join 
posted
I haven't been on here much lately, for various reasons, but one of which was that I have been in sort of limbo, house and deco wise. Some of you may remember me reporting a year or so ago that my DH and I were searching for some retirement property with some acreage and an old house to restore. After months of searching for that combo, we came to the conclusion that the land and house were going to have to be obtained separately. I think I announced on here last fall that we had found some land - 14 acres on a hillside with a nice view. Ever since last August I have been in love with a 98-year-old Craftsman house that I found on craigslist for $5,000 (being sold to be moved). It has taken 10 months of pondering, negotiating, getting bids, crying, and saving - but finally today we bought the house and signed a contract for dismantling/deconstruction (not moving), so that we can store the house on our property until we have time and money to have it rebuilt and restored to its former glory. This is going to take several years, so I won't have any "after" photos to post anytime soon - but here's a teaser of the exterior. When I have more time I may come back with some interior photos. It's a hot mess right now, but it has wonderful bones.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on furthering your dream!!!

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I adore the Craftsman style too.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - that's terrific! Will look forward to any photos and progress reports you have time to share.

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, index, annie, and aguabella! I will post photos of the deconstruction, but that will be all for awhile. It will all be OK, but patience is not one of my inborn traits; I am having to train myself.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
That's awesome Nita Smile

Posts: 4585 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I am sure it will be a labor of love.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6175 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I can see from the glimpse of the house you gave us that you really wanted something other than a builder box.

I am so happy for you that you were able to GET the house! That is wonderful news! I remember your story about getting the land and how happy you were about that.

Thank you for sharing with us! I love it that you will take us with you on your 'dream' journey to a home you already LOVE!

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a project you've undertaken. I look forward to progress reports.

Posts: 1730 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hellen K
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Share you interior photos if you finish the work. I will look forward to your photos.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jun 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Just thought how you could have ALSO posted this in Monday Morning Finds! A GREAT DEAL! A house for $5,000, now that doesn't come along every day on CL! Smile We find trailers for that price listed at times that need a lot of work.

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
What a fun project . . . and you're saving a great house!

Martha

Posts: 5412 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes! It will be a long journey, but it is meant to be our retirement project. Mary Ruth - cool idea about
MMFs Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Awesome! Kudos to you and your DH for saving a piece of American art history!!!

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn this is the best most exciting stories I have ever heard! I would love to be able to see the workmen dismantling the house. How they mark and label things etc.

Are you going to keep a journal and/or video record? I love watching houses moved (remember t.v. show) and this is even better.

Looks like a wonderful house from the outside view!

BTW my Austin born friend lived on Texas avenue, SE part near the University!

Posts: 12187 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OHHH! I am jealous already. Can't wait for some more pictures of before and after.

Wanda

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
What a labor of love. Looking forward to taking the journey with you via pictures. Have fun!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! I am excited to see that some of you are interested in the process. I already have a blog about the journey so far, of searching first for a house on land, then just land. I do plan to start a new "chapter" for this process. We plan to be on site as much as we can, given our work schedules and the fact that the house is an hour away. Also the contractor has also promised to document everything for us.

I took our two grown daughters to see the house today...I had told them all along I wasn't going to show it to them until it was a done deal. While they both definitely love "old" stuff and houses, I think they have not yet developed my talent for looking right past the current state and seeing the "bones" and the potential...but they did begin to see the potential as we walked around. The most interesting part was that on the drive home they were both busy googling the original owners (I knew the name from the tax rolls and contract), and found tons of interesting stuff! The family raised 10 kids in that house!

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, can we please see the link to your blog? Would love to follow along.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as long as you remember that 1) in order to get the whole story you have to start at the beginning and work forward, and 2) in the beginning I was a bit naive about what the whole thing was going to cost Wink. It has definitely been a learning experience!
http://mydreamhousedoesntexist.blogspot.com/

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, I went to your blog and saw some photos of the wood trim!!! YOU stole that house! I mean the trim alone is worth what you paid for it.

I am so HAPPY for you!

And I signed up on your blog so that I don't miss anything! Smile

posted Hide Post
Thank, Mary Ruth Smile One of the contractors who bid on the dismantle said the materials were worth probably $45K or so, if bought individually for retail price at a salvage business, so we feel that the cost of the house and dismantle ($40K combined) is a pretty good deal.

I hope I can keep the blog up, now that I've posted it here! I'll try!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
There is no way you could get or build a house these days with that kind of work inside for that! I can see the attraction! Even with reassembling and setting up on your land, probably will cost you the same as building or less, BUT WITH all those custom features!

I would say you get a HUGE GOLD STAR for your efforts and FIND!

I had an idea like that when Tammy Loves Roses said she was going to sell her house... it is an amazing house (in TN though) and all I could think of was... IF ONLY I could move it, or move the pieces and reassemble! So I am going to live vicariously through you to see that dream come true! Smile Again, I am grateful you are SHARING with us!!!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn (first you are one pretty woman! You and your girls must look like sisters!)

well I love that house! Two claw foot tubs! paneled doors etc. We have been visiting one of those salvage company stores lately and yessirree things like that really cost a lot if you go to replace them!

Posts: 12187 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I think we think alike Wink

Emily - "blush" - why thank you! I believe I used a sunglasses photo on the blog Wink

Yessirree - it's got some great bones!

ETA: I just changed my profile pic on my blog, but still in sunglasses Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I would love an old craftsman house. Congrats and enjoy it!

Posts: 4294 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be following your journey- it will be perfect at your new location. So lucky you have your own windmill- they are so unique and seeming to be scarce.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, kw2 and Mama Spoon! Yes, Mama, a windmill was a fantastic bonus!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, this will be a long, tedious process for sure but the final results will be well worth it. How long will it take to dismantle the house?

Thanks for inviting us along for your journey. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
What a fun project! I didn't know you could take a house apart, interesting concept. Gotta go look at your blog now and see what you've been up to Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,

What an interesting project that will be for you! It sounds like quite the endeavor to put it all back together; like finding the puzzle pieces that work.

Best wishes!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9334 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow, this really sounds exciting and a lot of work. Something I would have considered in my younger years. That home on 14 acres sounds like a dream, especially with that wrap-around porch.

I have to go check out your blog!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgia - the dismantling is supposed to take a month or less. But we have no plans to start the rebuild anytime soon, unfortunately. I am looking at this as a "5-year project" at least. I just couldn't let that house go, even though it was a little soon for our plans.

Wanda - well, if you can build one I guess you can take one apart Wink Actually, some googling has shown me that it's being done, but usually to sell the materials for salvage, not to do what we're doing, although that has been done as well.

B.R. - that's what I thought too at first, that it would be like putting a puzzle back together. But we're actually going to go about it a slightly different way...rather than use the exact same materials in the exact same places they are now, we will have a stack of "wall wood," a stack of "floor wood," etc. and it will really just be like using building materials.

Zone9 - Well, it would have certainly been better timed, energy-wise, for my younger years as well! However, sometimes youth and energy don't always synchronize with financial means, free time, and flexibility of location! I just hope I'm not completely too old for the hard work by the time we get to it!

Thanks, all, for your well wishes!