Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  My kitchen re-do...NEW COUNTERS ARE IN
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My kitchen re-do...NEW COUNTERS ARE IN Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wow! I love seeing the progression of photos. This is going to be a wonderful transformation! Can't wait to see more!

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
What an exhausting journey kitchen projects are...but it's moving right along and looking amazing!!!

Posts: 1966 | Location: Somewhere In the Middle | Registered: Nov 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I just walked upstairs - and I have finished w/ all of the painting....finally....Been working on it since the middle of January. Tomorrow I'll put the doors back on and then it's getting the project cleaned up while waiting the next 2 weeks til the counters are put in.

I'll post a picture tomorrow when i get the doors put back on.

After the counters go in - then it'll be tiling the backsplash. A new floor is planned for the summer.

This has been a long time coming.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Pat yourself on the back girl-you've done a lot of work!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
Pat yourself on the back girl-you've done a lot of work!

Amazing transformation! You must be THRILLED!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I got the doors back on....The far left on is being used to haul around to check for tile and flooring....It'll eventually go back up.

I am soooo amazed at the difference - I would have never thought!! Thanks to my mom for strongly suggesting to paint the cabinets, i wasn't going to at first...

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meldin
posted Hide Post
What an amazing transformation! I know that you did a crazy amount of work to get here. It's going to be worth every sore muscle when it's all finished, if it isn't already. You must smile every time you walk into your bright new space!

Posts: 2745 | Registered: Jul 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
2 weeks from tomorrow the counters will be put in.

I will then do a tile backsplash. Will probably go out next weekend to pick up some samples to audition out after the counters get put in.

Then order some crown moulding for the ceiling and then over the summer the goal is to put in a new floor.

i'm really pleased!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Wow! I love it like it is...honestly. I know when you finish, it will contribute to a quick sale. Just terrific!!!

Posts: 1615 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Looks so pretty...love the cabinets/knobs!

Wouldn't you know it...kitties have to be the absolute center of everything, don't they??? Wink

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Love following your progress.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wowza! great job...

Posts: 466 | Location: mountains of nh | Registered: Aug 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
Did the snow put a damper on your countertop installation? Can't wait to see them.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for remembering....Yes, the snow put the project off til yesterday. I was frustrated because the snow really wasn't that bad (3-4 inches) and ALL 4 of their installers called off. Roll Eyes

They came yesterday, and other than bringing the wrong sink, it went down w/out a hitch. I'm tiling now and that is a slow process...

reminder of the "before"

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
after

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
close up of the edge

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
my process thinking about the tiling....I'm putting the mosaic 2 rows up. i had to see what it would look like all put back together..

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
the other side - i really like the extra counter space - it just looks "finished" going around the corner thing....

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
partly tiled..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: out on a limb,

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
and closeup on the mosaic..

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I decided to make new curtains. There is a subtle difference, but that's ok...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I fell in love w/ curtains i had seen w/ ball fringe on Country Curtains and decided to make some. The fabric came from curtains that were clearanced at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
this was the view outside my front door on Monday - it was beautiful!! Those are my lilac bushes forming a canopy coming up the front steps from the street.

Thanks for taking an interest!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
Becca -- you must be so pleased. Hope you don't mind -- I merged a couple of your pics for comparison -- what a difference! Can't wait to see it when the sink and tiling are done.

PS I'm in NE OH -- woke up to snow AGAIN -- will it ever end?

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Thanks MyLife!!! I don't know how to do that!!!

My Mom and brother are up that way, too. Glad i'm not there anymore LOL!!! I really am sooo pleased w/ the lightness!! Nothing like new paint to really change things!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Becca what a difference!
The counters look great,lovin'the tile,the cabinents brighten the room, just wow!

Was it hard to adjust to seeing a lighter countertop?

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Looking good Smile I have those same mosaic tiles in my guest bathroom. I love all the colors in them.

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! night and day, love it. I didn't read all the posts and I'm sure you already said, but what are the new counters made of?

