Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What would you do with this entryway?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do with this entryway? Sign In/Join 
posted
We got this really nice shoe cabinet that I love. After a lot of debate, we decided to put the cabinet in the carpeted area because if we centered it on the wall it would cross 2 different floor types and there isn't enough room to put it on the wood floor. Now I just don't know what to do with the space in between the cabinet and the door. Any ideas? We already have a place for coats. It is a very large wall that has me stumped. Someday I would like to put a mirror above the cabinet if that helps. Thanks!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
How about a rectangular-shaped mirror that fits into the space, and a basket underneath it for holding purses, totes, whatever needs to be dropped at the entry?

You could also consider an umbrella stand.

Key hooks might be useful, too.

That is a great shoe solution!

Posts: 852 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that your space looks nice as it is! I would just add a mirror or artwork above the cabinet. You may eventually see a need for something between the door and cabinet, but for now I would leave it as is.

I mirror may be functional there, but some colorful art may add some punch.

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
I think that your space looks nice as it is! I would just add a mirror or artwork above the cabinet. You may eventually see a need for something between the door and cabinet, but for now I would leave it as is.

I mirror may be functional there, but some colorful art may add some punch.

Good ideas. What about colorful art and an umbrella stand?

Posts: 852 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Because I have a tendency to trip over things, I would not likely have anything on the floor at that spot.

How about something like this on the wall right beside the door?

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Because I have a tendency to trip over things, I would not likely have anything on the floor at that spot.

How about something like this on the wall right beside the door?

Great idea!

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
You might consider a green plant like a Mother In Law plant that is low maintenance and mostly upright, so it would not stick out into the room.

Just a thought,
Candy

Posts: 1330 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
or an old fashion umbrella stand?

I've never seen a cabinet like that! what does the inside of those sections look like?

Posts: 8593 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cabinet is from ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.../40216908/#/60156121. I do love it. It keeps shoes contained, hidden, and it looks pretty.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
My first thought looking at your space is a mirror over the shoe cabinet which you already mentioned but after re-reading your post I see are asking about the blank space on the wall next to it.

My thought was a plant but considering the shoe cabinet isn't that deep, would something sticking out wider than the cabinet feel in the way?

Can you take picture further back showing more of the wall and from the side so we can see the space from the side view?

BTW, I love the idea of the shoe cabinet.

Posts: 9817 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is our other wall with the coats. We have thought about putting it where we put the coats and moving the coats somewhere. But then I don't know what I would do with that big empty wall. Any thoughts?

posted Hide Post
Another idea for the shoe cabinet.

posted Hide Post
But then I have this big empty wall.

posted Hide Post
Wider view

posted Hide Post
From the side

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic's. You are fast :-)

If you use the shoe cabinet other wall, will you still have room to open up the door etc? I kinda like it over there...

That is big wall there next to the sofa. What about a slim console or sofa table there with a mirror over it or artwork?

Posts: 9817 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
Thanks for the pic's. You are fast :-)

If you use the shoe cabinet other wall, will you still have room to open up the door etc? I kinda like it over there...

That is big wall there next to the sofa. What about a slim console or sofa table there with a mirror over it or artwork?

What she said Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4869 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Always......and WWanda...

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you need a bookshelf for books or something to keep toys in for the kids that you could put on that wall next to the couch. Just wondering if you need some function out of that space or if it would be free to use as decorative space like a console/sofa table etc etc, maybe baskets under the sofa table for blankets or small ottomans for extra seating or anything like that...

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Baskets, umbrella vase, large crock, lots of useful decorative pieces will work. It looks as if you've got wee ones about, so anything that can serve as a catch all will be great. I use various sizes of old stone crocks for the dog gear, seasonal items, etc.

Posts: 3506 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
The shoe cabinet is cute. I've only seen it in pictures but have always wished I'd lived by an Ikea so I could see what it looks like in person.

Like the others said, I like it behind the door the best if you can still open the door without it bumping into the cabinet.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I am going to go against the rest as I like the coats hanging where you have them. But, I would raise the hooks a bit and put a bench below to sit on for putting shoes on and removing them.

Then, I would keep the shoe cabinet where you have it in the original photo, and add a snake plant to the side. I wish I knew how to post pictures as large as yours, but unless I shrink them to small size, the message won't post! Frown
Greenery always adds interest to a space.
I tried to show a picture of a snake plant but it is so small, it doesn't really give the idea.

Snake plants aka Mother In Law tongue are low maintenance and grow vertically, so they don't take up much space and won't spread out into the room.

The mirror or large picture over the cabinet would complete the space. A low voltage candlestick lamp on the cabinet could be plugged into a timer and set so that there would be a light on in the evening. A low dish, or tray on the cabinet top could also be used to hold keys, so they would always be easy to find.

JMHO,
candy

Posts: 1330 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Candy: I know what you mean about picture sizes. The best size pictures to post are about 500 x 400 dpi and around 75 kb. Larger files are permitted (up to 150 kb)

Let's see if this snake plant pic comes out. Smile
p.s. Looks like it did. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! You have all given me great ideas. I'm still not sure where we put it but I definitely have more ideas now. Thanks!

Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
I have little ones too and have hooks for their jackets. Take a look here for some inspiration:
http://www.redoyourroomonline....back-school-madness/

Good Luck!

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Please read guidelines to the left. Advertising is not allowed and members will not click on any such links!

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post