Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  My new glass cooktop is in, but I had a problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new glass cooktop is in, but I had a problem Sign In/Join 
posted
It was installed yesterday and I used it last night to boil some pasta. I used my Pampered Chef white ceramic covered saucepan. Afterwards, I noticed these ivory colored streaks/smudges on the top that did not wipe off. I had to use the special pad and cleaner and REALLY scrub to get the marks off. Then, I read the instructions and it said not to use anything with a painted or enameled bottom (these pots have an enameled logo on the bottom), plus it says never to use stoneware or cast iron.

I sell Pampered Chef and I use a lot of stoneware, even on the stove. Plus, I have my pots. Are the instructions just being overly cautious? I didn't know where else to ask.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Oct 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Sounds as tho you need new pots/pans. Before you shop, contact the cooktop manufacturer for recommendations. You don't want to jeopardize their warranty. BTW, I have never had a glass cooktop, but know they can be fussy since friends have had them. I hope you enjoy yours with confidence soon.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
If I had that much trouble cleaning those streaks off I think I would quite using the cookware. It is obvious that they could cause permanent damage.

I'm not sure I would buy another glass cooktop.

Posts: 7979 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't really have much of a choice but to go with a glass top. I needed a 30" electric cooktop and the only other kind I could find are the old coil style, which I didn't want. I don't have access to gas.

I read the instructions after I used it and it says to clean it before first use, which I didn't do. I'm hoping that will make a difference.

posted Hide Post
We have had a glass top stove for quite a few years. We cook on it with Corning Ware pans/casseroles and also stainless Calophan pans. Our glass top stove is so easy to clean...the only thing I worry about is when you make fudge or other sugary foods, you have to be careful they don't spill on the glass top...it permanently pits the glass.

love life

Posts: 1491 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I have a glasstop, and yes, pan restrictions!!!

What you use to clean it with will also determine how well the glass lasts.

I see many use Soft Scrub, but while it cleans it doesn't lay the light wax coating on--which really protects. I use only CeramaBryte (sp?) and the yellow nylon scrubbies the seller carried. They are also made for the glasstop--these are not just the typical nylon scrubbies in the store.

Sorry your seller was NOT CLEAR in the restrictions.

Also, if there is anything on the cooktop BEFORE you start cooking, CLEAN AND GET IT OFF BEFORE TURNING ON THE HEAT!!! Do NOT turn it on.

Posts: 4447 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IndexLady - Thanks so much for that tip. My appliance also came with the yellow scrubber and the Cerama Bryte stuff. I will make sure to stick with it.

I used my stainless skillet tonight and it worked fantastic. I think it might just be the one pot and skillet I have with the white enameled bottoms.

posted Hide Post
I have a glasstop in Florida and work hard at keeping its surfaces clean of any spillovers before using again. Also learned not to shuffle my pan around when making popcorn - fear I could permanently scratch surface. And that ceramabrite(sp?) really does work. Enjoy!!

Posts: 3102 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
LOL Forensic....I laid awake last night wanting to google enameled pots and glasstop ranges....I have a GE Profile and Santa is bringing me a Le Creuset Enameled Dutch Oven(a second but nonetheless....it's green!)Big Grin I had not considered it a problem...but just now I googled and saw lots of threads about people using them on glasstop stoves with no problem. So maybe it's just the pampered chef exterior problem that's odd though that the paint comes off! Eek Just saw many comments of not to drag them but lift them off...which makes sense to me. Mine is completely non patterned except the rings...yours seems to have a raised dotted pattern outside the rings?

Thanks for the heads up on the yellow scrubbies indexlady I will have to try those....Smile

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7310 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Might also check cast iron, coated or not. And copper pots. The instructions for my model say no for both.

Each model will be different, so be sure to read the restrictions for your model.

Posts: 4447 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks GreenAlice. Thankfully, I only have 1 pot and 1 skillet in this white ceramic. The others I have are stainless or the Executive non-stick, which work great (also Pampered Chef). I think I'm just going to look into a new pot and skillet.

