Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds! for 8-26-13!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds! for 8-26-13! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Filling in for Skyler and Beau's Rose (who usually covers for Skyler, but could not do so this time due to scheduling).

Due to my admiration for what Skyler does with this Monday Morning Finds thread, I offered to fill in until she gets back from vacation. This MMF's thread does so much more for our community here than just show our 'finds', it also lets us gather for such a positive activity. We share our treasures and also share in the excitement of what other friends have found.

If you didn't find anything this week, that is OK, post something you found some time back and think it was such a great find, that you want to share how you used it!

Please share pictures or just tell us about any great treasures you've found. We always love to hear prices too.

I will be hosting just ONE more Monday (next Mon, Sept 6) and then Skyler will be back to host her BEST thread... MMF's! We MISS YOU Skyler!!!

Let's start sharing...

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
As for ME:
I found MORE SPACE! My daughter and son came to see me with their significant others this weekend, my daughter took her dining table I found her on CL and my Pier One wicker chairs with her when she went home, and they took most of the wooden bowls and other things I put in where they could be seen. I mentioned I was getting rid of all that was on the floor in the Living room, didn't take long before the browsing started... they LOVED the stuff, and it is GONE! Smile More space for me to weed out MORE.

Funny when I offer them the stuff over the phone or in emails, they are like... nah...
But I think the relaxed way I just put it out... really paid off this time! Smile

What is COOL is that NOW it is decided that ANY large events like Thanksgiving will happen at my daughter's house, so I do NOT need to store lots of dishes, and entertaining stuff! That means more purging and more space for me, less work!!! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Good work MR -- space is always a great find!

Not been anywhere so no finds for me!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a new purchase, these eight prints were in the attic. We decided to try them around the antique mirror, so we hung them this weekend.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, finding space is a great find! Plus isn't it nice to pass the Thanksgiving holiday on? (esp cleaning out the roasting pan!)

Charles those prints look very interesting (but then I love prints) who are the men?

My finds are totally from swap shop. DH doesn't like the wire basket but I do. The picture is a print and looks familiar to me and elicited the usual discussion we have about prints which always ends with us saying that we really don't know that much! (this after looking through loops and magnifying glasses etc)

I got a total of 30+ magazines lately (decorating) Arch Dig, Veranda, House Beautiful, etc.

There was a box of clam shells, very dirty. Took 8 or 10, soaked in bleach, scrubbed and then put in d.w. I think I will make baked stuffed clams in them. If still there think I will take rest as can't I do something decorative with them?

The teapot is an addition to white china collection (ALL from swap shop) The piece of marble is from the stone pile. this is so beautiful (very heavy) I use them for cutting boards but I wonder if these were from a floor or wall installation, or maybe counter top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Martha,
Your FINDS keep me going for weeks... so no need to worry if you do not have something to post... I have a good memory of your beautiful past posts!

Charles D,
LOVING those prints! They are amazing! I love the white on that dark wall, I'll bet you are kicking yourself (well gently anyway) for not showcasing them sooner! They are incredible over the mantel! They make the space even more grand if that was possible! WOW!

los,
I LOVE that wire basket! If your DH hates it and wants to ship it off, I will provide him with my address! LOL I like the print too, and I have a pile of magazines (my favs) in my 'up-building stuff to view) when I am not feeling well enough to do stuff and am resting. My brain does not want to rest, so I let the body relax and feed my mind! (I also have a stash of girl's feel good movies or 'chick flicks' just for ME!

Thanks so much for the GREAT finds posts! If your photos are large.. does NOT bother me! I can see more detail and can adjust my screen to show smaller to get full view! Smile

posted Hide Post
Charles D, I LOVE those prints. I have been seeing a lot of B&W prints with white/cream mats and gold frames in decorating lately, and I love the look. Especially on that charcoal wall. Definitely my fave look right now. And you already had them, right there in the attic! Can't beat that!

LOS, great swap shop finds; Mary Ruth, space is a great find, too.

Posts: 4017 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
MR, space is always nice and especially if you can pass some "heirlooms" on to the next generation.

CD, The prints look lovely around the mirror and the fact that they are finds from around the house is a bonus!

LOS, you always get such great items at the swap shop! We don't have anything like that around here.

I found a vintage wicker doll carriage at one of my usual thrift stores for $14.99 and I had a 50% off coupon, so $7.49!!
It has a torn lining in the hood and a couple of minor breaks in the wicker, but otherwise in great shape! It has a lever activated parking brake, the front can drop down to make the bed, of course the hood pivots, and there is a lever underneath that raises the entire pram so it can swivel and completely turn around the other way! All of the tires are in good shape and there is chipping of the paint on the metal parts, but it is really in good shape for its age!

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also found some painted terra cotta flower pots for $1.99 each. They are app. 9" tall and I will be adding them to my Halloween décor.

