Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Painting a Friends Armoire for DGD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a Friends Armoire for DGD Sign In/Join 
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted
My gf had an old oak armoire that she wanted to paint for her DGD, but no idea what to do with it. She asked me for help, and we picked the paint colors and then I told her my ideas for painting it.
It had great bones and is almost finished but not quite.

I have a few more pix to follow.
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We painted a message inside for her DGD.

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some lavender scallops down the side.

posted Hide Post
Every other drawer got a colored oval with a matching crystal drawer pull from Michael's.

The door is not yet attached as she is spraying everything with a satin finish, but once done with that, it will all get put together.
She in inviting me over when she has her daughter and DGD come to see/get it.
Her daughter is excited to see it, but didn't want to see it until it was done, so it will be a surprise for her. The DGD is 2, so probably won't be too impressed yet, LOL

TTFN,
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
That is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen. Love it.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
OH HOW SWEET! what a wonderful job you did for a little princess!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did a very nice job on that. Thanks for sharing. Let us know the reaction of mother and daughter.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6166 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It is adorable and amazing all rolled in to one!

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an amazing job you did Christmas Candy. Your GF is so fortunate to have you as her friend.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That is really sweet and what a treasure. I hope she passes it down to her own daughter someday.

Beautiful work CC!

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody.
We had so much fun working on it! She knew she wanted to paint it, but didn't have any idea what to do as far as the design.
I showed her some decorating book pictures and she would select what she liked and didn't like.
Based on what she liked, we then brainstormed how to paint her piece using the features that existed on it already.

She liked the pink checkerboard idea and the bottom drawer and sides of the piece were separated by thin pieces of trim, so that defined that area for the checkerboard.
Then I suggested the green stripes on the trim pieces and she liked that.

Since the door had the oval mirror, I suggested the ovals on the drawers to echo that shape, but keep the alternate drawers with the checkerboard to keep that design moving throughout the piece.

It was truly a work that evolved as we went and a couple of things we tried (eg: small black checkerboard on the top trim)we didn't like and so painted over it until we had a design that she loved.

She could do the shape painting, but had me do all the floral/ribbon/vine painting.

It was so much fun working together, I am kind of sad to see it completed, LOL
She did mention that her other DGD's may want a piece by Grandma, so we may have more painting in the future. Smile

Thanks again for the compliments.
Candy

Picture of benchwarmer
posted Hide Post
just wanted to say you have such a gift for creativity. wonderful transformation and paint job perfection. i always enjoy seeing your work.

Posts: 4580 | Location: alabama | Registered: Aug 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So cute for a little girls room. I just love it!! Awesome job!!!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teewa
posted Hide Post
You are so talented! It's simply beautiful!

Posts: 526 | Location: Canada | Registered: Mar 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
So pretty! I agree, you are very talented and always enjoy your projects.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Totally Adorable! Great inspiration that you painted on that piece.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely the sweetest piece of furniture for a little girl. The perfect match-up of charm and practicality. Well done!

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post