Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Apartment Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all! I just signed a lease for a new apartment. It's really small, and I'm wondering if anybody has decorating advice! I have a medium brown leather couch and loveseat that will be going in there. I attached a picture...(disregard the furniture, etc. that is already in there...it belongs to the previous tenant)

I would really appreciate some ideas.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Here are some ideas for a small space. Note the small tables, floor lamps, wicker chair, minimal accessories. All create an open look.

I personally would prefer a couch or a loveseat with a chair or 2 but that is just me.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.co...er-pickmeupsa-155436

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
you can create an L layout similar to what is shown in the pics. Other tips for furnishing small spaces:

KEEP THE SPACES VOID OF VISUAL CLUTTER.
OPT FOR A ONE OR TWO WELL CHOSEN LG. ACCESSORIES INSTEAD OF A COLLECTION OF SMALL ITEMS.
USE A COLORFUL AREA RUG TO ESTABLISH THE ROOM SCHEME AS WELL AS VISUAL PUNCH.
UTILIZE VERTICAL SPACE.
INVEST IN FURNITURE THAT IS SLEEK, IN SCALE AND OFFERS FLEXIBILITY AND STORAGE.
BRING MORE COLOR INTO YOUR SPACE VIA WINDOW TREATMENTS, PILLOWS, ACCESSORIES, ART.
FEATURED A PAINTED FLOOR SCREEN OR ACCENT PIECE TO BRING MORE COLOR INTO YOUR NEUTRAL SPACE.
USE MIRRORS TO DOUBLE ROOM SIZE AND LIGHT
USE REFLECTIVE SURFACES LIKE METALLICS, CERAMICS, GLASS TO ADD SPARKLE/GLEAM.
USE TEXTURES TO Add MORE INTEREST.
NESTING, FOLDING OR STACKED COMPONENTS SAVE SPACE.
STORAGE OTTOMANS CAN SERVE AS FOOT STOOLS, EXTRA SEATING OR COFFEE TABLES (WITH A TRAY).
DON'T OVERLOOK THE IMPACT AND IMPORTANCE OF TASK AND AMBIENT LIGHTING.
KEEP TRAFFIC FLOW, THE FUNCTIONS OF THE SPACE AND ROOM BALANCE IN MIND.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I do like the way it is set up now as far as layout, but in general the place is kind of older and the way she has decorated is a little bit "old lady"...I guess I'm looking for a way to make it younger and more fresh working with what the place already has to offer.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I hear what you're saying, but the ley to a younger vibe will be in the colors and prints you use. A colorful contemporary rug may be your best investment as well as the catalyst that sets the tone for your entire space. It can make a neutral space with neutral furnishings come alive. It can also anchor your main grouping. In fact, the front legs of the seating should rest upon it. Other sleek pieces will continue the contemporary feel without sacrificing valuable space.

BTW, wall decals could bring some interest upward. You can custom position them and they are removable without damage to renter's walls.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, thank you that's great advice Smile

posted Hide Post
Agree, fabrics or a rug can give you the look and feeling you're going for -

Did you measure the space and compare it to your furnitures' dimensions? It's fairly unusual for existing pieces to perfectly fit in a new home. Sometimes one item gets relocated to another room, e.g. den or bedroom.

You might want to prepare a simple, scale drawing or mark the furniture pieces on the floor, using blue painters' tape, to make sure you have enough clearance.

In addition, you might want to replace one of the leather items with a chair (or two, depending on your space's dimensions) to lighten the look.

JMHO and good luck with your new home!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely noted. I will have to do measuring before the actual move, and will consider replacing the loveseat with a chair or two maybe but I do like to have a lot of seating. I was thinking maybe a red/orange color scheme? I feel like I overdo it with blue.
Sometimes I feel like I basically need my hand held when it comes to decorating.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Here are your colors, not necessarily on the couch!! I think it is beautiful, hope it helps.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Definitely helps, thank you! Might be looking for something a bit different but the general idea I do like Smile

posted Hide Post
If you do substitute in a couple of chairs, I'd suggest open arms in whatever style you prefer, with fabric bases (not leather) to add color and lighten the look. Or, add texture with some wicker (say Pier 1, if you're on a budget) with a fabric seat. It's o.k. to mix them - say 1 open arm + 1 wicker. There are no rules, IMHO.

If you're concerned about seating, you might consider a couple of colorful poufs, large multi-colored pillows in a wicker basket or a tree stump or two to introduce both nature and texture.

If you start with a red and orange rug, you can then use it as a guide to shop for fabrics in those tones to coordinate. I would think about some pillows and a throw draped on your leather piece(s) to lighten things up and go from there.

Tons of possibilities - good luck!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your advice! Having trouble finding a rug as a place to jump off from. I'm still worried about looking too granny Frown

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Why not go with a sisal rug. They go with many looks and then find a fabric you like as inpiration.

Sisal, brown and bright print....

posted Hide Post
There we go! I love that!

posted Hide Post
So here is an update of what it looks like with our stuff in it. Smile It's definitely no potter barn catalog... any more tips, looking at what we have now? Trust me I know it's rough.

posted Hide Post
Second photo..

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks like your apt is in an older bldg.

Also looks like the bedroom is larger than the l.r. is that correct? Also looks like the bdrm has a fireplace? If so, I would recommend not blocking it with furniture. This is a great decorating accent! (working or not)

don't worry about it being "granny" as you are evidently not one and believe me being one I can tell you that Granny decorating is as individual as newly wed decorating!

I would do away with "ditzy" decorations. Like the things on the wall over the loveseat. You have the furniture you have so you must work around that, but you have many assets in this lovely space. Your bed alcove could be a knockout of style and a real focal point in this room.

It would also help if you can take some pics from other vantage points for more help from the forum.

Isn't it fun and exciting to have a new place?

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Came back to say that the small things to the right of the bed, seem confusing. You have a very large bedroom. One larger piece to replace those small things would be more attractive.

posted Hide Post
Okay thanks! Yeah the thing to the right of the bed is a cheap cheappp nightstand, there's one on the other side too. They don't look good but we needed them - same as the desk against the fireplace. It would be great to use that purely as decorating but we need to utilize the space.

Honestly I've come to the terms with the face that I just can't decorate. I get too cautious with money, and I find it hard to work with an old building as well.

posted Hide Post
It's stressing me out a lot, can somebody just come to my apartment and tell me what to do. Frown lol!

posted Hide Post
Pengwinn, when we were pretty recent newly parents we rented an apt that had the teeniest kitchen you ever would see! Then we had two biggish rooms, a living room and a bedroom.

Off the bedroom was an unheated sort of hall space which our baby slept in. Both the main rooms had wonderful marble mantelpieces. Lovely moldings, high ceilings and the l.r. had two long windows. We painted the walls dark green and the woodwork white. Very little furniture, an old pine table with some ladder back chairs. Both gifts from friends.

Plus we moved in 23rd Dec and had not done any Xmas shopping yet! Any apt is fun. You will pick up lots of ideas. Just keep your eyes open everywhere you go. . . restaurants, stores, shops, friends homes. There are many talented stylists out there just copy them. Oh and do read decorating magazines even if you have to stand in a bookstore to do it!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I love the turquoise pillows on your sofa. They breath life into a otherwise lackluster
space. Carry more of this vibrant color throughout spilling into your bedroom. Blues and browns are very compatible. I would shop for a new contemporary rug featuring the color of your pillows, beige or brown and perhaps another color. The rug should be large enough to anchor the main seating grouping. At the very least, the front legs of all pieces should rest upon it. The abstract or geometric print will contribute greatly to a space craving pattern and color.