Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Sprucing up the Outside Entry - UPDATE!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprucing up the Outside Entry - UPDATE! Sign In/Join 
Picture of azul99
posted
Hello All,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I read here routinely. I hope you can help me with my current decorating dilemma.

We recently had our front patio/walk area re-done in this flagstone. The previous front walk, done with slate, was crumbling and sinking and just looking tired. The stonemason who did the work was terrific and the overall effect is exactly what we wanted.

So now, I'm making plans to spruce up the area. Our house is a 1950's rambler and I plan to keep the paint color (blue/grey) when we eventually repaint.

I would like to replace the house number, door mat, and light fixture (over the door); paint the front door; and put some new planters near the door.

Questions:
1. What color would you paint the front (wooden) door? The storm door is a brick-red (as you can see).

2. What style/kind of house number would you choose?

3. Ditto welcome mat - style, color? The front step is curved, and I don't think we can get a mat to wrap around it, so rectangular will have to do, I imagine.

4. RE planters, we have two terra-cotta color planters (they are plastic but look like terra-cotta), which I'm thinking may look dull against the muted flagstone. I am thinking about spray-painting them oil-rubbed bronze. Is that crazy? Or is there another color you would consider? Or should I scrap them and buy some wooden or faux-wooden planters?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Photos to follow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: azul99,

Posts: 833 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
View 2 - you can see the new flagstone patio/walk area well here. The stonemason used caulking (to allow for shifting) rather than cement where the path connects to the patio, but I'm calling him today to re-do it with cement because it looks all wrong.

Posts: 833 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
View 3 (sorry View 2 is so big!):

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Hi Azul!

It is fun to see you back posting! Still love all your ideas. Is this the same home?

I'm not good at outside decor, just wanted to say hi!

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
Hi Azul!

It is fun to see you back posting! Still love all your ideas. Is this the same home?

I'm not good at outside decor, just wanted to say hi!

Hi Annie! ~waves~ Nice to see you too!

Yes, the same home - we have lived here for 13 years! No plans to move anytime soon.

Looking at that first photo, I see we need to straighten that lamp post. I think it is drunk!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i can't quite tell is your door solid wood? the bummer is how much weather does it take? i might resand lightly and restain/varnish and leave "natural"...you could use a stain with a touch of red to complement the briok...as much as i love painted doors they can be a huge upkeep...(and ours is on a covered porch)

and i know they're totally useless, lol but i love a garden bench to the left as you face the house...actually we have one and i'm forever sitting stuff down to unlock the door...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
want to add i'd do the numbers in a more traditional style (still black for easy read) and add this overhead light i found...

http://www.wayfair.com/Westing...yK8LYCFck-MgodehUAVw

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
i can't quite tell is your door solid wood? the bummer is how much weather does it take? i might resand lightly and restain/varnish and leave "natural"...you could use a stain with a touch of red to complement the briok...as much as i love painted doors they can be a huge upkeep...(and ours is on a covered porch)

and i know they're totally useless, lol but i love a garden bench to the left as you face the house...actually we have one and i'm forever sitting stuff down to unlock the door...

Thank you! The door is wooden, very solid, but desperately in need of either refinishing or painting. It does not take any weather because we have a storm door, but I think that it must have taken some weather at some point in the past because the varnish is so battered.

You might be right about refinishing rather than painting. Thank you; I had not thought of that!

I agree about a bench - we are also thinking about a couple of chairs and a little side table. Although we have a screened-in porch, sometimes it is nice to sit outside and watch the world go by. Smile

The front of the house does get significant sun, especially in the morning and early afternoon. We have a brick-red canvas market-style umbrella, left over from a previous house (patio) - I'm thinking about including that in a seating arrangement. Would that look odd? The patio is big enough that it would not hit the front of the house, or block any light to the room to the left of the door.

Thanks again!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
by all means put the umbrella up..and if it seems crowded, take it down...or use in the summer and store in the winter...

the reason i suggested refinishing, was from an older program with the "furniture guys" show...the door they redid got full brunt of certain storms, but with marine varnish, it was awesome! you have such a lovely cottage-y traditonal home...

do you do costco? they have some oversized vase-type planters, and with red flowers?? might be fun?? or use one for the umbrella, with flowers...

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your home is very attractive! I love the look! I agree with others regarding the door. I think I would restrain it rather than add a third color to the mix.

Perhaps your door "mat" could be something more decorative as well as functional. There are many different types out there. It seems that it should be much larger. I use an oval braided rug, but they come in many different varieties, most are weather resistant.

You have a great area for some seating and larger pots of flowers. Do you have TJMaxx or Home Goods near you? They usually have very nice pots....all sizes and gret prices.

I also agree that your house numbers should be more traditional. I do not have any examples to show.

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
by all means put the umbrella up..and if it seems crowded, take it down...or use in the summer and store in the winter...

the reason i suggested refinishing, was from an older program with the "furniture guys" show...the door they redid got full brunt of certain storms, but with marine varnish, it was awesome! you have such a lovely cottage-y traditonal home...

do you do costco? they have some oversized vase-type planters, and with red flowers?? might be fun?? or use one for the umbrella, with flowers...

