Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  refridgerator reviews
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

refridgerator reviews Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
Hi,

So we will be in the market for a new fridge because we left ours at our last home for the buyers. The one we had was stainless/GE profile side by side. It was a scratch and dint off the floor from H'dpt, got it for 1/2 off in 2007. Looking at the french door with bottom freezer. Not wanting to pay over 2200 bucks....and we shall be looking at the scratch and dint models as well. Love to have some of your reviews/pros/cons if you've recently purchased. I'm a huge researcher and I do a lot of comparison shopping.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1177 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the one we have http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JFC2290VEM and it has been wonderful. I do not care for water and ice on the outside of the door as I prefer a sleeker look and there is less chance of my hardwood floor getting wet.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the GE Profile French door with bottom freezer and I'm very pleased with it. I especially like how easy it is to remove shelves either for washing them or to make room for tall pots. My only complaint is that it never "learned" to shut itself the way I was told it would. I have to make sure to close it myself. Of course, there is a buzzer that lets me know when I've forgotten AGAIN!!!

Posts: 3459 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I have a Kenmore French door/bottom freezer and am also happy with it. We bought it a few years back (2010?) so I'm sure the model has changed. Plenty of space, easy remove shelves, deli drawer under the produce bins, and door bins are all adjustable. Freezer is a nice size too.

We do have water but not ice on the door and the water can be locked. This takes up no space in the door (bin space).

Posts: 3337 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
This is the fridge we bought in March, for our kitchen remodel: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-b...ison/KBFS20EVMS.html

I was able to score it for $1500. We love it; I purposely chose an internal ice maker and water dispenser to keep the outside sleek and easier to clean. Also, I wanted a counter depth bottom freezer French door model, and this one fit perfectly in the refrigerator recess. It's just the two of us, so the 19.7 cubic feet of storage is adequate.

It is an awesome appliance that works very efficiently, I might add.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
As always...you guys rock...will be checking out the links that each of you posted! Smile

Posts: 1177 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Hubby won't be happy with the internal ice maker/water dispenser..............he's too lazy to open the door after a long days work. And I get that! kinda! Told him also that I would prefer black vs stainless. he prefers the stainless...so there I go! Wink

posted Hide Post
I have a single door fridge over the freezer. It's years old so make/model doesn't matter because quality changes. My only concern would be where/how the fridge sits in your kitchen.
My sits in an alcove where one wall is much deeper than the other. A French door fridge would not work because the right door would only open about 1/2 the way, hardly making it convenient to use. Just make sure the measurements work and the doors have room to open.
Good luck with the SS vs Black, you're on your own there!

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 25 cubic foot Maytag french door with bottom freezer. However, a refrigerator repairman says most of his calls is for this style.

While I was shopping for this refrigerator 8 years ago, I fell in love with am $8,000 GE refrigerator. Was a refrigerator on one side and a freezer on the other. 60 inches wide.
Then a man at Lowe's told me that Whirlpool makes a side kicks model. 2 separate units that fit next to each other which replicated the $8,000 model. At that time it cost about $2200.

I already had an Amana 15 cubic foot upright freezer. I didn't have space in the kitchen without with extensive cabinet work so I passed on the Whirlpool sidekicks but I have never forgotten in. When I have to replace this refrigerator, I will have the cabinets torn out to make room for it even though I will have to put it in a location outside of the ideal triangle pattern of stove, sink and refrigerator.

Love having a refrigerator where I can just reach in without bending over. However, I don't particularly care for having to lean over to get stuff out of the freezer. Side by side just doesn't offer a wide enough space for large dishes.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I bought this GE a few months ago. It's 23cu ft. and under $1800. Love the extra room French doors give you. Like the way the door storage is set up too. Bins and shelves are easy to pull out and clean. I like the curved top too.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7478 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always try to talk my clients out of ice and water in the door. For one thing, it takes up storage space on the inside, but mostly because I think it looks tacky. Everyone who has followed my advice tells me it wasn't that hard to retrain their hubbies to open the door for water. With my own fridge, I keep a Brita water pitcher inside the door and it takes up less room than the mechanism for a water-on-the-outside model.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cavin, I had a side by side with water/ice in the door and I HATED it! When it was time for a new fridge water/ice inside (and a grey side) was my only MUST HAVES!

