Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  current color combinations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

current color combinations Sign In/Join 
posted
I keep thinking about the discontinued wallpapers for my powder room. One is described as light teal and has brown birds. The other is a brown with blue birds. Is the fact that these papers are discontinued a sign that blue/brown color schemes are now OUT???

IF so, what are the new color combinations. I kind of thought that GREEN was coming back and the deep seafoam greens of the 80's would be everywhere. Instead looking at wallpaper books (which I absolutely DETEST doing) it seems that I see nothing but grassy or kelly greens of the 70's.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Pantone is the leading authority on color trends so if you are interested have a look at what they predict.

Emerald *was* the color of the year for 2013.

http://www.pantone.com

While I find color trends interesting I would never choose a trendy color for my decor unless I loved it and was willing to keep it for a very long time. I would never change my decor frequently just to be "on trend" which incidentally is a phrase I detest.

Yes, I think blue and brown has been around long enough to no longer be considered in style. I think it's at least 8 years since it became trendy.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree that Pantone is "the" resource for color trend, but it does take a while to filter down to the marketplace.
Teal blues, Tiffany blues, aquas with browns, taupes, and beiges have been around in home decor for a good solid six years already, longer in the trendy markets.These days the Lily Pulitzer Palm Beach style has been the hot thing. It started maybe two, three years ago and is in full stride now. Classic Chinoiserie indigo and white mixed with super brights like coral, kiwi, lipstick, etc. are what we are seeing in fabrics. Also Dorothy Draper anything esp. her emerald, black and white combo.

Certain fabic, lamp, and furniture trends are leaning toward a late 50's/early 60's Parisian look with chalk pink,black, and mint together.

Also punk rock comes to interiors with Jean Paul Gaultier doing a line of fabrics for Old World Weavers including sheers that look like 1940's sailor tattoo art! Neutrals will always be a staple of American decorating, but the Europeans seem to like color.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1790 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D,

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Posts: 9789 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neutrals will always be a staple of American decorating

But even those change over the course of several years. First golden beige, then taupe, then warmer golden beige again and back to taupe and grey. It is enough to make one's head spin if we wish to keep current. As far as your search for wallpaper Lu, are you most interested in those colours or is the pattern you like? And if so, keep in mind the bird motif has been around for a while too. I would not discourage you from using what you like but you should realize that if you are at the tail end of a trend it may be more difficult to find what you want. My suggestion would be to look through more wallpaper books and keep an open mind. If something speaks to you, check availability immediately. The store should be able to ascertain how much stock is available before you place your order.

Good luck!

Posts: 533 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
These days the Lily Pulitzer Palm Beach style has been the hot thing. It started maybe two, three years ago and is in full stride now.

Many, many years ago a friend who eventually worked with as a decorator had a mentor in the decorating field and he always used such a look and colors. So she did too when she started working as a decorator.

To me it looked decidedly out of place here in Maine for a year round look.

Posts: 12849 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Love, Lu:
I keep thinking about the discontinued wallpapers for my powder room. One is described as light teal and has brown birds. The other is a brown with blue birds. Is the fact that these papers are discontinued a sign that blue/brown color schemes are now OUT???

IF so, what are the new color combinations. I kind of thought that GREEN was coming back and the deep seafoam greens of the 80's would be everywhere. Instead looking at wallpaper books (which I absolutely DETEST doing) it seems that I see nothing but grassy or kelly greens of the 70's.

Discontinued wallpaper is more apt to be in outdated color combinations. The bigger problem will be finding things to go with the wallpaper, as current products are manufactured in current colors.

But, Love,Lu, just pick what you like. If you see some wallpaper, and there is enough if it, and it makes your heart go pitter patter, then use it!

Posts: 7216 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have written before that I will find colors I like but not the design for wallpaper AND fabric. OR I will find a design I like but not the colors.

What I don't understand is why when colors from past decades are used, they don't revive the fabulous designs from those decades also.

Probably the major problem is that I DETEST shopping. I have an unusual tile floor in the powder room that I would like to keep so the paper has to have some brown in it. I've looked at wallpaper books until I'm cross-eyed. Hope the woman from the wallpaper store can come up with something absolutely thrilling because I haven't found anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Love, Lu,

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Love, Lu:

Hi,

Wallpapers became trendy nowadays, it would enhance the room look & will be comparable with the " room theme"...Have a look at curtainsandcurtains.com for great collections..!!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post