Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What's happening in the Maine woods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's happening in the Maine woods Sign In/Join 
Picture of Maine Lady
posted
Whoo hoo, we've been whirlwind busy getting our home and property reading for a wedding! Our son and his very special fiancee will have an intimate ceremony for 30 people, followed by a large reception for 150-200 on August 30th!
DS and his VSF had planned a destination wedding in Feb of 2015, with a reception on our property for Aug of 2015. Our VSF's grandmother has recently been diagnosed with a terminal
illness. As soon as "the kids" learned the
devastating news, they changed their plans. DS
and VSF are amazing. They understand what is
important: FAMILY!
We are thrilled, excited for them and eager to
help! Sooo, we put our plans to have the house restained in the fall onto the fast track and fortunately the company we are working with has been able to rework their schedule. We are keeping the tan clapboards with the dark green trim and carrying the dark green down on the shiplap, instead of using the redwood color we had chosen before. I love the change! It is a handsome combination!
DH and I have been putting extra hours into keeping the gardens looking good and DH is mowing his fields in preparation for the big day.
The tent and rental company we are working with is amazing. They came here to walk the property and help design the set up for the ceremony and reception. They are going to incorporate our stone wall in with the design! I think that is pretty cool and will be a great example of the wall serving form and function.
Fortunately, we have not had any major interior projects going on, so our home is in great shape to host the bride and her family as we all have hair and make up done here and then get dressed for the wedding. The only thing I did was order new bedding for the guest room ( which I was going to do any way, but hadn't decided what I wanted------haha a wedding being planned in under 6 weeks really prompted me to make a choice).
I wanted to share our happy news with you all and let you know that what's happening in the Maine woods is going to be one big celebration of love, family and friends!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maine Lady,

Maine Lady

Posts: 5752 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
That is very special that they decided to move the date forward. And how exciting - We can't wait to see photos of your backyard wedding!

Our DS decided to be married in our tiny backyard. That took place in February. (California, you know) It was decidedly fun!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! and how fun!

Nothing like a hundred people coming to your house, to put yourself in fifth gear cleaning/decorating mode LOL

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's wonderful news. Considering the tough time you've had in the last few years, it's terrific that happiness and joy are filling your life now.

I'm sorry that a family member's illness is the reason that your son and prospective daughter-in-law are changing their wedding date, but admire their kindness in doing so.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
KG, WWanda and Graciepj, thank you for your warm wishes. Even though a very sad situation prompted the change of plans, we are all focusing on the positives and excitement for the bride and groom. Love is in the air, big time!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5752 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I feel your excitement and joy and believe me your news is a breath of fresh air. How exciting for you and your family. I am looking forward to picks. Have a blast!

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Great joy to you all Mary Ann. This would be exactly the kind of wedding I would think ideal!

Even the short planning time, makes you not agonize over things but cut right to the chase!

You should have wonderful weather. How will you feel having both chicks out of the nest and into their own?

This is a proud and happy time for your family and the past year seems to have been blessed for you too. May the blessings continue!

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and how exciting to host the reception!!
What great kids to recognize the importance of family.
Have a wonderful time enjoying this joyous occasion!
Please share pictures of your property all decked out for the wedding.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
What a positive balance and GREAT memory builder for everyone that will share in the joys at that wedding! I am so happy for you to be part of all this with the guests all around you for this celebration! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I look forward to more news and stories about the planning and wedding event photos!

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I am so happy for all of you. YES I agree, those are amazing kids..

love and light to G'Ma.. I hope her transition to the next plane is peaceful and painfree and he is surrounded by her loved ones..

