Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  8 Worst Decorating Ideas of All Time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 Worst Decorating Ideas of All Time Sign In/Join 
Picture of Annett
posted
MSN had a slide show of the worst decorating ideas of all time. They include:

1. Matching color toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles

2. Contour bath (toilet) rug and matching seat cover

3. Popcorn ceilings

4. Animal-head trophies as wall art

5. Mosquito netting as bed canopy

6. Plastic furniture covers

7. Wall-to-wall carpet

8. Curtains that don't close

I assume in #1 they're referring to the old all pink or turquoise bathrooms. Frankly, I think they're kind of fun, though I've never had one. And I think the uncloseable curtains may depend on your view. But the rest seem appropriately objectionable.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
My answers in CAPS, but I'm not yelling; Lol!

1. Matching color toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles: I HAD BEIGE ONCE; LIKED THEM AS IT WAS A HOUSE IN A WOODSY SETTING.

2. Contour bath (toilet) rug and matching seat cover: I LIKED THEM, BUT THE SEAT COVERS NEVER SEEMED TO FIT RIGHT.

3. Popcorn ceilings: NEVER THOUGHT THEY WERE THAT BAD; DO PEOPLE REALLY LOOK AT CEILINGS THAT OFTEN?

4. Animal-head trophies as wall art: IF ONE HAS A LODGE-TYPE HOME, WHY NOT (ALTHOUGH I WOULDN'T KILL ONE TO MOUNT).

5. Mosquito netting as bed canopy: I THINK IT'S RATHER BOHEMIAN AND WOULD LIKE IT IN A TROPICAL-TYPE HOUSE.

6. Plastic furniture covers: DON'T LIKE.

7. Wall-to-wall carpet: USED TO BE ALLLLL THE RAGE; MY MOTHER WAS SOOOOO THRILLED TO GET HERS!

8. Curtains that don't close: DO YOU MEAN DECORATIVE PANELS OF FABRIC? MAYBE SOME CAN'T AFFORD 'DRAW DRAPES' AND HAVE TO USE PANELS AND (INEXPENSIVE) BLINDS UNDERNEATH.

Just my thoughts... Smile

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we make up our own?
1. plastic slipcovers for lamp shades (seen this in South Philly, it does exist)
2. upside down Christmas trees
3.carpet covered cat tree fort thingies
4.kewpie doll toilet paper covers
5.the chair and a half
6.macrame
7.outline quilted floral chintz
8.JFK memorial salt and pepper shakers with the holes in the head (really, that was a good idea?)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Ok, here I go:
1. I just want decently installed tile and fixtures of a quality that work. I prefer white for fixtures like toilets, sinks, tubs...easy to decorate around.
2. Toilet seat covers, no. A rug in front of the toilet is ok, does not need to be contoured, who puts their feet back on the ear flaps of the U design? (seems all the toilets vary in bottom profile anyway)
3. I don't like a popcorn ceiling, and when shopping for a home, discounted any that had them.
4. Animal heads? Depends on the room, region and personal taste, I guess?
5. If one had no screens, and mosquitoes, then makes sense.
6. Plastic furniture covers?, no way a class act. Too many washable throws and slipcovers to even consider. Anyone remember clear vinyl seat covers in cars?
7. W to W carpet? I happen to like it..a lot. With two dogs, vacuuming is easy, but if it involved vacuuming and chasing hair balls on a wood floor daily, that would drive me crazy.
8. Curtains are often considered more decorative, than drapes. I like insulating window covers (whatever the style). As long as one has the privacy and light control one needs, any means is a good means. I also really like our top down/bottom up honeycomb shades, but decorators may not?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Can we make up our own?
1. plastic slipcovers for lamp shades (seen this in South Philly, it does exist)
5.the chair and a half
6.macrame
8.JFK memorial salt and pepper shakers with the holes in the head (really, that was a good idea?)

I think I like your list more than the one MSN came up with, Charles! Had to image-search the JFK shakers ...unbelievable!! (the holes are, as Charles said, on top of JFK's head, and in the back of the chair)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love Charles' version, but I will comment on the original post. I'll do caps like CJO did.

