Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  My kitchen re-do...NEW COUNTERS ARE IN
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My kitchen re-do...NEW COUNTERS ARE IN Sign In/Join 
Picture of out on a limb
posted
All this sharing of kitchens has led me to show you the mess I'm up to my eyeballs in.

Ten years ago, I moved into my house w/ lovely orange counters. I found some wallpaper that went w/ the orange and made it all make sense....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: out on a limb,

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5537 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
When I moved in, there was even orange vinyl on the floor, too!! The walls were always so bumpy, and I really couldn't figure out why. Well - when I took the wallpaper down, I found out why!!! YIKES!!! Eek Eek

Oh yes - let's not forget the horrible textured ceiling...

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5537 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I had the ceiling re-done and it's much subdued...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
When I took the wallpaper down - no wonder things were such a mess!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
This is the worst wall...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
under the cabinets..

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
the last 2 days have been spent patching and priming...I still have to sand this wall, and will prime tomorrow..

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
under the cabinets.....

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Making progress. Thanks for letting us go along for the ride. Can't wait to see more pics. Keep em coming!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I'm going to paint the cabinets a lighter color, and the walls are going to be green.....ironically, not a whole lot different than the original green on the walls. LOL!!

I'm going to tile the backsplash and the counters will be laminate w/ an ogee type edge. New ceiling lights, new sink and new faucet will also be on my agenda. Oh yea - and hew hardware.

Install of the counters and sink will be March25. During the summer, I'm shooting for a new floor, too....

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
That's it for now Cara. Although, I'm hoping to get the walls painted and the wood work restained between tomorrow and Monday.

Painting of the cabinets will be after that. I will have the cabinets painted by the time the counters are installed end of March.

That stupid thing cld work slows progress down a lot!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
It's going to look great! Please keep sharing!

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sarah Ann
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a job, but it will be worth it when you are done. Can't wait to see! Smile

-----------------------
Grandmas my name & spoilins my game!
------------------------

Posts: 1911 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Feb 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bless your heart! Wouldn't it be fun if we could all come and help you! When I first joined here, I remember you talking about your orange counters. I am so excited for you!

Have you chosen a laminate yet? I installed a Wilson Art granite look-alike a few years ago, Deepstar Fossil, and love it. I have Flowering Herb green paint, so I am partial to green kitchens.

Can't wait to see your "reveal".

Tuesday

Posts: 648 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the complements....I'm sooo excited(& you can see where I started)!!! I have never done a project on this magnitude and while I wish i could gut the kitchen, the budget and the neighborhood doesn't allow it. But i'm still getting what I want.

Tuesday - the laminate is also Wilsonart - Tuscan Limestone. The counters will have an ogee edge. I wanted something w/ minimal pattern because I want it to last "forever" I placed it next to all the colors that I tend to like a potentially paint and it will go w/ all of my changing whims.

The counter guy is going to take the sink cut out and it is going to be turned into a microwave shelf for above the shelf.

The faucet is Delta Leland model - a pull down faucet w/ one handle. The stainless steel sink I'll get from the counter guys - it's a 60/40 split.

The knobs are from VanDykes - they're on the way. They're an ORB w/ copper accents.

I found 2 ceiling fixtures at a local lighting store. Those I'll put up soon. The ceiling fan is going away. I will get some crown moulding for the ceiling and over the summer I will put down a new floor.

After the counters are put down in March - I'll put in a tile backsplash. Can't really finalize the tile until i see the counters in place. But the ideas keep flowing!! LOL!!

Thanks for letting me share!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Wow this is inspiring. I remember how these kinds of posts gave me the courage to try some of the things I did. Hope some new female poster who is waiting for someone to make her home better is inspired to tackle the project herself. You can be so proud of all you have achieved.Please keep sharing.

Posts: 1615 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow you did a most of the hard work already! Things are looking good.
It's so rewarding when you do the work yourself, you know you're getting your moneys worth and it's done right.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so impressed with what you've done so far. So much work, but when completed will give kitchen a whole new look. Saying bye bye to those orange countertops has to be a good feeling. Can't wait to see your new kitchen.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
DD would absolutely loveeeee those orange counters!!!!!!!!

I had trivets like you have...gave them to her as she loves all the c.1950s stuff.

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Send her North CJO - She can get them on March 25! The trivets were my Grandma's.

Can't wait for the new counters!!

I'm staining the woodwork this afternoon and tomorrow i'm going to put the wall paint on..

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of Trudi
posted Hide Post
You make me want to do some of the things I've been putting off. Keep the pics coming.

Posts: 2042 | Location: N.C. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
This is so exciting! What a transformation, and you have done much of the work! I cannot wait to see more pictures!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, like the orange counters!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
You all can come and get these counters - March 25 is the day of the install, they'd be free!!! LOL!!!

