Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Picture sizing question??? SOLVED!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture sizing question??? SOLVED!!!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted
I use paint and resize my pictures.
I choose pixels and for a landscape picture, I choose 300 X 225 and save as a JPEG.
For a portrait picture, I have to do the same, but save it as 217 X 280 pixels.

If I use %'s I have to use 30% or less.

This makes my photos come out very small and hard to see when I post.

If I don't make them this small, I get a message that my pictures are too large and it won't post.

Most of the pictures posted here are much larger than mine.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make my pictures large enough to see, but small enough KB for the forum to post??

Also, I am tech challenged, so if you have answers, I need step by step instructions, LOL

Thanks for any help,
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1318 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Paint and choose 25% and it always works like a charm. I got that tip from someone else on here several years ago. I don't know why that's not working for you...maybe your pictures are smaller to begin with. Maybe you should experiment with the pixel size or % that gets you closest to the 150KB limit.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Check your manual for your camera. There might be a setting that you can adjust for internet posting size also.

I use a Canon camera. Pics are down loaded into the photoshop elements. Then I copy pics into a folder for "my pictures". Open in paint and resize to 15% and do a "save as".

That keeps the original in the photo album and another copy in the resized size.
It probably has something to do with pixels vs % when resizing. Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9489 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kodak 8.1 mega pixels camera.
I pull the memory card out of the camera, insert it into the computer, and open the pictures.

I select a picture, open with paint, and resize from there.

If I resize using %'s, it has to be 30% or less.

If I resize using pixels, the wide view with 300 X 225 will usually post. If I choose the long view, I have to choose 217 X 280 pixels, or it won't post.

These are very small in comparison to other posters pictures. I don't understand why.

I was hoping someone here might have an answer for me.

I just don't know enough about computers to understand why mine come out so much smaller than others.

Thanks,
Candy

Posts: 1318 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If mine look too big in Paint, I do 50% and have never had a problem--after I got it thru my head!!!!!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Post your photo for us here please so we can see the size of your pic, maybe that will help...
You say 'smaller', I would like to see how much smaller...

I do what others do here, downsize the photo and 150kb does NOT work for me, I have to have the photo around 90kb for me to have a normal size photo to fit in the text box. So, you see everyone has to find their own way to see what fits their method.

Like was mentioned already, you need to play with it a few times. Once you find the formula that works for you, record it and make a NEW FOLDER on your computer, shortcut it to your desk top, then save photos in there that you want to post later, helps to make things quicker when you want to post.

Hope that helps a bit, so now try posting a few photos in an experiment.

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Candy, I have a mac so don't know about Paint. But what I do in my photo site to post here is make the largest dimension of my photo (either picture or landscape) 400. that always works for me. Here is an example.

Posts: 12935 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I use the free photo re-sizer website called http://www.resizr.com/

It's friendly and easy to use.

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
When I post I right click on pic in my folder and open with Microsoft Office Picture Manager...then I go to top function of Edit and then think I click resize...and it lets me select the size...I always use small Web size but there is also a large web size choice....so I don't play with numbers but just click those and they appear good to me! Big Grin Oh yes and don't forget to save...if it's just one or two pics and you don't want whole folder just "save as" something and have seperate....recently I resized a whole folder for my redo pics....so now I have one normal pixals and one for sharing on web.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7374 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Great advice!

GreenAlice, the reminder to save if do not need original size and 'save as' to save the smaller copy AND the original is always good to keep in mind!

I type sm after a pic that I have saved to fit this board if I do not want to move it to a new folder, and it saves the smaller copy next to the original, makes it so much easier to find fast!

Hope you get a solution!

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is one of mine.
Compared to the one posted by LOS above, it is hard to see details in mine.

But, if I save it as anything larger, I get the message that it is too large to post.

Candy

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
here is what I mean by cropping your photo...
and I clicked on Auto correct on my Microsoft Office Picture Manager program.

YOu can take the whole shot like this (take a lamp and put it near the vignette (not showing in the photo) to lighten up all the areas so the details show up.
THEN take 2 or 3 close ups.. also well lit. Flash is good but it will take away shadows and make the photo look more flat... that is why I suggested a lamp (take shade off) or aim a desk lamp type at the vignette, lets shadows show more...

IF you have very large file of this, email it to me if you want me to try and figure out what fits then I can email you back the smaller copy if this is getting confusing.

I think I have your email, not sure...will check..