TTFN,
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found a vintage wicker doll carriage at one of my usual thrift stores for $14.99 and I had a 50% off coupon, so $7.49!!

You got a real steal on that wicker doll carriage, CC. I bet here it would have been a lot closer to $100!

I forgot my pitcher. Put the brown eyed Susan's in it and forgot about it. Pretty close match to the other green?!?

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Not just space, but DEFINITE decisions for other pieces I picked up thinking I could use, NOW with more clear view of how I will use my house, I can purge more... so it is such a good thing! We will be making the large pantry my daughter has in her house, with custom drawers and pull out trays to hold all the entertaining large dishes, serve-ware that she is getting from me, so I can relax more and not worry about large gatherings. That IS a blessing for ME! I never know when I will not be up to doing something, I cleaned up around here and baked ahead... seemed like I just kept going, then when they came to visit on Saturday, I had run out of steam! So, no more of that! HUGE blessing for me (got a gentle scolding for that)! they told me they do NOT expect that and not to over do anything for them). Smile In other words, I am not to try too hard and do too much (My MO according to them)... LOL

Christmas Candy,
What a beautiful Pram! At that price it was a steal!!! I always wanted one for my daughter to play with her dolls.. alas.. she did NOT play with dolls, neither do her 2 daughters! They are sports all the way! When I was younger I climbed trees and got on the best view vantage point on a roof. I also went on the river in a small boat, got into trouble once but we were rescued before we got to the falls (small 4' drop). Yap I was a Tomboy all the way. My daughter and Gd's just got back from doing obstacle courses and white water rafting! Yap, NO dolls in our house! LOL

The pots are cute! And Fall is coming with Halloween, so they are perfect for decorating! You got GREAT prices on all your stuff!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
I didn't see your post... posting near the same time!

I love the pitcher! The green is wonderful with your chairs and ball collection! VERY NICE find!!!

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
No finds for me, still de-cluttering. Love everyones finds. Wanted to tell Christmas Candy that I had a doll carriage exactly like that. It now resides in my youngest dd's home. My carriage belonged to my dad's sister as a young girl. Today my Auntie would be 96.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great finds everyone, nothing for me this week.
Candy, is that a Patty PlayPal in the back?
I have a Saucy Walker (her little sister) that I dress up in a kids costume for Halloween. I love Ideal dolls. Recently trash picked one, but don't remember her name. Guess it's time to research and post her for MMF. Need to find some clothes for her, she's in tacky jammies right now!
I would never expose her when she's not at her best LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Cara Rose,
De-cluttering! You and I are on the same PAGE! Aren't those carriages so beautiful? How wonderful you have one that was in the family! Glad your youngest dd wanted to care for it!

jaysmom49,
I thought of that name, Patty but couldn't remember the rest of it. Yes, do post your doll on a MMF! Cute, dress her up!

Thanks everyone for contributing! Remember, just because Monday changes to Tuesday doesn't mean we can't post till Sunday night!!!
WE LOVE photos and seeing what is found treasure out there! You know many of us live vicariously through your efforts to find treasures and photograph them for us to see!!! Smile

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Yes MR. Still decluttering. Time in our lives where we don't need to much. Never do holiday meals anymore. The older I get the more I don't need, and wonder where all this junk came from. LOL

And yes I love that little carriage. Auntie was going to toss it and my mom was there and rescued it for me. Now My dd can love on it. And pass it on. Wonder what kind of dolly she pushed in it.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I love that wicker doll buggy Christmas Candy. So cute!

I am into prim stuff so I bought a wire spoon. Not picture worthy but will be cute in one of my crocks.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Although nothing this week, this is still my favorite thread for I get to see what others find!

LOS -- you have treasures as always -- often I covet them! That pitcher is perfect on that table and I love the flowers in them -- what a pretty picture!

CC -- love the pram -- wow! I can't believe $14.99 at a thrift store -- THEY (the thrift store) didn't know what they had! And you had a 50% off to boot! Good going! Isn't that why we go to all those places -- for scores like that!

Charles D -- I covet those prints as well -- they are perfect for that space -- such refined elegance!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Lisa Ann,
I did not photograph (in the past) my favorite wooden spoons, but the little touches added to our house is so much fun! (pic attached I just took) Here is my humble collection of wooden spoons I collected while treasure hunting in my Virginia house neighborhood thrift and consignment shops. They are displayed the way I used to have them in my Virginia kitchen on the counter. My daughter commandeered some (with my prodding)

Martha,
So glad you stop by and show support for our wonderful posters!

I agree with your statement about 'refined elegance' with prints that Charles put up over his fireplace mantel!

pitcher w wood spoons

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I thought I would clean them up a bit and show off a couple of the turnings on a few spoons. Sea beans at the bottom of the jar) They are mostly simple,and I do use them!

