Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Cabinet Completed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabinet Completed Sign In/Join 
posted
First of all sorry for the size of the pics. I seem to be too tech challenge to figure out how to resize them. Anyway, this is the vitage cabinet I "upcycled" by add ind a base and refinishing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

white cabinet resized

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
WOW...she's GORGEOUS!!!

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cxabinet sits behind a Vicorian Table we turned into a center island. Here's the cabinet with the counter stools.

cabinet with stools II

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stunning.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Here you go, beautiful!

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the entire setting. The mirrors are to die for. Good job and thanks for showing us.

Posts: 566 | Location: Dallas,Tx USA | Registered: May 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
It's really lovely! And I, for one, am glad that you ended up with a big photo ---I'm loving all the details.

What kind of paint did you use, or did you mention that in an earlier thread?

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! AMAZING!
Came out awesome and LOVE the legs, and the white... they really showcase the urns and flame.... LOVE it!!!

GREAT JOB and GREAT project!

Love the chairs and prints above cabinet too! Thanks so much for sharing! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfection!

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I used Benjamin Moore Advance, it's a waterborne alkyd so it cleans up with soap and water but dries hard like and oil based paint. B.M. is highly recommending it for kitchen cabinets.It's tough to work with using a brush. Even with an expensive boar bristle brush and finely sanding between each coat there are still some faint brush marks.The drying time is 16 hours and takes a while to really harden. I'm happy with the outcome but the pieces I painted with oil based paint did come out better, but I waited a full week in between each coat so it took a month to prime and do three coats!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
what is it about white that can make a piece pop in any setting?? love the chairs!

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the paint! And did you paint inside, or leave it wood? curious if you gold leafed the interior or ???

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles. Lovely job.
I just have to say that I PREFER the large picture. Easier to see than the usual dinky ones.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see absolutely NO way that cabinet can work in your surroundings. Therefore, since I need a great piece for my DR and you're only a about 10 miles away I'll be over this weekend to pick it up! Be warned, if it's gone, you know where it is! Great job.
Someone on this board did their kitchen cabinets with Advance and raved about it. As soon as I use up the gallon of BM Impervo, which I love, I'll give it a try.

Posts: 1967 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:
I see absolutely NO way that cabinet can work in your surroundings. Therefore, since I need a great piece for my DR and you're only a about 10 miles away I'll be over this weekend to pick it up! Be warned, if it's gone, you know where it is! Great job.
Someone on this board did their kitchen cabinets with Advance and raved about it. As soon as I use up the gallon of BM Impervo, which I love, I'll give it a try.

Just bring Milk Bones for the dog! If you do decide to use the Advance, either paint inside or make sure it's not humid, because it dries to the touch quickly like the usual latex but it takes 16 hours to recoat, and longer to harden. To be honest jaysmom, I think the Advance is best used when sprayed, because the water base would make it easier to clean out the sprayer and you wouldn't get the brush marks I had to deal with. The other thing I thought of was doing two final top coats( four coats in all!) with the paint thinned out, so it would "level" better, but it would take a long, long time to make sure each coat totally cured.To be honest I probably wouldn't use it again because I don't have a spayer and my oil based pieces that I brushed on really do look better. Good Luck!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Charles D, that's a beautiful cabinet. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D,
What oil base did you use? I am grateful for your posting these issues with paint. I am watching for your replies on here. I understand the amount of work necessary, and waiting in between coats of paint to cure. But after some time passes, the time is forgotten and the results are with your for a very long time, so it is worth it.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I can also recommend Pittsburgh Paints' waterbased acrylic alkyd called "Manor Hall," which is probably similar to the Benjamin Moore version.

Our painter swears by this paint for cabinets: it dries to a rock-hard finish and is more environmentally friendly than oil-based paints.

He used this on our kitchen cabinets during our remodeling recently, and the results were spectacular. It is holding very well so far to constant use.

Posts: 5310 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Benjamin Moore Advance, it's a waterborne alkyd

Charles D, what a wonderful job and gorgeous piece. I thank you personally for the info on the product used for this project. I will definitely use this paint...sooooooon!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1177 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Acychiuaua, Do you have pictures you can post of before and after on your cabinets? Actually anyone who has used this product or similar product. I'd love to see Pics!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1177 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Charles D,
What oil base did you use? I am grateful for your posting these issues with paint. I am watching for your replies on here. I understand the amount of work necessary, and waiting in between coats of paint to cure. But after some time passes, the time is forgotten and the results are with your for a very long time, so it is worth it.