Over the weekend, I got the wall by the sink finished - it's not smooth as a baby's butt, but it's as good as it's gonna get in this old house.

The green reminds me of split pea soup LOL!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
by the window...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
The wood trim in there is tired looking and it needed a freshening up, so i decided to use polyshades. I've never used it before, but I gotta say that I'm pleased.

It richened it up "just enough"

I have natural oak trim in the DR and LR, so didn't want a big difference - the wood in the kitchen is southern yellow pine, and probably was originally painted. Someone else stripped it, and i have no intention of painting it back!

This is the freshly stained window next to the au naturele door.

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
very nice.....keep the pictures coming Smile

j

Posts: 1673 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's lookin' good! Those old walls with eight million weird patches in drywall mud, concrete, and who knows what else all hidden under layers of wallpaper are exciting aren't they? (said with much sarcasm) Reminds me of the walls in the Peacock Parlor at our last place. Nothin' for it but to pretty much float the whole thing. The secret is knowing when to stop as the pursuit of perfection will drive ya nuts. Those smooth, gentle waves that remain when you're finished are part of its character. Looks like there may have been a window behind some of those cabinets at one time.

Your trim looks great! We had the same tired look to the trim, windows, and those massive pocket doors at our last place too. We did exactly what you did-PolyShades. We brushed a very thin coat of Olde Maple on the oak then finished it with clear. It did absolute wonders for the exterior doors that had been faux grained 100 yrs earlier to emulate oak. Two or three coats on those, but they turned out great. It's amazing what a small bit of color can do. The comparison between your window and door is awesome!

The ceiling looks WAY better. Will have to keep popping in more often to check on how things are going. Sound like your plan is going to be wonderful! Can't wait to see!

Christie

Posts: 3982 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
It's coming along very nicely. I don't envy you with all that wallpaper stripping! Been there, done that.

Keep the pics coming.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
How exciting! I love projects. Don't have any now so I will have to watch your progress! You will be so happy when it all comes together!

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Coming along nicely! And it is wonderful to see your excitement! You will LOVE your new space!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
Oh it is looking so good!! Love all the old wide trim..and I do like your "pea soup" wall color..Wink

Great job!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 922 | Location: Longing for the beach | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I like the green. It looks good with your wood trim and the polyshades sure did bring the wood trim back to life didnt it!!

Posts: 9427 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Looking great! Wow, the difference the poly made on the window trim is amazing!

Posts: 874 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
It's looking good! Did you say the Brady's want their counter tops back? (wink)

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Well Becky - the Brady's can come to Dayton and get their counters AND the wallpaper that's stuck in the corner that i can't get to.

Yesterday i got the room cleaned up and got the woodwork stained. Will put the 2nd coat of stain on there this morning and will put the rest back together - only to begin the painting of the cabinets.

I've gotta get some order back into the rest of the place before finishing up! LOL!! My knobs and pulls came from VanDykes this week - I can't wait to get them on!!!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
becca,
Exciting things happening at YOUR house! AWESOME!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
This weekend I worked a bit more....So, here we go...This picture of the clock is a great picture of the actual color of the walls.

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I started painting this one set of cabinets because it's not by the stuff, so it had the least amount of grease and grime on it....The can of paint i bought, I didn't like it. It was too yellow, and there ended up being zero contrast between the cabinet color and counter sample. Went back to lowes, and they tweaked it for me.

The cabinets - w/ the doors off

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I got the knobs from VanDykes and couldn't wait to try one out. I'm happy...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
the door after being painted - This is a bottom cabinet door...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
The cabinet door w/ the sample of laminate coming...

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
And my climber kitty - Lady Grace, has figured out that there are cool things to jump up on in the kitchen!!! She climbed up the ladder sitting next to the sink, and I found her sitting IN the sink. But she moved too fast and here she is climbing OUT of the kitchen sink!! LOL!!! Roll Eyes

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I am pretty happy to be painting the cabinets - esp after looking at the cabinets as they are. I do think something like PolyShades would have spiced them up - but I'm liking the paint so much better.

3 weeks from tomorrow the counters get installed. Cool

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
The progress you are making is awesome, I love the direction you are going. Those knobs are going to make the cabinets.

Your kitty reminds me of mine, and she is getting into everything also!!!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I am liking that paint so much better too! What a GREAT peek at what is to come! Thanks so much for sharing.

Can't wait to see your kitchen finished, I KNOW it will be so NICE! You are doing a great job with your choices! Smile

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Love your new color selections and the knobs too. Congrats on the progress. I admire your painting skills as cabinets are not easy.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9324 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I put the doors back on tonite. I like it!! The picture doesn't really show the wall color, but Oh well....

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
The drawers will have to wait til the weekend...

~~~becca~~~~