Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  was bored...updated chair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

was bored...updated chair Sign In/Join 
Picture of annielinz
posted
So we are down to the wire here for the house sale, it goes on the market Wednesday. I have been primping and cleaning and it's as good as it'll get at this point. However all this excess energy had me looking for a project to do.

So this chair was my grandmother's which I had covered in a floral and loved the outcome....however the years and our cat had taken a toll on it. So I stripped the material back to the orginal blue velour. The wood was a creamy yellow color and decided, what the heck lets paint it. I have tons of paint on hand and wanted to use up.I made my own chalk paint and painted it white, distressed it a bit to get the details showing. I had a old drop cloth on hand from the outdoor curtains I had made, and figured lets go with it. All I needed was some trim, went to the fabric store and found this for 50 cents a yard, bought 6 yards, so for 3 bucks here's the before, middle and after of this chair. It's not perfect but for an accent chair in the corner of a bedroom it'll work.
Before floral:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
stripped of fabric:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Much nicer:

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
close up of trim:

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
The years and our cat's do take a toll on everything!! Big Grin

It looks great!

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
NICE save! Great clean up and getting the chair 'like new' again! Good project!

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
not fair! wish you lived next door! i have 2 chairs crying for help!

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
some of the coolest things that i have done have been created out of boredom! LOL!!

Looking great! My mom just sold her house in 3 days!! Good luck to you!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5552 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6184 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
It looks great! Too bad you can't come and do mine cane chair I bought on CL. It's been sitting for four months now!!

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Fabulous!
You did a wonderful job and the price was amazing!

TFS,
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Annie,

You gave that tired chair a whole new life. No more boring! Great job using the drop cloth for fabric.

Did you use glue to attach the trim to the chair?

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9344 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
Beau's Rose, yes I used lots of hot glue and a staple gun. It wasn't the neatest job I've done, but again it's not going to be a chair that will be sat on a lot. It's a temporary fix.
I did see the cat eyeballing the chair....what is it with them!!

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Really pretty.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I like it annie, you did a great job on it.

Is your house up for sale yet?? Nevermind I see it went up for sale on Wednesday. LOL

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post