1. Matching color toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles - IT WAS PROBABLY A BAD IDEA BECAUSE IT IS SO DIFFICULT TO DECORATE AROUND...HOWEVER, IN THE RIGHT SETTING IT CAN BE COOL.

2. Contour bath (toilet) rug and matching seat cover - UGHH! SO UNSANITARY. I DON'T MIND A BATHMAT A FEW INCHES IN FRONT OF THE TOILET.

3. Popcorn ceilings - WELL, THIS ONE'S HARD FOR ME. I HAVE THEM, HAVE ALWAYS HAD THEM, AND DEFENDED THEM FOR MANY YEARS (WHAT CJO SAID), BUT THE LONGER I HAVE THEM, THE MORE I WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE THEM.

4. Animal-head trophies as wall art - NEVER

5. Mosquito netting as bed canopy - I DON'T SEE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS, IN THE RIGHT SETTING.

6. Plastic furniture covers - YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT?

7. Wall-to-wall carpet - WHY IS THAT EVEN ON THIS LIST?

8. Curtains that don't close - DITTO #7. THERE ARE MANY STYLES OF WINDOW COVERINGS, AND CURTAINS THAT CLOSE ARE ONLY ONE OF MANY.

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I won't go into the whole list but will chime in on the popcorn ceilings: NO WAY, SMOOTH CEILINGS FOR ME. THE TEXTURE CEILING IS A DUST TRAP.

It's strange, because in the last 8 years most of the new homes built here all have smooth ceilings. We're looking for a new home in the Houston area and the ceilings seem to all be textured. It's faster and cheaper to spray I guess, but to me smooth looks much more finished and Much easier to paint.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Can we make up our own?
5.the chair and a half
6.macrame

hahaha i remember those toilet paper dolls. My aunt used to make them with the crochet dresses!!

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Based on the photo MSN provided in their slide show, I think the "curtains that don't close" refer to scarves draped haphazardly across windows, or panels permanently attached to either side of a window. I personally don't find them offensive, especially if you have a great view.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting what is "worst decorating ideas". At the time, most seemed to be a good decorating solution . . . the carpet, for example and those curtains that don't close and the popcorn ceilings (I would put textured walls right up there with the ceilings BTW!) But I think I like Charles D's list the best!!!!

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Good thread!

OH one BAD selling feature at any time:
"HIDES THE DIRT"! Why would anyone want to 'hide' dirt or dog hair? I like to 'see' the dirt to REMOVE it! LOL

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Good thread!

OH one BAD selling feature at any time:
"HIDES THE DIRT"! Why would anyone want to 'hide' dirt or dog hair? I like to 'see' the dirt to REMOVE it! LOL

I AGREE Mary Ruth. I want the dirt and hair GONE. lol

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CJO, hurrah for you for speaking out against the grain.

There is nothing listed there that does not look good if done right in the right place.

Can you image the list 30 years from now. Stainless steel for every appliance, granite on countertops. Hard to maintain wood floors even in the kitchen, dark cabinets. Etc, etc.

Posts: 6718 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
metwo, I am trying, but I can't think of the right place for plastic covers on furniture!Smile

Posts: 3233 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or no place for plastic on lampshades either.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay! So there are a couple things even I have trouble defending. Smile But such lists are really just a put down of things the person writing does not like. The fact that some people agree with it does not mean making the list is any less a disagreeable.

Cat trees are such a terrible thing? Tell that to people that like cats. Kewpie dolls? Since when is it wrong to make people smile ( and if it doesn't make you smile, fine but you shouldn't say it is terrible. ) You have a smooth ceiling, I can find a flaw in it. So it goes on and on. Lists of terrible things are by themselves terrible things.

Posts: 6718 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I am thinking Anette forgot one of the absolutely worst decorating ideas of all time.

The idea was the completely carpeted bathroom.

It was in the home of Jane Mansfield. Pink carpet on the floors. Pink carpet on the walls. Pink carpet on the ceiling.

I don't think the completely carpeted bathroom was a bad idea just because I don't like it. It was a bad idea because of things like hair and mildew.

Posts: 7074 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Carpeted bathroom....Ewwwww!!!!!

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Okay! So there are a couple things even I have trouble defending. Smile But such lists are really just a put down of things the person writing does not like. The fact that some people agree with it does not mean making the list is any less a disagreeable.

