Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need help with Living Room layout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with Living Room layout Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,

First home, it's a 1940 house in San Francisco and I am having trouble figuring out the layout for the living room, I was planning to put TV stand on the short wall next to fireplace and sofa-bed on the long wall opposite the window. But my brothers insist we will not want to have our heads turned to watch TV. That sofa should be in front of TV. So I am trying to figure out an alternative layout.

I see in a similar neighbors house they put the couch against the window and the TV on opposite wall. Although it maximizes space I would like to avoid blocking the window, having the back of couch on window and also because it's noisy outside. Another idea is to leave TV on short wall next to fireplace and put the couch in front of it, perpendicular to window but I am afraid would make the space very small.

You can follow this link to pictures on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g398gsy76fibr4s/5nw1R7ca9x

I really need some ideas, hopefully you can help. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your neighbors that the best wall for a sofa seems to be the window wall with the television opposite. Invest in good draperies with a nice thick felt inner layer to help dampen the noise from outside. They will also help keep the room warmer in winter.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard for me to see that fireplace wall, which seems to be a short little space of its own.
If that is true, there is no fast and hard rule that one must put sofas, etc. against walls. It seems like an alternative (if you have the necessary room to do it) could be to put the TV over your fireplace and put the sofa in the middle of the room facing the fireplace. That way you will have a conversation area as well as be able to view the TV without any glare from windows etc.
As I say, it is a plan if you have the necessary room to do it.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
It's hard for me to see that fireplace wall, which seems to be a short little space of its own.

I meant the wall to the side of fireplace. It's almost 7ft long.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
Idea 1

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
idea 2

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with what the others have suggested. But wanted to add, welcome to the board and to the bay area. I am just north of the GGB. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post