I got a Samsung for a reasonable amounting (thinking $1200) with ice in the bottom and water inside but like Calvin, I keep a pitcher in the fridge. DH doesn't seem to mind although he was campaigning for the things in the door. But who cleans, me and since was a cleaning issue I trumped!

Martha

Posts: 6062 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
We bought a Samsung 30 inch french Door fridge in March.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

our kitchen is small and this gives us plenty of space with a water dispenser inside. It has LED lights, SEPARATE temperature controls for fridge and freezer.

It has a small footprint but offers 21.5 cu ft of storage space. It can hold my largest soup pot AND a watermelon at the same time.. Like right now!! My turkey platter fits too. the shelves are very adjustable and the doors hold a ton.

It was $1999 but we got it for the sale price that was offered in january. (1500)

We are very happy with it.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cavin, I had a side by side with water/ice in the door and I HATED it! When it was time for a new fridge water/ice inside (and a grey side) was my only MUST HAVES!

All it takes is an errant ice cube or two to go flying somewhere you can't see and you have water damage on your nice hardwood floors when it melts. I know this first hand as it happened to one of our friends when their teenage son was in a hurry and being careless. I have also heard complaints about the constant upkeep to the front of the fridge, especially SS because of water drips. It seems much easier to reach inside for a pitcher of cold water than to have to clean the outside of the door. JMO.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
the Kitchenaid 19cu looks nice. I'm going to go to H'depot today and look at their selection. I'll look into the inside dispensers for sure. Thanks all for the input. I'll let ya know what we decide on. We won't get into the new house until after Sept 1...so I need to make a informative decision soon!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cavin -- I so understand! And we've adjusted and adjusted well. (Or I should say DH has -- I never used the water dispenser myself!)

Martha

Posts: 6062 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cavin:
quote:

All it takes is an errant ice cube or two to go flying somewhere you can't see and you have water damage on your nice hardwood floors when it melts. I know this first hand as it happened to one of our friends when their teenage son was in a hurry and being careless. I have also heard complaints about the constant upkeep to the front of the fridge, especially SS because of water drips. It seems much easier to reach inside for a pitcher of cold water than to have to clean the outside of the door. JMO.

AMEN! We also have the large Brita filter on hand in the fridge. Our municipal water tastes like pond scum.

Posts: 5311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
A few months ago, we purchased this 25 cu ft GE Profile french door style, freezer on the bottom fridge with ice/water in the door in stainless. It has worked really well for us.

http://products.geappliances.c...cPage&Sku=PFSS5RKZSS

The ice/water in the door took up very little interior space. I also have hardwood floors. Smile

While this exact model is no longer being manufactured, GE will very likely have another fridge that is almost identical.

Edited to add: If you're concerned about keeping the stainless finish clean looking, wipe it down with Stainless Steel Magic. It comes in a spray bottle at most large DIY stores. The formula helps repel fingerprinting. Also, it helps that the handle on most new fridges bow out from the fridge in such a way that fingers rarely end up touching the fridge doors directly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jewel,

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Something to think about when you buy a fridge is what sort of space do you have?

Do you want Counter Depth, which are more expensive but fit in the place better, especially since regular fridges stick out so far from typical kitchen counters.

I have the ice crusher in the door and it's broken for the 2nd time in 6 years. The internal motor quit. I haven't replaced it yet - out of warranty now - but it will be at least $200 to fix. it's probably normal though since it gets lots of use. The ice maker works fine of course.

I have the GE stainless Steel side by side because of the space constraints, and I'm happy with it, tall height, counter depth. fits perfectly.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no way I would ever buy a refrigerator without ice and water thru the door. I have never had a problem with ice or water on the floor. I don't particularly care whether it's side by side or French door or what the color is, but the ice and water dispenser are a MUST.

Posts: 1055 | Registered: Nov 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby:
Hubby won't be happy with the internal ice maker/water dispenser..............he's too tired to open the door after a long days work. And I get that! kinda! Told him also that I would prefer black vs stainless. he prefers the stainless...so there I go! Wink