Lists of terrible things are by themselves terrible things.

I agree altho some of these decorating 'ideas' were either never a good idea or are definitely past their prime. Articles such as this are often written by someone who benefits by wanting people to renovate, throw out their old stuff, and buy new. It's mostly about consumerism.

My opinions on some of these ideas:

1. Matching color toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles - I don't think that matching color toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles are always a bad idea altho I'm not sure how many different colors are still made. I think a well coordinated bath with colors can be very nice despite the trend to neutral everything. I'm almost sure the current trend of designer colored sinks (have a look at Jonathan Adler's colored sinks for Kohler) and very uniquely styled bowl sinks will not have the longevity of a matched set of fixtures. http://www.us.kohler.com/us/KO...tent/CNT14600001.htm

5. Mosquito netting as bed canopy - IMO mosquito netting as a bed canopy is a good idea only in tropical climates or for tweens and young teens! It's not usually a good 'grown-up' look. Just my opinion.

7. Wall-to-wall carpet - We've had carpet replaced in many houses we bought and sold and it's never impacted a sale to my knowledge altho most of these houses were less than $250K in value, not high end. One house even had wall to wall carpet in the ensuite. Ugh! Probably was a deal breaker for others who had viewed the house so we bought it for a bargain price. It was enough to turn my stomach but DH removed the carpet and underlay, I washed the plywood with a strong bleach solution, DH sealed the floor with paint, and we had sheet vinyl applied. Sold the house a year later for a good profit after doing several such fixes and a lot of cleaning and painting. Wall to wall carpet IMO will always be a valid flooring choice in certain situations other than bathrooms.

8. Curtains that don't close - This is an odd one as there are many really nice, high end WT's featuring side panels that don't close. Don't see what's wrong with that.

I expect most of us can agree that the original cellophane coverings on lampshades should be removed after purchase altho not everyone does that. However I was happy someone didn't as I bought a very good quality lampshade at a yard sale complete with dust covered cellophane wrap. I removed the cellophane and had a great inexpensive and clean shade.

I'll continue to think and suggest that everyone ignore the trends and opinions of others and decorate for their own pleasure and satisfaction. Decorating our homes should be fun and creative, not just another 'follow-the-leader' activity. Probably many of the current popular ideas many of us like and use will be on someone's 'bad decorating idea' list in the future.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12581 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL...that carpeted bath is horrid, maybe it was cool in the 60's.

About the plastic furniture covers, my MIL is almost 90 and suffers from incontinence, I'm glad she has the plastic covers.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
8. Curtains that don't close: DO YOU MEAN DECORATIVE PANELS OF FABRIC? MAYBE SOME CAN'T AFFORD 'DRAW DRAPES'

So glad you said this. I haven't seen traverse rods and curtains MADE for traverse rods in years. I am actively looking and am apparently looking in all the wrong places. As is my Aunt. We are BOTH trying to find.

WHERE????

And while it certainly wouldn't be considered the worst trend by others, it is a a terrible look in my opinion--PUDDLED drapes and drapes that BREAK at the floor.

To my eye, they have always just looked like a mismeasured drape.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Being experienced with four adult males in my house, carpet has NO PLACE in the bathroom (other than a bath mat when you get out of the shower), on the floor, seat or otherwise Yuck

I came back to edit to say that my situation is not everyone else's, so if you want a rug, then by all means have one. They do add some coziness to an otherwise cold floor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WWanda,

Wanda

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oh, come on folks. Seriously now, Anette's picks for worst decorating ideas of all time just do not compare to Jane Mansfield's COMPLETELY FLOOR TO CEILING PINK CARPETED BATHROOM! (With the gold tiled heart shaped tub no less.) And they don't compare to the JFK salt and pepper shakers.

What are REALLY the worst decorating ideas of all time?

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
...Anette's picks for worst decorating ideas of all time...

Just thought I should mention, these weren't my picks, they came from a slide show on MSN's site.
My list would have started with the 3" shag carpet that had to be raked several times a day to keep it from matting. It was far too long for a vacuum to do much good. Gosh, that stuff was nasty!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Interesting read!

