Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  your favorite/most proud of, project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your favorite/most proud of, project Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
In all your decorating experience what is the thing you are most proud of: conceptualizing, or realizing (whether your idea or not)?

Did you paint it? sew it? construct it? build it? design it? get someone to do it for you? Do it yourself but get someone else's advice?

No matter how clever we are individually, if we live in a domicile of our own, we have had to express some creativity, some decision making, something that says US or is it WE? Or even I?

Posts: 12580 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll go first. There are many projects that I have been proud of, and I'm hoping the one I will be MOST proud of will be my "forever house" which is still in the planning stages. But for now, for what's already been done, it would be my furniture refinishing. I started refinishing about 30 years ago, and have learned along the way. One piece I really love is this armoire. (two photos)

Before:

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After:

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Oh, Nitalynn! That's just beautiful! You did a fantastic job!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Now that armoire was definitely a labor of love. Very handsome piece.

As for me and my fellow DIYER, DH, we have tackled many successful projects inside and outside of our houses over the years. Far too many (plus I dislike boasting Wink) to list. That is not to say, we goofed or exercised overkill from time to time, but we grew from each challenging experience. If I had to pick just one, it would have to be the many hardwood flooring instillations we tackled. I have to say, the prep work alone was a bear, but the finished project always professional.

Posts: 18670 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I designed the total gut job and reno of my bathroom and a fairly major renovation of my kitchen. And I love both!

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Bought a three-piece, huge, wall covering entertainment center that was unfinished. I sanded for hours on end, then used a gel stain on parts and wood stain on the rest. I worked on it for many weeks as it was tiring. It turned out better than I would have ever imagined. We ended up selling it with that house.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I have the same story, a wardrobe! I have a few other pieces but this one I stripped, sanded and refinished all by myself. It was sprayed with a dark finish at the top and bottom feathering into the center. I took all that old factory finish off, then sanded to reveal the Maple veneer beneath being careful not to sand too much of it off. Then we put it back together (shown in my office in our Virginia house). Love this piece, it was from Goodwill as part of a bedroom set, and the manager broke up the set to let me buy this piece (after waiting 4 months for the price to come down hoping it would still be there).

This wardrobe unit was fitted with shelving inside by my DH and now holds ALL my Xmas decorations for our Florida home.

wardrobe

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I remember that wardrobe, Mary Ruth! It did turn out beautiful.

Froo and sms - very impressive accomplishments. CJO, I would have loved to see that entertainment center.

(Thanks, Bella and Froo.)

posted Hide Post
If you can CJO and Froo and Sm let us see pics of your projects!

Nita lynn and Mary Ruth, your armoires are spectacular!

We have done a lot of projects in our house over the many years we have lived here.

But the most satisfying was fixing up the attic as sleeping quarters for the grandkids,

We put that cheap beadboard paneling up on the hip roof rafters and I'm here to tell you that was one B of a job, with no nail gun etc. Rafters like rocks and the stuff itself not too user friendly and as you are balancing them over your head!

Plus the rafters in those days were not evenly spaced, could be 14" could be 20"! We had to use battens over the seams and it was my job to paint the edges!

We did this 10 years ago when the house was 98 years old. Of course the floors etc had never been painted or washed. The already existing room up there that did have original beadboard had never been painted. Those were my jobs and a dirtier messier job I would not want to do again.

It was all so worth while though as the kids were thrilled and still love their special places in our home.

posted Hide Post
This is the original tongue and groove wall that defines the front bedroom.

Staircase painted green and white. Floors all green. Walls all white.

posted Hide Post
LoS, I've already posted TOO many pics of my kitchen and bathroom over the past couple of years! Smile

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
i don't have pics...apart from ratemyspace from years ago. In the house we just sold, I took a fleur de lis stamp and stamped the walls...eyeballing. I took joint compound and raised, molded, textured every stamp with a c-tip full of spackle. Went back over with the solid color...then with a copper pen high lighted gingerly. Stunning....at least for me! It was my New Orleans Bathroom. I used a copper pipe for my shower curtain rod, found a fleur towel rack. Slate from actual roofing that had prints from the quarter. I'll miss that bath. I think it's still in my RMS under garraway65.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I would have to say the couch - simply because it was such a big project!

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun thread LOS!

The inspiration

posted Hide Post
and the end result

posted Hide Post
Awesome job, Emily! That couldn't have been easy!