M.R. about a year and a half ago I bought a discontined TV cabinet from Baker at a substantial discount. It came with a taupe crackle finish. I sanded the beejeezus out of it then did two coats of Bins Primer. I found this purple sand paper at Lowe's that was like a super fine emory paper which I used in between each coat. I painted the cabinet along with two pedestals and the fireplace mantle I built with a B.M. oil base in a satin finish. I set a side one of my days off and painted one coat per week. I lightly sanded then wiped down with a cotton tee shirt with a little bit of paint thinner on it. I set a small jar of paint thinner on the side and occaissionally dipped the brush into the paint thinner before I dipped it in the paint can. All four pieces cam out great. This was before we rescued Max, so this time I opted not to use oil.He's a pit bull with short wirey hairs that get everywhere.

I personally feel like the cabinet can use a fifth coat but when I told the paint store owner he audibly gasped. His feeling was I should have only primed once and finished up with three coats using the B.M. Advance. I don't know if it was because I was going white over walnut but I feel as if the coverage could have been better. It may be because I am used to working with oil which gave me great coverage.Plus with oil after a few weeks the satin finish dried to a beatifull mellow eggshell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby:
Acychiuaua, Do you have pictures you can post of before and after on your cabinets? Actually anyone who has used this product or similar product. I'd love to see Pics!

I'm behind in downloading my photos...soon, I will post the B's & A's. I promise! Smile

Posts: 5310 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
aychihuahua,
I am looking forward to seeing your photos! I have been patient waiting until you were settled in... to ask how your remodeling was going!

Charles D,
The cabinet is like an Armoire, right, and two pedestals all in white, right...

Wait.. YOU BUILT that mantel you have posted on the MMF's thread? WOW! Gotta go check that out again! OK back with photo (attached part showing mantel). Could you post the whole facade of that fireplace wall showing the whole fireplace and over mantel area?

I have Penetrol and Flotrol for thinning oil based and water based (Flotrol) by Flood. So, I could add that to the paint to give it more leveling time. I used to paint a lot when I was younger and refinished a lot of pieces for family and friends for practice.

Taking the time it takes to get the paint right is so worth it! Well, If I were going over Walnut I would have primed twice! And I love the way oil base paint looks when it softens to a mellow sheen which is my favorite finish.

Congrats on rescuing Max, I know what dog hairs can do to indoor projects! We had two Siberian Huskies in our Virginia house for over 6 years, and we had to shut the door in a room that had the painting to be done. Those Husky hairs showed up everywhere! I took with me, two small birds nests that we found with a white lining in each! We recently watched a Husky for a friend who needed help for 6 months. That put a STOP on all painting! LOL

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! I really appreciate it!

charles mantel

posted Hide Post
I don't know how I missed this thread. Charles your home is beautiful and the cabinet is so unique and gorgeous. I'm also impressed with your mantel, your art, and well, everything in your home! What colour are the walls? They really set everything off with dramatic sophistication.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Posts: 3317 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusanBradfordKent:
Charles your home is beautiful and the cabinet is so unique and gorgeous. I'm also impressed with your mantel, your art, and well, everything in your home!

I SO AGREE!

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Your cabinet looks perfect paint and all. You sure worked magic with the re-do. Nice to hear about Max and his rescue too.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9460 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Your refinished piece looks amazing! But I'm drooling over the chairs!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7468 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you all certainly made my day. Sometimes when you're doing the work yourself you get so cought up in getting it right you lose sight of the fact that you're doing this for fun! Everyone's kind words helped put the fun back and the stiff knees and sore shoulders seem worth it now.

MR, the owner of the Ricciardi Bros. Paint Store franchise here in Harding clearly stated no Flotrol with the Advance, he suggested thinning it with a minute amount of water.

SBK the walls are a S.W. color Peppercorn, but we have cathedral ceilings in the LR so I had the paint store color match with B.M. Aura. It was $70 bucks a gallon, but covered beautifuuly with two coats, no primer, so it truly balanced out cost wise.

Z9L, the chairs are actually counter height stools from Hancock and Moore in a heavy duty leopard print chenile I got on closeout. The model name is the "Wynn" because they were designed to go into a really fancy bar in one of Steve Wynn's hotels in Las Vegas. I think that's pretty funny, because although I love some whimsy and some glam I don't think of myself as "Vegas"!

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, either side of the mantle/chimney breast are matched windows. Right now I am waiting for my bargain drapes from Pottery Barn as per MMF's two weeks ago(?). They are on back order. As soon as they are up I'll post the whole fireplace wall. Thanks again. Everyone's nice words are giving me the steam to keep going.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles,
Thanks for the advice about Flotrol, I remember something about how Flotrol can change the color a bit too. Thanks for bringing that up!

That Peppercorn color is silky & luchious ... I think! Smile

I got something on CL TODAY!!! Just got home...will be posting on MMF's!

I can see a smidgen of 'Vegas' in your decor! The LUSH of the hotel atmosphere where one is made to feel like a WINNER! Smile

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I found these online today, thought of your cabinet!

Of course these are pricey but so gorgeous!
http://www.brenthullsignature.com/

I also started a Pinterest board with urns... just couldn't stop looking at them all... so beautiful!
http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/urns-a-thing-for-them/

Urns brent hull