I had some work in a house (new construction large, high ceilings, large tall windows and lots of sq footage) in South Florida at one time, this is in late 1990's. The clients had an ALL WHITE house outside AND all walls inside, ALL white surrounding hard decks, pool and patio fixtures. ALL WHITE marble on floors (with pale grays for tile mosaic inserts... we were not allowed to walk on...) AND blinding white finish in the pool (in the bright So Florida sun). AND... 4" high SHAG carpet in the master (very large) suite! They had a maid that kept the rakes in a small closet outside of the room, her job was to rake it each time they had walked in and used the bedroom!!!!!!!! It was GORGEOUS and WHITE! YES ALL WHITE! It was very expensive, thick and looked like a soft layer of snow... Part of our work was in the master closet, so there was a protective cover for us to walk on in and out of the room while huge WHITE Master closet was being installed, BUT I was allowed to walk on the shag in my special booties they provided for me, they had a soft sole and were like thick lambswool type material... SOFT and cozy...I had to check each room's built-ins and closets regularly so I had to be careful (when changing to walking on the slippery smooth shiny floors).

I was so HAPPY when that job was DONE... I swear I HAD SNOW-BLINDNESS when I left! The reflections off everything was awful, I kept my sunglasses on even indoors!

To me that was BAD decorating... Not reflective (pun) of actual human EYES reaction to all that glare. The couple was in their 80's so I am sure they loved all the brightness...! But the rest of us were suffering with strained eyes when we left.

Since this was a seasonal home, I never saw it furnished, someone who saw it said it was sparsely furnished still after a year. They did not end up using that house much till I stopped hearing of what became of it.

Talk about a HARD resell! Really, I mean you could not even stand near the swimming pool it was like a huge search light reflection when the noon sun hit the water!

So, after I wrote all that... I LOVE SHAG CARPET when it costs over $100,000, is real deep AND comes with a maid holding a rake! LOL

Forgot to mention, they had a slew of small WHITE hairy dogs! After all, they needed something for the maids to do! I told the designer of the house, we were joking, to tell the owners to let the dog's hair grow to the floor and they could be the ones catching the dust bunnies! LOL

AT least I had the experience... and enjoyed seeing something so unique to my own experiences of being inside custom homes... Really helped me to be reminded of possible glare in a project. I mean that was an EXTREME case of one flaw (glare) gone wild!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
This one's for you Charles.

and Cocok, I totally agree. I don't want to list any more "bad decorating" ideas, in case someone here has it in their home. To each his own, ya know?

Wanda

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Wanda!
Everyone I knew in Nova Scotia had craft items in their homes and this 'doll' tp cover was one of them! Why?

Because the women got together and did crafts all winter including quilts to sell at the church bazaar to make money. This was an 'affordable' item for the sale. And when you showed this off in your bathroom, it meant you contributed to the charity drive. Funny when I think back now. LOTs and lots of knitted sock type slippers were made and sold (cold winters there...in Nova Scotia). I had a few pairs myself!

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
WWanda, love your TP doll.

To me, crafty things help make a home cozy.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have another bad decorating idea.
when I was married 35 years ago, my husbands grandmother gave be a "fun little gift"she had made herself. It was a teeny tiny apron. As I opened the gift and held it aloft, I could not imagine what it was used for. It was an apron for my dishwashing liquid bottle. "Isn't it cute!" she exclaimed?

I thought his grandmother was cute. I thought it was adorable that she would make aprons for dishwashing liquid bottles. I actually used the apron for a little while in honor of her efforts. But no, I did not think my dishwashing liquid bottle needed an apron.

And Anette - sorry I thought they were your picks. Thanks for sharing the article and starting the conversation.

I in no way want to make fun of things that people might have in their own homes, or make anyone feel bad because of anything I have said in this thread. I do think, however, that there are some really BAD decorating ideas and pictures out there.

Anyone remember the trading spaces bathroom with fake flowers glued all over the walls? Or the straw walls? BAD IDEAS. Bad because they were impractical, non user friendly, and ridiculous.

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:

Anyone remember the trading spaces bathroom with fake flowers glued all over the walls? Or the straw walls? BAD IDEAS. Bad because they were impractical, non user friendly, and ridiculous.

