Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Resources for flooring help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resources for flooring help Sign In/Join 
Picture of lenie
posted
I am ready to replace my carpet with hardwood, Pergo or something in that direction. I don't know what I want!!! Is there any sites that helps me decide what I may need? And helps me to compare one to another? I am at a loss. Thanks!

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I don't know your budget, but I highly recommend hardwood flooring as it is refinish able and if sealed correctly, easy care. There are several hardwood spies available to suit your lifestyle and deco. We are fans of the selection and pricing at Hardwood liquidators having found great bargain at our local store in the past. Check to see if one is in your area via their website. BTW, hardwood flooring comes in per finished or unfinished in a range of plank width styles. If you are reluctant to install and/or finish the new floor yourself, seek referrals and compare pricing in your area. Insist on durable coats of poly in high traffic areas.

Proper prep and installation is important as is buying enough to allow for imperfect planks. Industry recommendations suggest allowing an extra 10 percent, but I would allow a bit more. It is important that the new hardwood acclimates to your home environment prior to instillation so follow industry guidelines regarding the appropriate time.

Though hardwood flooring can be pricier than other options, be patient and shop during sales. Hardwood flooring is durable, warm and rich. It is also a plus come resale. It is favored by those with allergies to dust mites, mold, or carpet chemicals too. You can always add area rugs with pads to high traffic or other areas but you must wait to lay rugs atop a new floor as per floor finisher recommendations. Using furniture pads or glides will further protect your floors. I prefer lighter floors to darker and a satin vs high gloss finish as scratches , water spots and dust are less revealed.

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Here is one comparison source I just found but there are others on the Web too.
http://www.wfca.org/Pages/flooring-comparison.aspx

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This link educates you on hardwood flooring.

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/ne...d-value-to-the-home/

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
There are a lot of choices and none is right or wrong. It depends what works for you. You might try ifloors.com. They used to have articles on the pro and cons.

Posts: 6741 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I have had laminate for 8 years and would buy it again in a minute.

Posts: 7974 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I am researching all of them!

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I have Pergo throughout my kitchen, breakfast room, laundry, powder room, hall and dish room, and we've been very happy with it.

No one answer is correct, it's just about you lifestyle and preferences. We were advised to go with the laminate because of the "wet" areas, and would make the same choice again.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post