Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest Project Sign In/Join 
posted
I am trying to reconcile my formal antique Empire furniture into our (new to us) contemporary condo.I have begun to incorporate mid century neo classic pieces to bridge the design gap. I found a low early 60's record cabinet on Ebay. It was too low and in an unattractive greenish walnut veneer, but I loved the urns with the eternal flame (very Empire, I thought). Just sanded and primed so far.

I'm painting it a cool marble white and built a base to raise it utilizing some thrift shopped legs also from the 60's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1784 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the base. The fluted legs came off a $45. cocktail table from the 60's and the rest is flat stock poplar I bought at H.D. It should be done in about a week, if it stops raining!

Posts: 1784 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks good Charles! But why do you think this was a record cabinet instead of a buffet?

I remember that a record cabinet of this size would also have had the turntable also inside under a lift top.

What ever it's history it is a great piece and a good addition to your new decor.

Posts: 12695 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
My my...that will become one gorgeous showpiece. Looking forward to the finished product.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOVE your solution with apron and legs! I do like your color choice. This will be a great height and more a more useful scale.

I also love the eternal flame and urns! What a GREAT FIND and a GREAT DEAL!!!

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see it finished! Smile

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9749 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love, love, LOVE IT!!!

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
That's a great project. I can't wait to see it finished and incorporated into your décor. It's going to be fabulous!

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
All I can say is "wow"!

Martha

Posts: 5991 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That is going to be lovely!

Posts: 3288 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in total awe and envy of people like you who have such fine talent and creativity.
Will there be a glass insert in the cocktail table?
Please be sure to show the finished product.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
I am in total awe and envy of people like you who have such fine talent and creativity.
Will there be a glass insert in the cocktail table?
Please be sure to show the finished product.

Hi arepo. The cabinet was only 28 inches high with its original legs. It will eventually sit behind a "counter height" table so I wanted it to be taller so you could see it. The base isn't a cocktail table, but I did repurpose four legs from a vintage cocktail table to help me raise the cabinet.It turned out they were more interesting and less expensive than buying premade new legs. The frame attatched to the legs I made from plain hardwood I bought at Home Depot.When the cabinet is done it will be 40 inches high, perched on slender but sturdy legs. I got the idea from looking at expensive Italian liquor cabinets from the 1940's on www.1stdibs.com

posted Hide Post
Fabulous!!!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Love it, especially against those gorgeous charcoal walls!

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post