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right about refinishing the door.

We do have a Costco membership - I will take a look at their planters; thank you! DH and I are taking a day off together later in the week to buy plants and look at mats, light fixtures, etc.

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Your home is very attractive! I love the look! I agree with others regarding the door. I think I would restrain it rather than add a third color to the mix.

Perhaps your door "mat" could be something more decorative as well as functional. There are many different types out there. It seems that it should be much larger. I use an oval braided rug, but they come in many different varieties, most are weather resistant.

You have a great area for some seating and larger pots of flowers. Do you have TJMaxx or Home Goods near you? They usually have very nice pots....all sizes and gret prices.

I also agree that your house numbers should be more traditional. I do not have any examples to show.

I had not thought about TJMaxx or Home Goods, but that is a great idea - they always have such variety.

I agree about house numbers. I think if I do a traditional (e.g. black) one, I'll need a plaque of some kind (rather than just putting them on the brick).

Thanks very much!

posted Hide Post
Could someone do a mock up to have the storm door the same color as the trim? Not sure how it would look right or not.

Ditto on the other ideas. Plants, seating, house numbers, mat etc.

Awaiting to see some after photos. I do love your new flagstone.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6166 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strings:
Could someone do a mock up to have the storm door the same color as the trim? Not sure how it would look right or not.

Ditto on the other ideas. Plants, seating, house numbers, mat etc.

Awaiting to see some after photos. I do love your new flagstone.

Thanks, Strings! We are going to (need to) leave the storm door as-is because it came as-is/pre-painted. I suppose it could be painted, but I do like the color with the brick.

I am more and more inclined to simply refinish the wooden door.

I will definitely post After photos!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
omg you made me take a second look at out porch...with no garage, we have to store certain things and have 2 large containers...but i've wanted to tile the concrete forever...or as crazy as it sounds, that garage floor stuff with the sprinkles in it? (non-skid)

hope your costco has this adorable owl thingy.., about 2 ft tall...we're nuts for garden gizmos in the back...

oh and along that new walkway what about some lights?

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Love the idea of a seating area.

Your new patio/walkway area is gorgeous!!

JMHO: House numbers need to be LARGE. Most are very hard to see from the street, especially if an emergency responder is trying to find you or someone who has not been to your home before. Smile

I always appreciate it when I am searching for an address, if the numbers are large and prominently displayed, not tucked in an alcove or behind the shrubbery. Again, JMHO.

I think the planters painted with ORB paint would look quite nice, especially if filled with something bright and full.

Have fun with your project and looking forward to the pictures of finished results.

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty stone walk-way. Love the colors in the brick siding and would pull one of those for the door or simply match the storm door color.

Agree that the house numbers should be larger also. I would also drop the numbers down so they fit right into that large slate brick area just below the current ones.

Are you interested in opening up the garden area to the left of the walk-way? The shrubs seems to encroach onto the walk way. It looks like you have a great space to create a patio/seating and retreat. Here is an example with before/after pics.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...042115122976.html?16

It would look nice to continue the plantings over the walk way on the other side. Create a larger curved bed there in front of the window filled with flowers and landscape lights. Lots of choices now with the solar ones. Easy to install without the worry of electric wires. Love to see a pic of the rest of the left side too.

A possibility for the ceiling fixture. Be sure to consider the scale so it doesn't get lost.
http://www.lampsplus.com/produ...ng-light__x3541.html

Do you have room to use a hanging fixture or will it interfere with door openings?

You have a great start with the new walkway. So have fun and play

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, all, super-helpful advice here.

I'm looking at light fixtures and hoping to find something with some visual interest (rather than your basic square fixture). Thoughts on this one please?

http://www.shadesoflight.com/n...-light-3-colors.html

Or maybe this one?

http://www.shadesoflight.com/h...r-ceiling-light.html

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like the first one that you posted, Azul.

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like the first one that you posted, Azul.

Thanks Grapefruit! Unfortunately, DH doesn't like it. He thinks it would be great for a beach house, but not for our house.

What do you think of this fixture for our house? It would go right above the door, on the ceiling of the overhang (current fixture is original 1952/53!):

http://www.lampsplus.com/produ...ng-light__65016.html

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
That's a pretty stone walk-way. Love the colors in the brick siding and would pull one of those for the door or simply match the storm door color.

Agree that the house numbers should be larger also. I would also drop the numbers down so they fit right into that large slate brick area just below the current ones.

Are you interested in opening up the garden area to the left of the walk-way? The shrubs seems to encroach onto the walk way. It looks like you have a great space to create a patio/seating and retreat. Here is an example with before/after pics.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...042115122976.html?16

It would look nice to continue the plantings over the walk way on the other side. Create a larger curved bed there in front of the window filled with flowers and landscape lights. Lots of choices now with the solar ones. Easy to install without the worry of electric wires. Love to see a pic of the rest of the left side too.

A possibility for the ceiling fixture. Be sure to consider the scale so it doesn't get lost.
http://www.lampsplus.com/produ...ng-light__x3541.html

Do you have room to use a hanging fixture or will it interfere with door openings?

