Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  How would you decorate this fireplace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you decorate this fireplace? Sign In/Join 
posted
Looking for inspiration! We've moved in and am now looking to the fireplace.

Thanks!

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
are you using it? it's quite a statement for sure...larger items than small...like i found a lenox vase once at costco that is 3 ft tall..have you any art work? remember, the brown paper trick..use it as a guide before putting anything up

do you plan on a furniture arrangement facing it? and do you have to have drapes or do you have enough privacy to go without?

you're so lucky! we moved from so ca with a fp, to mi and a house with NONE!

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
What a great space! For sure something large, like a huge clock, or a very rustic piece. I've always liked this from pottery barn, and hey its on sale.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
annielinz,
LOVE that example!

You know decorating your fireplace mantel and around the fireplace DEPENDS on how you are going to decorate the rest of your house to suit YOU and your family!

Choose your style and colors (that respects the house and its design) and have a PLAN before you start changing anything... Smile

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I found an inspiration photo in RMS, Holidays, Woodland Themed Room.

Based on the photo of your room, I thought you might like something with a nature/rustic vibe.

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love the lattice piece.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the lattice piece too. Have you seen the lattice that's more rounded and has a round mirror in it? I saw it today at Pottery Barn and it is gorgeous - but HUGE!

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
christy, this one?

This would be perfect for your space, reflects light and the shape would counter balance all the angles.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Much depends on your style of decor tho this is definitely a rustic space with it's natural elements. I feel that scale is of upmost importance and color against the neutral stone will help call attention to this grand focal point. I also feel that there's a generous hearth in which to carry the color downward via a potted plant (keep safety and care in mind when there's a fire though}.

The idea of a round shape is definitely a wise one, since there are no curves present in this area, but even though I personally love the lattice pieces offered as suggestions, they are void of color. This could be remedied via paint however if you're inclined to go with one or the other. Other options are:

a colorful tapestry
a framed map
metal wall sculpture such as birds on a branch
a plaque
a lg. sign
a lg. wreath
a lg. mirror (note what it's reflecting)
a wall sconce
a mounted weather vane
a lg. painting or print
a quilt
tinwork/metalwork such as a tree form or lg. metal tile w/ texture
a lg. round clock
a model boat on a floating ledge
a deer head (there are whimsical versions that are fun)

The above are simply suggestions, but factor in your decor, room scheme and the feel you seek.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
The model boat example:

s

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to load that fireplace up with "decorations"?
Maybe something on the 2 sides where there is a shelf designated for them but I would never touch the middle with anything whatsoever and take away that beautiful view of the stone.
Less is sometimes more.
But I guess that's just me.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
arepo has a point. If you agree, consider something decorative that is open such as grillwork, open lattice, cut work, a lazer cut piece of metal or wood as in a wall sculpture, a filigree piece of art, an "airy" clock. The stonework will be minimally concealed.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
What a great space! For sure something large, like a huge clock, or a very rustic piece. I've always liked this from pottery barn, and hey its on sale.

It is too busy for that FP, & color is wrong.
Agree that what goes up should be large. One large thing, not overloaded with stuff. MAYBE
a colorful tapestry.

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I agree with keeping colorful items on the built in side shelves and an huge iron artwork in the middle.To see the beautiful stone too.I see a big basket of greenry on one side at the bottom and some large candles to the other side.
What a fireplace to decorate.It can be over whelming some but oh what fun you get to have too.At Christmas too.Smile

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fireplace itself makes quite a statement. I would strongly recommend you get everything else in place including window coverings and furniture first. I'm not so sure you need anything up there. The large pond boat is about the only thing suggested that isn't too busy for the stone. Grillwork would be just another pattern on top of an already patterned wall.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Like SusanBradfordKent, I would leave dealing with decorating the fireplace for later in the design process.

I would suggest keeping the woodbox filled at all times.

Having a proper fireplace screen or glass fitted.

Some better lighting to rake over the stone.

Including some photos off of Google to show that stone fireplaces look very good, and sometimes best, with little adornment.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The modal boat looks very attractive at fireplace. The brownish color of this model boat gives very decent affects.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smith23,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post