Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Your preference in a master bath?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your preference in a master bath? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Jewel
posted
When it comes to the tub in a master bath, I'm wondering what most people prefer. We're remodeling and can choose to have a free standing tub or an undermount tub surrounded by a granite or tile (see photos in my next posts for examples of each).

Question:
If given your choice, would you rather have a free standing tub or an undermount tub with a surround/decking?

Choices:
Free standing
Under mount with surround/decking

Posts: 8188 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Example of a free standing tub

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Example of an undermount tub with a surrounding material like granite or tile.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I'm voting for the undermount simply because I like the idea of having "space" around the tub to put down a drink, or place a candle, etc.

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
While I enjoy the look of the free standing tub, I fall on the side of practicality. I would put in an under-mount bath tub. Of course, if you did put in a freestanding tub, you could always place an appropriate height table next to it to store essentials and have space to sit things as you would already have with an under-mount.

Posts: 9003 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Ditto about space around the tub to put things. Sure, there could be a little table, but that just adds floor clutter.

I always have drinking water and various personal sundries on my tub surround when taking a bath.

Posts: 4407 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I vote for undermount.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
interesting -- all the replies so far are in favor of the undermount tub, yet the poll results show 50% are in favor of the free standing tub. C'mon, freestanders, speak up and tell me why you prefer this choice! Smile

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I like the look of a free standing tub, but they require a bit more room as they look better with a bit of open space around them. It is also more difficult to clean around the wall side of a free standing tub, and you have the water pipes coming up from the floor which are more little parts to clean around. As other posters have said, a free standing tub requires room for some sort of little table nearby to hold essentials.

If you have extra room in the bath, and you don't mind the extra cleaning challenge, then free standing tubs are great.

A built in tub is more practical and takes less space to be done right.

When I was making this decision in my own master bath I choose an over mount tub so that I could use the lip of the tub to hang onto when I get in and out of the tub. It feels more steady and less slippy to me.

Posts: 7086 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I love the look of the old clawfoot tubs floating in a bathroom. But as cocok stated, The bathroom must me large enough to handle it. I tell you what I don't like...I don't like the big jetted tubs they put in the bathrooms. I'd just assume have a smaller tub I can soak in and a larger shower!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
My bathroom remodel includes a freestanding tub flush to the floor and the bathroom is not spacious. There will be a small shower next to it, a toilet across from the shower and a double vanity across from the tub. I realize cleaning around the window side won't be easy. BTW, the tub is replacing a jacuzzi which was the elephant in the room. A half wall on one side of the shower will feature glass as well as the glass door. DH may build a recess shelf between studs next to the tub and I will have a soap/book tray that slides over the tub. A free standing towel rack will be placed near the tub. Also, the tub filler will be sleek and unobtrusive emerging from one pole from the tiled floor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jewel:
interesting -- all the replies so far are in favor of the undermount tub, yet the poll results show 50% are in favor of the free standing tub. C'mon, freestanders, speak up and tell me why you prefer this choice! Smile

Our master is very MidCentMod and is one long rectangle. I really would prefer a freestanding tub simply for the visual interest. Likely a vintage clawfoot. There is just so much wasted space in there right now, and we don't even use the shower as it is a very scary dark rectangle in the corner.

I think the freestanding will give it a far more feminine edge as it is a luxury, shower will be improved for everyday use, and the long double sink vanity and long make-up vanity will be replaced with separate sinks and storage. Second bath will keep the existing tub.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2994 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
our tub is neither free standing or undermount. It is one on the outside (free standing) but is attached to the wall on the other side and on the back. In the front, the faucet and handles are on a half wall that hides the pipes.

I like this tub a lot as it has no shower.

In previous homes I have had claw footed tubs and I do not see a problem about cleaning around them anymore than cleaning around the base of a toilet that also has pipes.

Posts: 12209 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
DH & I went to the "Parade of Homes" in our area....all houses prices @ 1 million + and were all sold.....and EVERY master bath has the free standing tub.....it looked wonderful in every home....which, again, was already sold.