Also awesome job, junk collector! And I LOVE the inspiration pic; it has many of the elements that I'm dreaming of in my next house.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I love attics with tongue and groove paneling! Came out nice, lol, even with MODERN houses, the beams and studs do NOT come out even!
Love that view iv the wall around the stairs!

rubyruby,
What a lot of work doing that stamping and adding joint compound! I am sure you admired those walls for a long time!

junk collector,
I remember this project, and HOW BEAUTIFUL IT CAME OUT!!! GORGEOUS!!! I am sure you are receiving lots of compliments on it!

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
My favorite most proud of project did not produce anything pretty. Over the forty some years we have lived in this house, floor squeeks developed in the hallway. If during the night anyone went down the hallway to use the bathroom or get a drink, it woke everyone.

When I was sanding countersinking nails, cauking, priming and painting the baseboards, I hired a handyman to come secure the floor so it would stop squeeking. He sunk enough screws to sink a ship and didn't even dull the squeek. Finally, I cut the carpet that we were going to replace anyway, removed the carpet tack strip and began cutting shims and driving them between the wall baseplate and the floor. It stabilized the floor and stopped the squeek and saved my sanity.

Posts: 1633 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LoS, I've already posted TOO many pics of my kitchen and bathroom over the past couple of years!

But I don't remember seeing them. And I do remember Junk Collectors sofa, but would not without the picture.

I for one, love to see pics of others projects, furnishings, homes. Never can tell when what someone has done will be just exactly what you need to know at this point in time!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I agree GOOD projects are not BORING at all to see again and again! Smile

busyjo
When we bought our new home in Virginia, it had been the model home for the development for a few years, then when we bought it, it was into its 3rd year after construction, and the floor and upstairs was FULL of squeaks!

When we were moving in, we got a few of my husband's friends (in the building industry) to come over and help, and got RID of all squeaks in the house! The builder (DH worked for) helped us with a small To Do list while we were moving, so the house 'felt and looked' brand new when we were finished moving in! That is ONE annoying thing about a house I do not like, is squeaky staircases either. I lived with that for years in old houses, but in this new house, it just didn't sound right! LOL So that was our FIRST project in that house, and it made everything else gravy!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I designed this built-in bookcase/storage unit and DH and I built it last year. Before that is has to be the great room. The builder built the shell and we finished the inside.

We made the table too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
zone9alady... from zone9bme! lol

I remember your reveal of this room! What a lot of space to fill and to make so useful! I can just picture the family all there for a gathering with food, laughter and enjoying themselves in this colorful and family friendly space! And ROOM to have everyone together in a space that is not confining and room to move around!
Kudos to your DH who does the work you design so lovingly for your home!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Mary Ruth. We have just about designed and built everything in this house. DH can pretty much build anything but I have to say it's not easy being the apprentice/quality control sometimes. I'm getting too old to help him lift large materials.

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I HEAR YOU! Not easy! But it takes the two kinds of minds to make a GOOD TEAM! I know one of my strong points is to 'recover' after a change has been somehow made during the process! I have to change the direction of a plan sometimes even in the middle of a project!

Picture attached of our dining room in Virginia house... overhead molding at the top of the wall cabinets and the legs of the base units had to be changed because of 'height' measurement mistakes! LOL but turned out OK, I had to come up with the leg system under the cabinet to avoid too tall of toe kicks! I like this way better than original design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

dining room Va house

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I scraped 7 layers of painted over wallpaper from the original horsehair plaster in my little guy's room.

We primed and painted then I did these murals.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1559 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
another view

I did the drawings using an old fashioned overhead projector, coloring book pictures and a lot of my own imagination. I did the same for his siter's room, with different pictures.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathy_in_wlsv,

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1559 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth I have laughed at my misspelling of squeak in my original post. Glad you were able to get rid of yours too. I have so enjoyed seeing all of your projects that I've decided to share one that I amy have shared before. This is a rolling kitchen trash can cart that I made from a kitchen cabinet that was removed when our dishwasher was installed. I cut the cabinet down to a shallow depth and the trash can glides that can be bought to go under regular cabinets wouldn't work so I had to build a drawer and shorten some drawer glides. I decided somewhere during this project that I wanted this to roll in case I needed extra counter space over in the cooking area. I put wheels on the bottom and covered them up with a "surround." This is a picture of the project when it was about half finished. I was able to do this after being inspired by many wonderful female poster on this board.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: busyjo,

Posts: 1633 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Kathy, What a sweet mural! How wonderful to have been able to do that, GREAT child's room walls!
I love your colors too! Thanks for sharing those photos with us!

busyjo,
didn't notice the squeak.. sp!!