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Amazing changes. I've enjoyed seeing this come along.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Annie- It is weird seeing the lighter colors!! I've looked at the orange for 10 yrs. But, i'll adjust!! Big Grin

Always - it is Wilsonarts' Tuscan Limestone laminate. It's one of their high definition laminates. Several years ago I saw the ogee edge treatment on some laminates and actually had to go up and touch it because i thought the counter was granite. Decided then that someday I was going to do the same thing!

I'm trying to get the backsplash up today so that i can grout tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: out on a limb,

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That is an incredible transformation!!!! I can only imagine how happy you are!!!

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow, you have really put a lot of hard work into this transformation. It's like night and day! Your new kitchen looks great. I love the colors you chose and the tiles. Painting the cabinets made a big difference and the countertops are beautiful.

Great Job! Smile

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Looks great, you did a fantastic job. I love your black and white floor. After the redo, do you still have it?

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Wow what a difference. The room looks larger, brighter & very handsome! I know you love it!

Posts: 10348 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Becca,

Came back to check your updates. Counters look great. Your selections are a pleasing combo and such a pretty change in your kitchen.

Here is a shot of Power Boost for you as you near the finish line!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
B - what amazing work! Your woodwork is so classic and beautiful, the polyshades was brilliant and the cabinets look new! The love you put into your kitchen must wrap you up everytime you cook (or just visit the refrigerator!) Kudos!

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!! All of that hard work is really paying off!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I haven't finished the last few pictures because I'm still waiting for my sink!!! Roll Eyes Frown Red Face

The readers digest version is the guy forget to order the sink...Told me he ordered, but found out from someone else that he really hadn't ordered the sink, but the 2nd guy ordered it for me - but then found out the original sink ended up discontinued - which probably is a blessing since it got discontinued because of customer complaints on the finish.

Soooo....2 weeks later, Last Friday, I went in picked out another sink - really probably nicer than the first one and it should be in this week - Tues or Wed...

I've been without a kitchen sink for 2 weeks, all the dishes are about dirty and the dishwasher needs to be run terribly bad! LOL!!!

I finished making the last set of curtains for the kitchen today. Will take pictures tonite when it's dark so you don't get the glare from a dirty back porch...LOL!!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I finished my curtains today - and i like the airy type feeling - and the ball fringe!! Cool I had seen curtains on Country Curtains website w/ the ball fringe and kept coming back to them. But I made my own...

Behind the home of the someday sink...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I need some crown moulding - but that's going to be a summer project. I have too many things to do these last couple months of school.

Kitchen window that looks out on the back porch - ugly view, otherwise, i wouldn't have a tier curtain.

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
And no - I never considered the enamel top table in my color choices - but it sure does look like it! LOL!!

This is one area that is finished - cuz it doesn't require the sink!! LOL!!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Your kitchen is coming out so quaint and cozy! LOVE your color choices and you must be THRILLED to have your new kitchen!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
It's coming together so nice! And you did a great job on the curtains!

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benchwarmer
posted Hide Post
wow your kitchen looks amazing. great job and the curtains are wonderful. congrats!

Posts: 4580 | Location: alabama | Registered: Aug 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sitting here oohing and aahing over your new kitchen! Love the vintage elements you've incorporated throughout. And despite keeping the stained trim door and windows, which some might think would darken the room, your kitchen looks so much brighter and appealing now. Nicely done!

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Your new kitchen is beautiful! Smile

Posts: 874 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The transformation is amazing. You have done a top notch job... you have got to be pleased with the results too.
Are the lilacs blooming We talked about them in the past... it has been one heck of a winter... even here in Texas...
Thumbs up Becca!
Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an amazing transformation! Awesome job Smile

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Becky - the lilacs are getting there....i bet maybe by the end of the week. Spring is here!! I do have a peony getting ready to open in a couple days, too. It is kinda early, but i'll go enjoy the smell anyway!

I ordered some new vinyl for the floor and it is set to be installed probably next week.

Thanks for you guys who commented! I am totally loving it!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Wow - I didn't post pictures of my sink!! That was an ordeal - but glad it's in and beautiful!!

~~~becca~~~~