I love them, not sure how practical they are, but then I have the under mount tub in my Master bath and have never ever been in it...I just clean it Frown

Posts: 1673 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the tub in a house I'm working on completing. The picture is not great, it's from the real estate agent's phone We added the shelf between the tub and window to hold the soap, a good book, a few candles and a bottle of bubbly!

Posts: 734 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tub, which looks small here, is 72", the entire room is about 22 feet long.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
That tub is very similar to the one I am including in my bath Reno. There is a window along the back like yours, but the filler will be to one end vs the backside. Wish my bathroom was a bit larger.

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Chuck. I love that tub!!! Since I take a bath EVERY night, I must have a tub!!!

Posts: 3041 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Love that there is a tiled shelf next to the tub! That takes care of the questions about where the bather would put a towel, candle, soap dish, glass of wine, book, etc. Clever!

posted Hide Post
The shelf is actually topped with the same marble slabs as the vanities; the floor and lower walls are tiled with marble.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Chuck, do you know the tub's manufacturer? Is it cast iron or acrylic? Mine will be a 60" due to the area restrictions.

posted Hide Post
This one is a Barkley, it's acrylic and it came from efaucets. It is available in many length, width, depth combos with the faucet mounting outside (like this one) or on a flat section of the side rim and you can get that predrilled or not. I think it also was available with air jets. The packaging was very good and it arrived without a scratch. Elizabethan Classics makes very similar tubs.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ah, mine will be Barkley too only jet less, no overflow and no faucet holes. I will have a Grohe freestanding fill on one end.

posted Hide Post
Tip from the plumber - Always get a hand held shower for a tub like this even if you don't think you'll need it for bathing; it makes cleaning the tub much easier.

posted Hide Post
I also need to correct what I said about the faucets being mounted outside the tub. The supply lines actually come up through the floor between the tub and shelf wall and are mounted on a flattened section of the top rim. That enabled us to get the tub closer to the shelf. The original plan was to have the tub a little closer and the faucets mounted through the top of the shelf but choices were very limited in fills with a long enough reach for that.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
FYI, I did select a hand held spray style for the reason you mentioned. BTW, one contractor pointed out that having the filler to the back wall means you will have to stretch to turn it on and off which is why I opted for the end positioning.

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I have one of the old fashioned claw foot tubs but I am moving Monday. I have enjoyed it but I did not enjoy cleaning UNDER it! I had to lay on my stomach to do it! And I am almost 73. Not an easy task. I will be enjoying the shower in my newer home. There is a tub in the guest bath if I want to soak.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Tho I too like the look of a claw foot tub, I considered the aspect of cleaning underneath it. This is the same reason I nixed the vanity on legs option.

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Froo -- my childhood home had a clawfoot tub. It was really difficult to clean under as the "belly" of the tub was close, but not touching, the floor.

Everyone -- THANK YOU all for contributing your votes and thoughts on the two tub choices. It appears that tub with surround is the more popular choice, but not by much. Ultimately, I think I couldn't go wrong in terms of re-sale by either choice. Mucho gracias!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Jewel, consider the size of your bath. In my case, it's just over 8x11' and currently has a lg. jacuzzi tub w/ surround, small shower, toilet and double sink vanity. My research early on this year advised me to take out the tub completely and enlarge the shower stating it's the current trend in master bathrooms if you have a tub in another. Two things gave me pause...the word "trend" and resale. I opted for the freestanding tub similar to the pic in a previous response, keep my shower the same size, but add glass panels and door. Both will visually give the perception of a larger space. If, on the other hand, your bathroom is larger, than the choice is yours. Do know jacuzzi tubs have been deemed "out" as bacteria can build up in the jets (I think that's their issue) and bubble tubs are "in". Still, mine will be just a soaker freestanding tub. BTW, I will have a tray that fits over the tub for soap, sponge, a glass of vino, a book. Smile

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
froo froo.i I went with a standard tub...but bought the deepest one they had...only problem i can't bathe in a tub! but the grands enjoy it when they come! dh and I had huge argument, too. he wanted the same walk in shower I have...we may never sell this place, but we do have one full bath, lol....

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post