Oh my gosh, I'd completely forgotten about those Trading Spaces disasters! Now that I think about it, that show could inspire volumes of "worst decorating ideas."

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Aw c'mon! You didn't like Hildy's straw walls! the fact that they'd scratch your skin off as you walked by shouldn't be a deterrent to a fashionable home decorating idea!

Wanda

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cocok:
I have another bad decorating idea.
when I was married 35 years ago, my husbands grandmother gave be a "fun little gift"she had made herself. It was a teeny tiny apron. As I opened the gift and held it aloft, I could not imagine what it was used for. It was an apron for my dishwashing liquid bottle. "Isn't it cute!" she exclaimed?

Oh Cocok-LOL-I was given one of those and one Christmas I decided to make some for my girlfriends because I thought what a "cute" idea....one of my friends just looked at me and said....hmmmm, I haven't played with Barbies for years, what is this for??? We still laugh over that!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess is a matter of taste and how it has evolved.
Wall to wall carpeting, it was seen as a savior. why,? remember the wood floors, they scratched, they needed to be waxed, etc. they were a pain. Now they are back, good if you don't have little children or big dogs. otherwise no way, that I would have wood floors agaun. have big dogs and I hate scratches.
Pop corn ceiling, I guess we are are forgetting as to why they were done. I have been told that it had to do with acoustics. So I guess that they had a reason to be there.
The rest is a matter of taste and how you like your home to be.

Posts: 4898 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
LOL - I still recommend to young people starting out with bad hand me downs that paint or even a bright glossy shade will do more for it than any other thing. Make do with what you have!

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
rker321,
I remember the old wood flooring too, they used to wax them for a finish. And, they would get real dirty looking when the dirt embedded into the old wax. We were supposed to keep up the stripping of the wax then rewax... people lost that 'laborious' task.

With NEW products coming out all the time, it made it easier to care for wood floors, coat with Poly and then wash it. So, hardwood became popular again, less care if treated gently.

We usually see a 'trend' in finishes because a new product or technology comes to the point where something hard to do or too much labor involved... suddenly becomes easier. Then scouring the thrift stores holds a new approach to some old worn pieces, giving them the option to be reborn and freshened up.

LibraDesignEye,
I agree Smile

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Carpeted bathroom....Ewwwww!!!!!

I agree, & that pink bathroom looks tacky, cheap & if the tub was round, it would look like it was in a brothel.

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
Woman I knew had her 20yr.old wedding picture
[wedding gown etc] on the wall over the fireplace, in the livingroom!

Cannot remember words I used but convinced her to move it.

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I moved into my now DH house,he never married before. Black toilet and sink. DD said great, I'll never know if I have blood in my stool. Funny back then.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Watched a house reno show last week where the homeowner said that he didn't want granite counters as he felt we'd all look back in 10 years and wonder why in the world we ever thought having patterned countertops was a good choice.

As much as I love the granite in the kitchen, a small part of me thinks he's probably right. It'll be viewed a few years from now the same as we currently view foil wallpaper, popcorn ceilings, and "harvest gold" appliances.

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My listwould include:Starburst mirrors over fireplaces, beds etc., "home-made artwork", really distressed furniture or kitchen cabinets, vanity lighting with 5 or 6 bare bulbs, ready-made frames containing pics of entire families, wooden balls, corbeils, finials etc.used as accessories,moose or deer heads real or fake and the worst...60's furniture recycled...most of it was tacky to begin with.

Posts: 734 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone list wall to wall carpeting in the Kitchen? YUCK

Posts: 1125 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
About the plastic furniture covers, my MIL is almost 90 and suffers from incontinence, I'm glad she has the plastic covers.

If any on here are fans of "Everybody loves Raymond" there is a very funny episode about plastic sofa covers.

As I write this a deer head is reposing on my porch awaiting transport to DD's log cabin. IMHO it is a thing of beauty (obviously in HO too!)
I imagine we each have our own ideas of what is "good" or "bad" taste. A lot of things that are currently popular are not to my liking at all.

Luckily most of us here are confident enough to do our own thing.

Posts: 12133 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Luckily most of us here are confident enough to do our own thing.

AMEN to that! We all do NOT have the same budgets either! LOL