Posts: 10040 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo, your comment made me smile. I am happy to be a breath of fresh air and have a group who enjoys hearing my news.
Emily, we have definitely cut to the chase here! Both families consist of members who have a "get 'er done" mindset. We know how to make things happen.....we can sleep later. DH and I have been empty nesters for a few years now.....those babies of ours spread their wings
and began their solo flights prior to getting married.
Annielinz, we are so fortunate that DS and future DIL want to celebrate here. We are hosting the small wedding, as well. That will be at 4:00, then at 6:00, the other guests will arrive.
Mary Ruth, yes, joining families, celebrating our ble s sings and making memories! We continue the legacy of forming strong bonds.
Sonny, thank you or the wishes for G'Ma. She is an amazing woman, who has raised an equally amazing family. She has a strong support system, including many earth and he avenly guardians and an gels.

Maine Lady

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady,

I'm very happy to hear your good news. It all sounds amazingly beautiful. Sweet blessings to all of you.

Wedding plans for DD in October down here in Georgia. Your 6 weeks deadline is tough I'm sure.

Your statement of your DH mowing his fields (on a tractor, I assume?) must mean his health issues are behind him. More good news!

Wishing all of you a beautiful day of making memories that will last a lifetime.

GP Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2308 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a testament by your son and his fiancé as to how their parents raised them to value their family. I'm sure your property will be in all it's glory and the memories will be treasured forever. Your part in it is priceless. Enjoy.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Thank you Georgia Peach. Congratulations and best wishes to your DD with her wedding.....October is such a gorgeous month! Yes, gratefully, DH has made a remarkable recovery. He does have a few minor deficits, which bother him from time to time, but he has been able to reclaim his life. He and DS went on a hunting trip to the Northwest Territories last fall. This year, DH has resumed golfing. Smile
Awww, thank you mamaspoon! I do think our kids (and this includes my SIL and future DIL) have a strong sense of family, priority and values. It is a heartwarming feeling to witness the thoughtful and caring decisions these young people make. I do feel very honored to have been asked and to be able to take the lead in planning this wedding. Future DIL is the baby girl in her family and of course, they want her wedding to be a special event. Understandably, much of their focus and energy needs to be devoted to DIL's G'Ma. We all get along and communicate well, so putting this wedding together in 6 weeks, while challenging, is possible and thus far we have had no awkwardness or tensions spring up.
One other very cool thing: future DIL just graduated from college and landed a first grade teaching job (in another school in our district)! I love the fact that when school begins, she and I will both be teaching first grade and our students will call us "Mrs. Young". <3<3<3 of course, now there is a chance I will become labeled "the old Mrs. Young"!

Maine Lady

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
How sweet! I would claim 'The first Mrs Young, DIL can be, The second Mrs Young!!

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
omg..thought I was the only one crazy to have done home projects and wedding at the same time...congratulations!!

we remodeled our kitchen and the bride to be helped (and was the best)assembling cabinets and they both helped with painting...

sure hope your guest see the fruit of your labors, lol...not one guest for the rehersal dinner stepped inside! (we had a bbq in the backyard) and everyone just walked straight to the back...

Posts: 8580 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
I like your idea, MaryRuth!
Sjf, we will be having a BBQ, too, catered by Mainely Meats, one of the "kids" favorite restaurants. Other than the brides family and some of DS's best friends and the photographer, I don't think many will come into the house. The reception will be Under a tent, on our front lawn, overlooking the deer fields. It would be great if the does and their fawns joined us at the celebration! There will be a place for lawn games and extra chairs set out on the lawn, as well as wooden boat filled with ice, water and other beverages. I see a lot of love and laughter in our future!

Maine Lady

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wonderful celebration!! Are you going to have portajohns set up for guests or are they going to be coming in to use the bathroom??

Posts: 1118 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady,

Congrats and best wishes to everyone. Good luck to both your son and DIL on their new journey in life. How special that you two will be teaching side by side in the class room.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kayhill, we will have the portajohns set up. I can't imagine having all those people inside the house trying to use the facilities. We are keeping as much of the celebration as we can outside.
Thank you Beau's Rose. DIL will be in a different school, but whenever we have district days, common studies or workshops, she and I will be together. Smile.

Maine Lady