Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help me decide! pics...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide! pics... Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm working on sprucing up the front of the house. I am not done regarding the mums and pumpkins - picking up some more today to finish up. What I need advice on is which seating set to put in this front area. I'm also looking to do something with the concrete - probably skim coat and stain or do a stamped style.

The choices are....

#1 Bistro set - I would get some colorful cushions and place some mums around it, or something to liven it up.

#2 Patio table & chairs. Again, I would get some colorful pillows for the chairs and add some flowers/mums. Undecided as to whether I should pick up an umbrella as well. We probably would never use it and we get high winds here and others we have had have been destroyed.

#3 Two chairs. I like the contrast of these, but they really don't fill up the space much. I could move that tree that's between them and place a table with flowers or something.

Not sure how to arrange all this with flowers, etc. Let me know what you think! I've also attached a picture of my front door (not done with that yet - getting some bigger pumpkins!). Just FYI - it was overcast today so everything looks a little dark.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: christyinco,

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#1 Bistro Table Set - would probably take up as much space as the chair set.

posted Hide Post
#2 patio table & chairs - yes, I know about the garbage cans... they will move once the decks are stained Smile

posted Hide Post
#3 Chair Set

posted Hide Post
Front Door

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the other options placed on the concrete to get a better visual especially re. scale tho I suspect all will appear quite small for this large span of soon to be stained concrete (btw, like the idea of staining it).

I like the wicker chairs the best because they are heftier in appearance than the iron options. I do feel you need more pieces tho. Perhaps using table no. 2 between them would help w/ the grouping. BTW, I love how the red pillows echo the door color and brick and compliment the home's facade color. If you use the table, perhaps you can spray it the same red as the door. This will also visually enlarge the grouping and provide much needed contrast. Then, place a good sized lantern atop it or, if too risky due to wind conditions, a hefty pot with mum.

Adding a wicker bench w/ coffee table in keeping w/ the set you already have will create another conversational grouping. After adding more furniture pieces, then decide where and how to group some seasonal florals and additional accessories. Grouping things and elevating some will provide more visual punch. Other possible elements for Fall you might include in the groupings are:

dried corn stalks
bales of hay (risers)
a painted wagon w/ pumpkins/gourds
sunflowers
bittersweet
straw flowers
dried branches like curly willow or cattails
Indian corn bunches
baskets/fruit crates (which can serve as vessels or risers)
a grouping of lanterns in varied shapes/scales
ornamental cabbages
dried grasses

Place the potted trees flanking the front door but to the side of the brick vs. in front of it unless they're too short on the lower level in which case they can be incorporated along w/ the potted flowers under the light fixtures. This will enlarge the entry and add some greenery and height there and/or add contrast and texture.

TIP: take a drive to one or more local garden centers. They'll no doubt provide inspirational display ideas for Fall.

Posts: 18410 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of painting a table. I do have a smaller table that could fit between the wicker chairs - same style as bistro table, just smaller, that I could paint the red.

What do you think of painting the little bench next to the door? If so, what color? I'm going to pick up a new door mat also - the one I have looks tired. I also like the idea of corn stalks for height around the door. I actually don't have enough room on the stairs for the potted trees and the mums. I was going to move the trees to the garage area to flank that and place a mum or two next to them.

BTW - how do people attach corn stalks to their house?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Tomato cages can keep the form of the husks and then use dark wire to afix to the light fixtures to keep them from blowing off the stoop.

I thought of another addition to the seating area as I was running an errand moments ago (see...my brainstorming never quits Wink) and that is to add a fire pit to an additional grouping (perhaps the bench I suggested previously). This addition may breath new life in the cooler months to a space that doesn't previously get much use. Think hot cocoa or cider and toasting marshmallows.

Re. the bench by the door, a golden yellow might pop against the brick nicely.

Posts: 18410 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JNikki
posted Hide Post
I too like the wicker chairs and really like Froo Froo's idea of adding the table or a firepit and the seasonal accents. Will the chairs be exposed to the rain, etc? Will that be a problem?

Posts: 614 | Registered: Mar 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture with the patio table. I really have to work with what I have... we may be moving (putting in an offer on another house this weekend) and need to really choose where we put the money. I still have two back decks to deal with. The fire pit is an option, but not a sofa or adding to the existing lawn furniture at this point. It would work best to have this patio table up front, so maybe just need to add a little to make it work. I don't want to overwhelm the area either - keeping it pleasing and welcoming, but not crowded. I would be doing different things if I didn't think we were putting this on the market. I also will be doing something with the landscaping on the stairs leading up to the door and addressing the concrete.

I did pick up some gold paint to do the bench. I like the idea of the corn stalk somewhere, but can't find any right now or larger pumpkins - craziness!

posted Hide Post
Another view - sorry for the dark picture - sun was behind house.

posted Hide Post
Garage on other side of house.

posted Hide Post
My final pics.... I like it! That green mum on the bottom will bloom red or purple something!

Only question - should I put the other potted tree on the other side of entrance way or leave it near the garage? Another option is to move the existing potted tree over behind the chair grouping instead.

posted Hide Post
Front Door

posted Hide Post
Close up of seating area

posted Hide Post
Close up of door area

posted Hide Post
Other side of door

posted Hide Post
Your fall scenes look very nice. Saw you mention selling your home somewhere on the boards. If you intended to stage your doorway and front patio area for sale, then I would do things a little differently, if this were my home.

I would place two skinny, narrow evergreens (e.g. topiaries) on either side of the door. Then, I would place a smaller flower pot on a slightly larger table (only 1 table, not 2, BTW) inbetween the two chairs. I would remove everything else, including all of the other flowers and plants, the small table by the door, extra table inbetween the chairs and other fall paraphernalia, including the items placed on the lawn.

It's fine to leave your fall wreath (IMHO) as long as you remember to change it out when the season changes. For example, I would replace it with an evergreen wreath immediately after Thanksgiving. This option, using only 1 small flower pot and the 2 evergreens, should simplify your ongoing maintenance during the sale season.

Sorry for the alternative opinion but I believe buyers would be distracted by the various items. The purpose, IMHO, s/b to direct everyone to the front door and highlight your home. Sometimes, a simple approach works best. (In fact, if you don't care to invest in the two narrow evergreens, you could also show your home with only the wreath and smaller flower pot on the table.) Instead of maintaining the flowers during the sale period, I would address your landscape and other curb appeal issues.

If you're interested in other staging tips, you could also post in the RE section. Sending positive thoughts for your future listing and sale/move. Again, it's all JMHO.

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wicker Paradise
posted Hide Post
I love the wicker chairs and ottoman setup. Looks great from the far away picture.

Have to agree with blueday's approach regarding placement and keeping potential buyers focus.

Best of Luck to you!

Mark
Wicker Paradise

Posts: 2 | Location: New Rochelle, New York | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
It almost looks like you could add the wicker and the table? (Bistro size maybe?) For a front area I would decide what you would use most. Smile Could you build a stone wall around the concrete patio?

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post