So far, I absoutely love the looks. I just have to remind myself not to stack things on it like I used to with my other one. I can completely cover the island with a table cloth and use as a serving area, if needed. My controls are digital, but I can lock them, so they won't accidentally come on.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of clients that had the completely FLAT cooktop built into their counter. And we made (in the shop) wood trays with low feet and some with felt on the bottom to place on top of the cooktop for parties. The controls were 'locked' and tray on top became the BAR!

Posts: 9699 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a glass cooktop before having propane tank installed so that I could switch to gas. I have a blue Le Creuset Dutch Oven that I used with no problem, Green Alice, on my glass cooktop. I'm sure we used cast iron skillets on it too - in fact, I know we did now that I think about it.

Forensic, glad you were able to get it clean!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Annapolis, Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have a glass cooktop and keep it clean with the single-edged razor in a holder that was provided with it as well as a cooktop cleaner that I bought at bed bath and beyond. The razor is great for stubborn spills. Just be sure to hold at an angle to scrape. Love my glass cooktop!

Posts: 289 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
May is right about the sugar getting on them. I had fudge boil over and it permanently pitted the top. I would never have a glasstop stove again. I have gas now and would not trade it for anything.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gwenda
posted Hide Post
I have had a Sears Elite Induction cooktop for about 17-18 mos. It replaced a very worn electric glass cooktop that was in the house when we purchased. It is something of a pain to clean without smears--I think we are using Wieman cleaner.
Of course, being induction means I had to buy new stainless cookware (Le Creusett) to replace my Aluminum Caphlon. I must say I miss the non-stick capabilities of the aluminum but are adapting. (You can teach this 68 year old dog new tricks.)
I haven't had gas in maybe 40 years. (The last gas we had was in Italy that used a bottled propane without a gage so you could see how much remained. Every time I wanted to cook something that required uninterrupted heat and continuous stirring is when the bombula would run out.) It just hasn't been an option since. I had JennAir glass electric in my last house. It was easier to clean than this Kenmore being that it was sort of a pebbled black as opposed to a solid black. Yes do be careful of sugar. Early on I spilled some sugar I was browning on the JennAir. I used a knife to scrap it off and managed to pit it nicely. From then on it was always use a straight edge razor. I will say I used that pitted cooktop element for almost ten years before replacing it without any problems and only replaced it because we were selling the house.
My favorite electric cooking surfaces have been the solid European elements that I had in Spain and then again in a house we built in the eighties. These are no longer made since it seems everyone else but me had problems with them. (They did hold the heat a long time but were such an improvement over the coil in my opinion.)

Sorry for going down memory lane a bit.

Posts: 1171 | Location: DFW Metroplex | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
this thread will have to be filed back into myh brain. I sooooo want a glass top stove!! I do have Revere Ware copper bottom pots and pans. My one skillet though is not copper bottom.

I'm not into buying new pots and pans....sigh...

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5578 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Put me down as another glass cooktop lover. It was in the home when we bought it and I have used it for over 12 years!
I do use the recommended cleaner, but most of the time, it just wipes right off.

I always cook my candy in the bottom of my old pressure cooker which is fairly deep and heavy so have not had a problem with sugar boiling over.

To each his own, LOL

Candy

Posts: 1297 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merella:
I used to have a glass cooktop before having propane tank installed so that I could switch to gas. I have a blue Le Creuset Dutch Oven that I used with no problem, Green Alice, on my glass cooktop. I'm sure we used cast iron skillets on it too - in fact, I know we did now that I think about it.

Forensic, glad you were able to get it clean!

Oooh thanks for letting me know your blue one did fine....just washed up my new green toy and looking forward to playing with it! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Why did I never think of a razor...I use it to scrape goo off glass windows and tile floors....but now I have a new use! THANKS! Wink

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am glad May pointed out the issue of sugar dropping onto the glass and pitting it. My research long ago cautioned that which is one reason I shied away from a glass cooktop. With proper precautions tho, it should serve you well and maintain it's pristine look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post