I BEACHED them up a bit!

wood spoons

posted Hide Post
Kudos to MR and LOS not only for finding great stuff but also arranging them so beautifully. LOS, I would love a cup of coffee at the little white bistro table with the shelf of green pottery above, very inviting.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth those are gorgeous spoons. To me they are not just spoons...they are art when artfully displayed as you have them. LOVE!

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Fun to peek in and see all the finds for this week. Thanks again Mary Ruth!

Charles, It's fun to go treasure hunting in the attic. Do you have the history behind the prints?

Lady, You have more great finds from your swap shop. That wire basket is perfect for the magazines. That green pitcher looks like a spot on match with the chairs. You have a nice spot for relaxing.

Candy, Have fun decorating the pram. I can imagine all the babies and then dolls that it has carried in it's day!

Mary Ruth, It really can be fun decorating with practical things. Love the display and especially the cute frog pitcher.

Great Finds Everyone!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D, Lisa Ann,
Thanks! I instantly thought of my narrow vase, it is wide but only about 2" from front to back, real thick and heavy, love it for shell collection too. I gave my daughter a few spoons that were fancier (she chose which ones she wanted). I have always loved wooden cooking implements.
I have a Pestle (pounding baton) that I use in different bowls. I am searching for just the right bowl to use it with, I have a small wooden salad bowl for it now. This thing (as DH calls it, a weapon) fits in my hand nicely and it is very heavy!

Beau's Rose,
Thanks, it has been fun to unpack and play with my stuff while deciding what I have room for in this house and what I will actually use.
I have had FUN doing the MMF's thread! Only one more Monday, is that one free for you? Didn't know if you were free yet to do one...

(attached photo) My Pestle I mentioned:
_

pestle

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Charles, that mirror looks perfect for Halloween....with that image in it...Wink.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit,
I am not sure if Charles did see this post... You could go on one of his threads and mention to come here to see, or repeat your question there!

Thank you everyone for all your incredible finds this week! I FOUND SOMETHING ON CL and picked it up this afternoon so I am all set for next week's MMF's!!! I am excited to see what wonderful FINDS and TREASURES everyone shares with us!
I hope Charles' drapery come in! Have a great weekend!

posted Hide Post
MR, I, too, was very much a tomboy, tree climbing, roof clambering, baseball, and bike riding! But, I still loved my dolls too!

JM49, I received the doll for a Christmas present in the late 50's. I don't know that she had a name, just listed as a life-size walking doll. I named her Rosemary May, (my daughters are very glad they didn't receive that name, LOL) I have bought her some different outfits from thrift stores, so she has a St. Paddys' outfit, an Easter outfit, Halloween costume, Christmas dress, and this sailor dress/hat is her summer outfit! Maybe I'm regressing! Actually she is in the DGK's bedroom at our house. I have a number of different toys in there for the DGK's.

CR, It is nice that your buggy is a family heirloom! My DM actually has her childhood wicker doll buggy in her bedroom with her childhood teddy bear in it. Her buggy is much smaller than the one I just bought, and not quite as fancy as it does not have a brake or the lever to swivel the buggy.

It will probably go to one of the DGGD's one of these days, but by the time they are old enough to appreciate it and care for it, thanks to our media focused society, they don't really like the baby dolls as much as the Bratz, American Girls, or Barbies. The innocence of childhood doesn't last as long as it once did!

TTFN,
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy, just think with me not buying any dolls... there was MORE for doll lovers like you!

YES time does pass quickly!

Thanks everyone for making this thread well cared for while Skyler was away, one more Monday and then Skyler will be BACK!!! MISSING you SKYLER!!!

posted Hide Post
Been on Vacation in Cape May for the past few days and off the internet.
Candy, look at the body of the doll right under where the neck connects. If it is a Patty Playpal or another IDEAL doll it will have a model # that you can google. My friend just looked at the pic and says definately, but it wouldn't hurt to check (just for hahas).

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Just a Christmas toss pillow and a garden scene toss pillow (with birdhouse motif that matches my birdhouses in my office) at Goodwill both for $1.99

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth,

Is that pestle purple or is my monitor? It looks heavy! Watch out for the DH and stay out of the way. Wink

Well I just finally came up for air this month and DH invited me to spend the day boating with him tomorrow. So please continue with the MMF thread. Thanks so much for the wonderful job hosting it too!

Smile

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
CJO,
Good deal!!! I hope you can post them in your Xmas photos when you decorate! Smile

Beau's Rose!
Have FUN on the boat!!!

That pestal is solid wood, that is like a Mahogany, the photo does not show the light graining in the wood. I am sure it is an exotic wood as the pestal was found in a set of Island woods collections of trays, etc. I don't think it is from Haiti... I have searched online and can't find any like it. Looks hand honed and cut... I will have to weigh it!
Will be here in the AM, I have something to share!