Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Living Room: Everything nearly done, but walls still EMPTY! (w/ HQ Photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living Room: Everything nearly done, but walls still EMPTY! (w/ HQ Photos) Sign In/Join 
posted
I have nearly finished decorating my living&study room. As I am not a person who is professionally involved in decoration, I have tried hard to achive what I have now. Therefore, my imagination is like came to a deadend now, and I can't think of what I can do for my empty walls. For me, they really seem so empty, and I have no idea, so recommendations appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: decoration++,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nice space!
I was thinking why not one of those animal hides from Ikea on the wall above the sofa?
Since the rug and desk area show lots of squares (small shapes together) and large square/rectangular spaces taken up by the window shade and screen... you might not want another large rectangular shape on the wall... so the organic shape of the hide might do... (with browns perhaps?) especially since you have that organic hide textural quality on the rug on the floor.

I would then introduce deep brown such as a whiskey color or cognac in order to bring the warmth of the floor up.

GREAT job putting your place together! Are you a graphic arts student or work with graphics? You have an eye for patterns.

And WELCOME to the boards! It is always nice to see new people post here AND posting photos!

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9809 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
FUN SPACE! Love the rug and the black and white with brown!

A metal wall sculpture would be great - retro or new. Take your time searching and buy what you like.

Really love how clean the lines are and am quite envious of that white couch!

Posts: 3438 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Art should speak to you. Do balance the white screen with a large scale piece. Enlarged photography or a large contemporary paint are options. An inspirational source tho the one Piece of art that I was going to suggest because of it's abstract composition and pop of red appears to be sold. In any event, don't rush into adorning that wall just to fill the void. BTW, Great choice on the sofa and rug.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...rary+art&FORM=IGRE#a

Posts: 18738 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Nice space!
_

Thank You Smile

quote:
I was thinking why not one of those animal hides from Ikea on the wall above the sofa?
Since the rug and desk area show lots of squares (small shapes together) and large square/rectangular spaces taken up by the window shade and screen... you might not want another large rectangular shape on the wall... so the organic shape of the hide might do... (with browns perhaps?) especially since you have that organic hide textural quality on the rug on the floor.

I would then introduce deep brown such as a whiskey color or cognac in order to bring the warmth of the floor up.
_

Well, I can't go with animal hide because it will make me feel sorry everytime that I look on the wall.
On the other hand, it really makes sense to hang something that has predominantly brownish colors and not rectangular. Therefore, the warm feeling on the floor may continue and something non-rectangular can stand out well.

quote:
GREAT job putting your place together! Are you a graphic arts student or work with graphics? You have an eye for patterns.
_

Well, I am an electrical engineer, but I generally involve in user interface design projects of industrial control softwares.

quote:
And WELCOME to the boards! It is always nice to see new people post here AND posting photos!
_

I will try stick here, also try to help others as much as I can.

quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
FUN SPACE! Love the rug and the black and white with brown!

Thank You!

quote:
A metal wall sculpture would be great - retro or new. Take your time searching and buy what you like.

It's a good idea, so now I feel like I should get a metal sculpture with brownish color and a non-rectangular shape.

quote:
Really love how clean the lines are and am quite envious of that white couch!

It was from this producer, but they haven't been publishing mine from the beginning of this week. I think they have made strange decision of stopping the production of those seats.

quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Art should speak to you. Do balance the white screen with a large scale piece. Enlarged photography or a large contemporary paint are options. An inspirational source tho the one Piece of art that I was going to suggest because of it's abstract composition and pop of red appears to be sold. In any event, don't rush into adorning that wall just to fill the void. BTW, Great choice on the sofa and rug.

This idea can be an alternative for metal sculpture. Now, what I am going to do is searching for both sculpture and artwork or photography, and buy the one which looks better and has a good price.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't have any ideas, but I wanted to say that you have a very nice room and have some real talent in putting it altogether. The rug looks great in that space!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
When seeing your first pic I immediately saw two great black and white photographs in that space, but I would do original ones, not from say AC moore or Michaels or such.

Two questions. What is the long vertical thing to the right in pic over the sofa? What is the screen for?

Posts: 12990 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
When seeing your first pic I immediately saw two great black and white photographs in that space, but I would do original ones, not from say AC moore or Michaels or such.

Two questions. What is the long vertical thing to the right in pic over the sofa? What is the screen for?

Photograph is also a good idea. What about sepia photographs instead of black and white?

And for your two questions; the long vertical thing is for reducing the disgusting look of power cables coming from the projector on the ceiling. The screen is for the image from the projector, so it's for watching movies or TV or using the game console.

Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hard on yourself, you did a nice job!

Have you thought about adding a wall decal above the sofa? Check these out here: http://www.allposters.com, http://www.wallsneedlove.com, and http://www.wallpops.com.

http://www.redoyourroomonline....d-stick-wall-decals/

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
last poster has been reported to administration.

Posts: 12990 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can go for wall mirror. It will not only look great but also utilize the empty wall space.
Check this out:

http://shop.killeenfurniture.c...droom.aspx?linkid=32

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the support.

I have combined your recommendations like,
+brownish color
+predominantly non-rectangular shaped
+include the shine of metal
+don't be quick, take your time!
+look for wall decals

I found a great thing by combining these ideas.

I've come up with the solution of applying a huge cityscape decal of the place that I'm living in.

and I've found this!

and the color that I've chosen;

finally, the result on my once empty wall;

Updated photo from my room Smile