Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Hall bath finally finished...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hall bath finally finished... Sign In/Join 
posted
You've probably forgotten all about it by now, since it took almost six months! Our little budget re-do of our upstairs hall bath is finished! DH and I did most of the work ourselves (paid to have the walls/ceiling textured and the lighting and floor installed). This was not a gut; just cosmetic. The toilet was replaced a couple of years ago and we kept the tub, vanity top, and cabinetry, which DH had refinished and built new doors for a few years back. We did tear out the plate glass mirror and replaced it with a framed mirror we made. I had found the mirror on craigslist a few years ago for $10 and saved it for this bath, but the frame molding ended up costing more than just buying a framed mirror I think!

You can read more and see more pics on these two previous threads:

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...953948897#7953948897

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...183913208#3183913208

Overall I'm pretty pleased!

Here's a "before"

Four "afters" to come.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Posts: 4104 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 1

Posts: 4104 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 2

posted Hide Post
After 3

posted Hide Post
After 4

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Very NICE..worth the wait huh? Crisp and classic..love the shower curtain and room scheme. The only thing I would personally tweak is to redirect the above the mirror light downward...perhaps that's just me (?), but I find I can apply makeup better that way. It may not be an issue in your case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18711 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I did not forget! Came out wonderful, fresh and current. Pat yourselves for a great update! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 9789 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It looks fabulous!!!! Very clean and classy!! Wow!

Posts: 3205 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ladies! Froo, I debated the light direction, but went with the uplight as I prefer the look, and this bath gets almost no use. There's also an overhead light.

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Wow how classy was the very thought I had when I saw the pictures. I know how happy you must be to be finished and to have gotten such a great updated look for your efforts. Thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 1635 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn is that one of your daughter's drawings? Or maybe a famous nude? Anyway I love its simplicity and the whole space. Serene and calm and with the shower curtain to give it a punch of pizzaz!

Posts: 12849 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE all the adjectives y'all are using (yes, I'm a Texan...). Those are exactly the adjectives I strive for Wink

Emily - funny you should ask! It's actually a signed and numbered print by Ty Wilson, who has quite a few of these type drawings. But when I first found it, I not only didn't want to pay $100 for it (I ended up getting it for 30% off, but still...), but also I wanted it larger, to better fill that frame which I already had. So I asked both my DDs, who are both talented, if they thought they could reproduce it larger. DD2 (the architecture major) immediately said no. But DD1 (the fine arts major in painting) said "sure, I can do that." We debated the ethics, but I said if it was not for resale, just for me, I didn't see a problem. So I bought her two mat boards to work on, in case she messed one up. And then waited...and waited...and waited...well, long story shorter, I guess she just really didn't want to do that, so I finally gave up and ordered the print and used the two mat boards to mat it!

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
I just love everything about the room.
It's fresh, modern, tasteful and stunning-the transformation was worth the wait! Changing out the mirror and the beautiful wall color made such a difference.
The fact you and your DH did most of the work must make you feel very proud.
I love the story behind the print and your ingenious way to make it work.
Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, annielinz! I love your taste and your house; appreciate the nice words.

posted Hide Post
Very classy bath. I personally adore the framed mirror. You did a fantastic job of putting it all together.

Posts: 3140 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think it's a smashing bathroom and I love the artwork!

Martha

Posts: 6122 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
too much beautiful!!!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5590 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
As we native New Yorkers say, "Gawgeous, just gawgeous."

Nita, what is that awesome paint color?

Posts: 5323 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you all so much! Your approval really does mean a lot to me Wink

aychi - the paint is SW Sandy Ridge. I used it in our other upstairs bath as well, which has black & white toile fabric, so I decided to keep it consistent.

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Well done. Very nice! Smile

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! I love the color of the wood you have. Enjoy your new transformation.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice update. I like the understated, elegant look you chose.

Posts: 1965 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY perfect!! Love it.

Posts: 9635 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Really really pretty. The mirror looks wonderful, love the shower curtain as well Smile

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and your dh did a very nice job on the bath. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6319 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you - wow! I'm pleased with the bath, but all the nice comments sure are the icing on the cake! (also DH was pleased to hear that it was getting good reviews Wink )

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Well, it turned out nicely didn't it? I really like the shower curtain. I think I have the same faucet and toilet LOL

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Wanda! Both Kohler - I'm sure we both share the same great taste Wink

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Love; looks like a high-end hotel en-suite!

Posts: 2888 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa, CJO - that's some compliment Wink

posted Hide Post
Nitalynn - your bath is very elegant! The nude is beautiful - a real focal point in your bathroom.

Cyndi

Posts: 4085 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Oldhouse/Cyndi! Focal point was what I had in mind, since the bath is windowless with that big blank wall. I'm glad you approve Smile

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Love it!

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post