Love that idea with the cabinet! You were so clever and love that you did all that customizing to make the cabinet the size and purpose you wanted it for! WOW! GREAT JOB!

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth
Thanks. I just worked on it when DH was playing golf. It serves its purposes in my modest kitchen.
I know you have moved on but I still morn that Virginia house....Love what you two did for it. Zone loved that storage unit. I so appreciate refinished furniture. It is a labor of love. Kathy guess I was typing and missed your murals. So sweet. Years from now your children will remember their rooms decorated with love.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks BusyJo, it's was a much needed space saver!

Mary Ruth, I love that last photo of your cabinets. The design of the legs at the bottom is surely one of a kind. That's what I like about designing for oneself, originality!

I have to show DH that ceiling design, it's beautiful. Never saw that before either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth and Zone lady, thank you for posting again pics of some of my favorite members photos!

ZL did not know you had designed and built this bookcase and table. I love that table and wish that I had the family to sit around such a table.

Kathy that is a wonderful mural! You have been keeping your artistic talents hidden from us!

Junk Collector, I forgot to say how much I love that sofa!

Busy Jo you are a woman of real talent! I could design such a thing but could not build it (don't like power tools) That is really a neat solution to a universal problem! (enough counter space and counter space!)

We are winding (why do I say we? it is DH) down the work on sea chest.

Could not find a heart shaped escutcheon at our wonderful architectural/salvage company so stopped at hardware store and DH fashioned this:

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lady,

Lots of great projects here from the posters with very nice results. I've done a few refinishing projects that have been fun over the years.

I think my current re-do of our den is going to be one that makes me smile. It's time to return to the blue and nautical side of life as that is who we are. A lifetime of boating and fishing memories and we are happy.

It started with a wall color that my DH and I saw one day in an office and has evolved from there. It struck both of us at the same time. He ususually has no cares about the wall color for our rooms. For right now, it's in the "concept stage" and a few items have been decided but hopefully it will be done soon. Great thread!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
LOS please make sure to post pictures of the sea chest when your DH finishes it. I have had this inspiration picture of a sailor's chest on my computer for a long time. I have my son's wooden toy chest with rope handles in the storage room. I want to convert it to a chest like this. Ours will say "Spirit of New Smyrna."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: busyjo,

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
There are some great projects here!

Over the years DH and I did many successful projects as we used to buy 'fixer' houses and reno them. We did 5 houses to varying degrees and it was a great way to build equity. I'm proud of many of the things we did. In two houses we completely finished the unfinished basements to make them very livable. I designed and DH executed altho my job in all those unloved houses was always to strip wallpaper! One reason I have not used it much.

For the smaller projects and since the advent of the internet I doubt I've ever had a completely original idea altho have also rarely follow directions explicitly. I've made many things and also given instructions to DH to make things.

Some of my favorites I've posted previously but will show a few of our T2T projects. Nothing overly fancy or difficult but I've always found it fun to turn trash to treasure.

This is one of 48 glass garden totems I made. I sold a lot of them. This one is a birdbath.

This is an old picture frame DH made into a wall cabinet for me from my directions after seeing them on the net.

This is a chalkboard made out of the top of an old sideboard and a headboard made from old shutters.

DH made this grill from pieces of an old rusty dilapidated wrought iron fence piece. I'd have used it in it's rusty broken state but love that he made it better.

I've also made and sold shell mirror frames, sewn various home decor, and done many home decor craft projects.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12723 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the wall shelf unit, JL! But had not seen the chalkboard from the sideboard! That is a clever idea!

Do you have to bring the birdbath in in the winter?

How do you get the many images on one post? Is it a special program on your computer?

posted Hide Post
this is my second most proud of project.

We bought this sofa for $25 at a yard sale. The fabric was ripped, so it needed to be recovered. We had very little to spend on this project so I bought the fabric at the wonderful 5 & 10 store we used to have nearby. It cost 78¢ a yard and was very thin. So I channel quilted (by machine) all the fabric before I cut it out.

I had never made any kind of a slip cover, so between the quilting and the cutting (with wings no less) I considered this a job to be proud of!

Oh, also since I was doing the quilting I changed the design on the ends of the arms and on the two loose pillows. This I did in a diamond (2 different sizes) pattern.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
How do you get the many images on one post? Is it a special program on your computer?

I just put the pics in my Photobucket album, then cut and paste the IMG to my post here. One can add as many IMG's as one wishes in one post.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12723 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
joyluck,
thanks for the photobucket suggestion. When we were having issues with the changes here and somethings got messed up, at that time I couldn't get photobucket photos to post... glad to hear it works again!!!