PHOTO cropped and 20KB 280 X 247 Pixels

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

CC photo crop lite

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
PHOTO at 40KB size

Notice it is not clear because it is enlarged from a smaller print causing GRAINY appearance.

the size in pixels for this photo is 560 X 494

CCphoto 40

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Candy, I also have a problem posting pics here unless they are very small, sometimes too small to see details. This is only a problem for me since I got my PC. On my Mac I know how to reduce the KB but can't be bothered using 2 computers in order to post pics. I somehow think the number of KB a pic has is partly due to the quality of one's camera. The better the camera, the more KB so even when resized quite small the pics can be too large (ie too many KB for this forum). I could be all wrong on this tho! Big Grin I know how to reduce this (quality of pic) on the Mac but not on the PC. Anyone know how to do this on a PC?

So far I don't think anyone has answered your question and I'm no help either. I've looked on the internet for a solution and so far haven't found one but plan to ask my computer guru DS soon.

Emily, the pic you posted is not 400 pixels, it's 864. Here it is resized to 400. I actually prefer 600 pixels on the largest side as the detail is better with that size. This is easy to do with Paint but most of my pics are still over 150 and won't upload here.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Emily, here is the same pic at 600 pixels.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Joyluck,
quote:
So far I don't think anyone has answered your question and I'm no help either. I've looked on the internet for a solution and so far haven't found one but plan to ask my computer guru DS soon.

The point is ... she needs to experiment with HER computer, and her photo and find the size that FITs a size posted on the thread here... meaning she has to experiment LIKE We all do!

I mentioned that everyone's computer and size of photos they save are all different and it is dependent on the camera setting of the original photo, and the size it is adjusted to. There is no program that just does it... and since this board had changed the settings (remember there are some really GOOD posters who left because they could NOT post any photos!)

It does take a bit of patience, but I think we tried to help to get a point across... Everyone learns in a different way, some by seeing photos, some by reading words and others by being shown...

_

posted Hide Post
JOy luck you are absolutely right! I uploaded to general decorating from DH's computer and that pic was on his desktop. I thought it would be 400 since that is what I thought I needed to post here! I do not have my files on his computer so needed to use his.

Sorry for any confusion, but I did think I had answered Candy's question when I told her I sized all pics for here at 400 for the largest dimension.

posted Hide Post
I think Candy's photo that she downsized did not really have enough information. It is only 20 k

Maybe her camera setting needs to be higher? I downloaded her photo but could not make it any larger, that is why yours pixilated Mary Ruth.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
the photos I posted ARE pixelated... because I enlarged them from a 20kb size. Exactly, wanted to show you cannot enlarge a small file.
You MUST start with a larger file.
And to save the original and the smaller size to post...

About your photo los, I was going by the size you posted and said... LOL that is why it came out so large! oh well...

I am giving up on this line of thinking... I am sure Christmas Candy is confused by now! LOL

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I wasn't criticizing anyone who tried to help but there are no answers that help on this thread. It's not necessarily about experimenting with one's computer as I know how to resize pics and still cannot get them small enough to post with the 150 MB limit. I need to learn how to lower the resolution of pics I want to post so they will be under 150 MB and still large enough to see details. IMO 400 pixel pics are not large enough to see detail.

Lucky

posted Hide Post
ChristmasCandy, when you change the px size by using % how does it come out? How large in Kbps or mb is the px when you first download?

I am not an expert but I found out that for me dealing in pixels was harder than dealing in %. Maybe we can work it out that way.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy is working on it through PM's with me right now we trying all... some % then lowering pixels per sq inch... I thought it would be better to work in PM since the photo uploading, deleting, and changes would be too messy and confusing on here... at least till we find a solution or get it close! Then the 'how to' can be shared for anyone who needs to do same...

The ONLY thing is what program should she use on her computer.. the Paint program is what makes her photo appear small on the board.. she wants it larger but still within the 150 range...

I was able to use Adobe Photoshop Elements and reduce the resolution (or pixels per sq inch) and the photo is HUGE and looks good not grainy. But SHE needs to do this for herself because she has a LOT of photos to share.

My other thought was for her to use a photo site, Photobucket or PicMonkey or any other some might suggest. I do not use what makes my change my browser (use Firefox).

I have used Photobucket over the years of posting here, until I could not download from there at times... this board has caused problems with uploading photos and avatars! Geech!

QUESTION:
What is the latest in online or free download photo 'adjusting' or editing FREE programs out there that might help Christmas Candy?
Thanks for your consideration!

_

posted Hide Post
Trying something different.

