Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backsplash Sign In/Join 
posted
Just finishing my kitchen. Countertops are Cambria Bradshaw. Cabinets are Maple/Cinnamon with a glaze. Wood floors, stainless steel apliances. Want a mosaic design behind range but want to do glass subway tiles behind the rest. Can't decide on color of subway tile. The Cappucino color looks good but do you think it is too much like the cabinets and that I should go lighter?

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of what we are thinking of putting behind the range/under the hood

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
JMO, but I'd pick a lighter color, maybe match a lighter beige to the grout you're using on the subway tile.

I love what you've chosen so far. You do know that we need more pictures right? Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto!

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you have different textures, I find it interesting to keep the colours the same. If that is the glass tile you are considering, I think it would look very nice with your counters and the mosaic you have pictured. Your walls are already light, so the tile will either blend with the cabinets or the walls, unless you select something really dark (which I wouldn't recommend.)

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will definitely put the finished product. So you don't think I should go lighter on the subway tile? All websites I look at the subway tile is alot lighter so I was worried that this was not enough contract. I like it but just wanted other opinions Smile

posted Hide Post
The glass tile is such a good match. I think it is a wonderful choice.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your help. Appreciate the feedback. We have to get it ordered so hopefully I will get pictures posted in a few weeks.

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
That will look beautiful, the mosaic tile is lovely with your counter tops.

Regarding the subway tile, maybe just pick up a sample of a lighter version and try it, but I think what you have will blend very well.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Ooooh I have been going over that for last year...and you know what? I have seen BOTH tile lighter and matching cupboards....I want to paint my cupboards SW Creamy White....then assumed I would just get white subway to go along....looked at dozens of kitchen pics....well it came down to the kitchen that inspired me the most, I realized it used the same color in tiles as cupboards and that was it...I fell in love with THAT kitchen and when I showed others the tiles with my paint swatches? Everyone picked the biscuit creamy one that matched exactly....because it is a different finish it just blends seamlessly imho.

I like your choices! Quite pretty! Go with your heart not because others do it differently!!! Big Grin

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7302 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Have you considered running the mosaic along the countertop in a strip? They both look awesome with the counter. I like the sparkle and depth glass provides...like eye candy while you cook! Big Grin

Last month my gf and I went to tile store and it was so funny, we spent lots of time looking for a tile she could consider for her backsplash. Then when we were about ready to check out samples, there it was, on a mocked up kitchen...the funny thing was my gf had a teeny little granite sample with her...and LOL the mockup had same exact granite....and the backsplash they used? Was one we rejected, but once up? It was PERFECT....hands down the hunt was over and she finally took her DH to see it all done at the store to sell him on it. How fun. Cool

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Consider too that you are intentionally looking at pics for backsplash....and the lighter tiles are used often but it makes the backsplash stick out to the eye instead of directly complimenting the larger picture...does that make sense? I think its better to match or have more diverse contrast than being in the range of just a bit lighter.

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I am doing a tile backsplash, too. I taped up my various pattern thoughts, took pictures and then looked. I found it made my vision a lot clearer because i could see the big picture and how the backsplash would relate to the cabinets, windows, etc....I even put some of the things back on the counter so that I could see how it all related together...

Good luck w/ your process!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
See how cute is that!!! Thanks for the idea of taping up...GreenAlice has lots of that extra sticky 3M removeable squares....AND great example of the mosaic tile running through....cute cute cute cute cute!!!!Cool

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
And I think for your kitchen the white tile is enough contrast to the cupboards to tie in the white appliances et al....

posted Hide Post
Becca's kitchen is very pretty. However, her cabinets and appliances are not the same color as Gutzy's, so the back splash would look totally different in the context of Gutzy's kitchen.

Go with your instincts. You have a nice combination of glass tile and granite. Please post pictures when it is done.

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments. My point was that taping the tiles up and being able to take pictures and stand back and look at it from a distance gave me a different perspective than laying it out on the floor or looking at just a few pieces.

Have fun and yes - don't forget to share pictures!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greenalice, any pictures? I would love to see yours!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oooh Gutzy it's still in my head and being gathered together to wait in line behind two other projects....Big Grin You see I am not as gutzy...haha. This is my inspiration kitchen though...I have the faucet same paint colors and counter to be used, got my knobs and backsplash tile....and a similar light over table...but see how she matched the tile to the cuboard hue? Not sure if it shows in this pic...

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Nope it didn't I will find my better pic...oops I think it's a photograph someone else took....will look but here is rest of kitchen I dream of....

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/20...2/19/kitchen5_lg.jpg

Well that's best I can do is link up to the larger pic from HGTV....but think it shows what I mean! Smile

posted Hide Post
We finished our kitchen. I love the way everything turned out. Once the backsplash was done it really tied things together. Here is how it turned out.

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Very nice kitchen. I hope you enjoy cooking because it would be a real pleasure to cook in such a fantastic setting.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the nice compliment. I do love working in it!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I love how your kitchen turned out. You did a very nice job, I love it Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It's just beautiful. Love the size of your kitchen too, very roomy Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, it is beautiful! Love the subway tiles they are probably my favorite style, size of tile.

I like the gray choices in the tiles, how they relate but are different!

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The picture of the tile behind the range is really off in that picture (just noticed) it is not gray at all....all browns.