You have a great start with the new walkway. So have fun and play

Beaus, I will talk to DH about plantings. That is really his specialty, not mine. He is resistant to removing those shrubs because they give us a little privacy/wall of sorts from the street. (I don't think that matters, but he does.) Still, they could certainly be trimmed back.

Love the solar lights idea!

I love the light fixture you posted but it is pricey. What do you think of this one?:

http://www.lampsplus.com/produ...ng-light__65016.html

Whatever we choose cannot hang too low because it would interfere with the door opening/closing.

Thank you!

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Oh I understand about the shrubs and privacy. We have those home territory issues here too. LOL about those DH "owning" the plants.

I like that last light you posted. Here is the pic for you. It is 10" high and 12" wide. I would mock it up with a piece of cardboard to see what you think. Even an old box cut to size it would give you an idea.

Also the first one you posted above is nice also. I like the round shape of it since it echoes the lines on the door sill.

Glad you liked the idea of solar lights. I have them for a couple of years now. Love them!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

pic

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Oh, these posts are so helpful - you have no idea. Thank you so much!

More questions Smile. I was inspired by this thread and went to Costco last night, where I bought this planter. I LOVE it. Not too modern for me (I'm a traditional gal), but not too staid either.

Costco has them in this blue color; in an earth brown; and in mustard.

Questions:

1 Thinking about buying two more. Two on left side of door, one on right. Too matchy-matchy, too much of the same-size item? Should I buy other types and mix?

2 If I buy two more, should they both be brown? Mustard? Or one of each?

Thank you SO much again!

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
View 2:

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
View 3:

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a mustard yellow planter. Thought about that color for your door but don't think it would work with the storm door. Do you want contrast with the planters?

Of course you can always get another blue planter and fill with yellow flowers.
The idea of matching your planters works for me as I'm a matchy girl. Are there different sizes available so you can have a grouping of them?

This is one of my favorite inspiration pics. They are filled around the edges and then a single tree type plant gives height.

pic

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
I would love to see a mustard yellow planter. Thought about that color for your door but don't think it would work with the storm door. Do you want contrast with the planters?

Of course you can always get another blue planter and fill with yellow flowers.
The idea of matching your planters works for me as I'm a matchy girl. Are there different sizes available so you can have a grouping of them?

This is one of my favorite inspiration pics. They are filled around the edges and then a single tree type plant gives height.

Love the inspiration pic - you are absolutely spot-on there. These planters call for some volume IMO.

DH and I just went to Costco and bought another blue one, as well as a mustard one. Blue on either side of the door, and then mustard elsewhere. As it turns out, I like the symmetry. I may invest in a ceramic animal of some kind, too, to break things up a bit. Smile

I'll post pics shortly - thank you so much!

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Mustard color planter:

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
I bought this side table at Costco, as well. I like that it is round (our house is so angular) and that it has no solid surface to dust (pollen is an issue here). I also like that it has a 50s vibe, consistent with the vintage of our house.

That said, I'm a traditional gal and wonder if it is too much. Also I will need chairs - we look forward to enjoying a glass of wine out here in the evenings. Smile I'm thinking clean lines, fairly modern.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really love your planters!!!! They look great with your colors!

I will say with all honesty that I do not care for the table. The color and style detract from your home ....in my opinion. I am not a decorator, so I will also wait to see what others think.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Love the planters!

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really love your planters!!!! They look great with your colors!

I will say with all honesty that I do not care for the table. The color and style detract from your home ....in my opinion. I am not a decorator, so I will also wait to see what others think.

Thank you - on reflection I think you are right. The table doesn't work with the rest of the area - back it goes!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i like matching planters...and the blue is very nice with your exisitng paint, ect...so glad you found the ones at coatco...

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
what about the shape of this one? still has soft rounded legs..but a bit more sturdy? what about solid wood to match the door? for sure marine varinish to withstand the weather?

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/...numcocktailtable.cfm

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone - back with an update and photos:

View from the front:

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
View 2, a bit closer up

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
We spent a little while out here yesterday, wine in hand Smile:

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Another view:

We bought the planters and Adirondack chairs at Costco and are very pleased with them as they were reasonably priced and are well-made (and the chairs are comfy!). We are not buying a table for now because the arms of the chairs are perfect for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Smile

We went with the mission-style light fixture (coordinating one at the kitchen door), which works well with the style of the house.

The two things that stymie me are the door mat and a new house number. Most door mats are either too small (30") or too large (50+"). The curve measures almost 50" point to point and a 30" mat looks tiny but a 50" one eats up the whole space. Does anyone know where I can find a plain/unembellished coir mat around 40" wide?

I'd also welcome suggestions for a house number.

Thank you!

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
To the left of the door:

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
The third planter.

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
Coordinating kitchen door fixture.

Ok, I think I'm done. Thanks for looking!

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Fabulous job Azul. Love the pots, great choice. Everything looks so pretty. Made me smile Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Ditto to what Lil Sophie said.
Looks very inviting, and the flowers are lovely. Enjoy your time sitting out there! Big Grin

Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post