A HUGE Thank you to all of you who tried to help me!!

Mary Ruth was so gracious as to help me through PM'S and I have found that I cannot post my pictures via my computer's paint program, but by using a different picture site, I could load them there and paste to my entry.

Now I obviously need to downsize them on that site!!! Big Grin:

WooHoo!

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience.
Mary Ruth, you solved it for me!!
Candy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!! You must be thrilled to show off your DETAILS!!!

Aychihuahua,
suggested
http://www.resizr.com/
Tried that, NOT easy to use and features few if not premium user...

I went there and checked it out, GREAT and EASY, try that now!!! If it works our and is easy for you to use... we may have a winner!!!

posted Hide Post
the tea cart picture via new method:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Candy

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Candy,

Glad you found a solution to the pic posting.

I use paint to resize. Then do a save as. Put the saved pic into "my pictures" on the computer. It is a given folder and you can add "new folders" as needed.

You don't pull up Paint to post the pic. Instead, when you hit the "browse" button to post pics, you will go into the "pictures" folders. Find the pic and select "open". That bring the pic back to the reply box. Hope that also helps you with posting.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9489 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy,
do reveal your NEW method!

You will notice I deleted a lot of the photos I had played with, was way too confusing and if someone wants to learn as YOU DID they might be able to do it for themselves, so I tried to make it less confusing to read what I had written....

Is the title on one of those books 'Son of a Witch'? OH MY!

I was stuck on my computer today, Yahoo mail stopped working, I had not backed up my new contacts list, so I was like as if cut off! LOL as soon as it was working again (4 hrs) later.. the first thing I did was sign on Gmail for an alternate account, then add some contacts there... I had to download a few small programs I had before. What had I done? Updated my Firefox and java updates... then it all went flooey even though I restarted..
Well you get the idea.. ALL back to normal now!

And I am so HAPPY you found a way to make your photos a better size. And YES the details show up!!! And you do so MANY great vignettes so you can SHOW THEM OFF even better now!!!
Congrats!!! Sorry I was mia today... was busy, and this is the type of day I had... photo says it all....

forgetfulness

posted Hide Post
BR, that is what I used to do and when I went to add attachment, it would only accept the very small pictures.

After Mary Ruth spent a lot of time and effort, I am now able to post the larger pictures by still opening with paint, but now I save it at a larger %. The very large witch picture was 65% and the tea cart was 50%, so I think maybe somewhere in between is the answer.

THEN, I go to TinyPic ( a free picture copying site) and load it in there, then I right click and copy the top address line and come here and paste it into my reply.

A couple of people suggested some other resizing sites, but I know how to use TinyPic, so went with what I know, LOL

So now I paste my picture into the reply instead of using the add attachment.

Again, I want to thank everyone for all of their help, especially Mary Ruth, who stayed up very late last night working this through with me!

Yes, the book titles are: "Son of a Witch" "Season of the Witch" and "The Witching Hour." All from thrift stores just for décor. I haven't actually read them, LOL.

TTFN,
Candy

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!
I know that 20 things can be suggested, BUT there is always one method of learning that reaches each person differently since everyone learns differently.

You FOUND your key that unlocked the reasoning on what to do! HOORAY for you and the work you invested in learning how it works for you!
What a trooper you are! I loved helping you because you were trying (besides you are such a sweetie).

And I will SAVE that info and program you used to suggest in case anyone ever needs this again. And because NO ONE is really manning this board (at least no evidence of it) we have to help each other...

Wouldn't that be something IF we discovered that after all these 10 yrs plus, IF HGTV actually cared about us? Smile

got an account and joined, uploaded one photo to try it here: at Default size (for this size no adjustment is required) [for those of you wondering, these files were small to begin with, did not pick a huge file to demonstrate just posting a few pictures here]
LOVE MAXINE...

And THANK YOU to Christmas Candy for HELPING ME to have an easier time putting photos on this board!!! Smile

as you can see, you can add more than one photo in the same message box. the second photo I chose Message board size

I can post 3 photos in the same post! They are around 25 to 35 kb so they are not too large for files. This one is set for 15" screen was the choice and I wanted to see how large this one is... posted here

So IF YOU USE THIS Program, the DEFAULT with no adjustments would work GREAT! NO fuss, no muss... just post! Smile

As Christmas Candy wrote in her post above, do not use the 'Attachment option' just type in your post box, and then COPY IMAGE CODE FOR MESSAGE BOARDS AND PASTE just paste the photo code right in under your text!

_