Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What do you think about this rug for my foyer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think about this rug for my foyer? Sign In/Join 
Picture of crayon
posted
I found this rug runner online, and I really like it. It's wool, and I hope it doesn't shed too bad. I would like to find something a little less expensive, but so far this is all I have found that I really like and I want something of quality when first entering the home. The color is Terra Cotta and Ivory. I know I will need a rug pad as well. The black table will be moved out of there.

Do you think the size is about right for my space? And do you like it for my space? The wall color there is SW Latte.

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I would personally prefer it a tad wider, but otherwise LOVE the color and pattern.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
My mockup was not really accurate, which I should have explained. The width of the rug is about 29 inches, and the width of the space is about 53 inches. That would mean there is about a foot on each side of the rug.

posted Hide Post
I assume you did a cut and paste with the rug image, and since your front door is at least 3' wide and the rug is 4.5' wide, it should be just fine. Is this the door your family uses on a daily basis? If so, you might consider a more heavily patterned rug with more colors to hide everyday soil like the one pictured. If that is too traditional for you, there are several websites that offer more modern styles. Try www.overstock.com, www.amazon.com and www.rugsgalore.com

Which rug are you buying, the 10.2'x4.5' or the 9'x2.5'?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cavin,

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Isn't the runner 2.5' wide?

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
It's pretty and I like it, but I have to agree that a more patterned rug in the high traffic area would make more sense. Also, be aware of the height of the rug so that the door opens easily and doesn't get stuck on the rug.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I like the first rug, the red, ties in the paint in the house, AND introduces color, so guests have a preview of what's to come.

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Cavin, it's the 9 x 2.5 rug. I don't see the other size you mentioned. I am wanting to go more contemporary/transitional and will keep looking for something that doesn't show the dirt so much.

Froo, yes, you are correct.

Wanda, thanks for the tip on the height of the rug. Didn't think about that.

Mary Ruth, thank you. I love the color, although I wonder if it looks in real life like it does on my monitor. I fear it may be lighter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would personally prefer it a tad wider, but otherwise LOVE the color and pattern.

I agree.

Crayon, Personally I would not like a rug pad with a runner. Too high. Cavin is right about wear in an entry way.

Posts: 13076 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
If my door width is 35 inches wide, I think I probably want a rug that is about that wide so people can step in on the rug when they enter the home. I have seen some rugs that are 3x10, but that would mean that just about the entire length of the floor would be covered by the rug.

Also, if I go much wider than 36 inches, I would be covering up a lot of the width of the floor, and do I want to cover that much?

A small rug at the door to wipe feet and then a runner may seem too choppy in that space. ?

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think the rug could work. There are many rugs out there, so for this particular rug I would ask myself these questions:

The fiber content/quality/practicality: Will this rug stand up to the wear for this location? Will the color/pattern show/hide the dirt that will be tracked in? Is the rug sturdy? Will it be non slip with the right pad?

Look: this rug has a young, modern, casual vibe. Is that the look you are going for?

Color: Does the color of the rug connect with the next room you will enter? Does the color/pattern of the rug give you a feel for what will be going on in the rest of the house?

Size: Does the rug cover enough of the floor? (I know the picture isn't to scale) The rug should cover "most "of the floor.

There are no right or wrong answers here. These are just questions that will help you evaluate the situation. The rug is really cute, and as long as it meets your design needs, then it will work.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Thanks, cocok. I will figure out the answer to these questions before I move forward. It probably makes sense to figure out the main rooms first. The rug in the foyer seemed like the easy part, but it probably is more like putting the cart before the horse.

Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I like the red one but think you may need one with more colors in it besides red and cream. Might be too plain?

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I love the rug! I love SW Latte....I am going to be using the color up SW Kilim Beige and guess what my accent is terra cotta in decor items! Smile Both colors were used in the 2004DH for HGTV.....with SW Creamy trim.....

Think it would be good to pickup the terra cotta somehow on the wall....something above the table?

This is my wool runner from PB...it was called Kilim Terra Cotta! Subtle hint of my subtle "lodge theme".... I got it on clearance have used it 2 yrs and no shedding! Is yours reversible? That is a good wear and tear feature.....I like the eco backing you can find at Homegoods and sometimes Marshalls for the padding...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7428 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
That is really pretty and I might have to get one. How heavily trafficked is your foyer? Cleaning a pricey rug is a concern around here.

Posts: 3475 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
They are both nice, but I like the first rug a lot more Smile

Posts: 4803 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Cavin, I just saw the rug you posted above. That one would definitely be more practical and hide the dirt more than the one I posted.

LOS, I had not thought about the rug pad being a problem because of height, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

kw2, I think a rug with more colors would probably look better too. I'm going to keep looking.

GreenAlice, the rug you posted is pretty. I see PB no longer carries it. Being reversible is a good feature, but the one I posted is not reversible.

junkcollector, there is not a lot of traffic through the foyer, but I should probably still make a little more practical choice I suppose.

lilsophie, thank you.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
If there isn't much foot traffic and you have a good door mat outside, then by all means get what you want! We do not use the foyer, so I would go for a show piece.

BTW - I've been meaning to ask what your floorboards are? Very pretty in all your pics!

Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I have SW K. Beige and Latte in my house and red is my main accent color. Funny!

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Froo, thank you for all your wonderful finds! I like quite a few of those. No. 1 is pretty, 2 makes quite a statement, and 3 is probably too long. I also like 4, 6, and 7. I just wish they would make the runners a little wider than they do.

junkcollector, I may do that. As far as my floors go, I don't know what the builder put in this home. I only know that it's a cherry stain on it. Thank you for commenting on them.

kw2, I love Kilim Beige, and I also love Latte. They both go great with red. They are so popular apparently because they are such great colors and go with so much.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Those SW paint colors popular....I think it is because Linda Woodrum has used them multiple times in Dream Homes for HGTV!!! Cool

posted Hide Post
Cherry! We will be doing floors at some point and that stain is lovely and warm!

Thanks!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Ooh thought I better place these on this thread to go above table.... Big Grin

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Is there room for a long peg rack of some sort or is it too narrow on other wall?

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
junk collector, I'm so glad you like my flooring, and I look forward to seeing yours when you complete it.

GreenAlice, I will need to go over to Home Depot and see what they look like. Thank you for posting them. I'm not sure that that table is staying. It's been there for quite a while and I don't know how I'm going to treat that space at this point. With that expansive wall, I may do nothing on the walls in that area. I know I need some additional lighting and a rug, but that's all I know right now.

I sure do appreciate all your help!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
LOL there was a link to making a gallery photo display for stairwells on the pottery barn site....just in case you needed more inspiration! Smile Well in the meantime if you are not wary of 3 nail holes those mirrors would look cute over the table....Smile.

Just had my guy out to estimate tile rip out and put in my entry and hearth....he has me going out to a stone/granite place tommorow to see if I like something for my fireplace surround...so I may start a new thread to get HELP myself! Wink

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
BTW I think those frames are black....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crayon:
I found this rug runner online, and I really like it. It's wool, and I hope it doesn't shed too bad. I would like to find something a little less expensive, but so far this is all I have found that I really like and I want something of quality when first entering the home. The color is Terra Cotta and Ivory. I know I will need a rug pad as well. The black table will be moved out of there.

Do you think the size is about right for my space? And do you like it for my space? The wall color there is SW Latte.

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

I feels that rug can be bit wider and you can have some whitish shaded rugs because that would go good with your wall colour.. You can find huge number of rugs in curtainsandcurtains.com..

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post