Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Decorating an open livingroom/kitchen with high ceilings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decorating an open livingroom/kitchen with high ceilings Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi there, my partner and I live in a somewhat modern style house with an open living room/kitchen space that has incredibly high ceilings. I personally have more of a bohemian/cottage/diy style than the house's structure offers. Its a cool space, but I'd like to bring more warmth and coziness but have a hard time knowing where to start with the current set up of the house. We have eventual plans of taking out the bar in the middle and inserting an island to serve as increased counter/cabinet space and a table.(see photo) Any ideas on color/remodel/etc? Visual ideas are really helpful!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi! Welcome to the message boards. Those high-ceilinged rooms do present some challenges when decorating. Luckily, you have a lower wall height behind your sofa which helps to bring the room down to human scale. Since you are at the very beginning of your process, I would suggest that you browse Houzz.com to see if any of the pictures there inspire you.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first glance, your room appears to need an area rug because nothing is really tying your room together. Once you find a rug you like, the colour scheme will be easier to establish. Rugs, like art, are a very personal choice. Shop around and see what it is you both like and bring one or two home. Even if they are the wrong size, you will be able to see how the colours work in the room.

It is important you buy a rug that is large enough to anchor the seating area. By that I mean at least the front legs of your furniture should sit on the rug.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
have you seen the sw or home depot paint ad where the basic room is one color and the stairwall is another? they wern't dark in tone but rich colors...what is behind you where you were standing and taking the picture?

i also like the other susan's idea of an area rug...oh and to slighty bring down the ceiling i'd paint it a color, too...lets say the room color but 2-3 shades lighter...

another trick is to use a molding at the "normal height" to define the rooms...but to see what it's like, you can do a mock-up using paper...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post